I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flexcoast Lite past due?
Posted by: Peter Chan (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2012 06:40PM

A couple of years ago I did a repair job to a stripping guide wrap using Flexcoat Lite (2 oz. bottles). I stored the Flexcoat resin and hardener upright in my rod building Plano storage tackle box. Now I would like to finish the wraps on a light weight fly rod. When I went to use the Flexcoat this afternoon, I noticed the resin is still clear, but the harderner has yellowed and the plastic bottle of the hardener is tacky on the outside. Is it safe to still use this batch of Flexcoat? Will the mixed product remain and dry with some yellowing instead of the the clear finish you get with a newer batch? In future, what new expoy or other types of finish would anyone recommend to finish nylon wraps? Silk wraps? Up until this point I have only used Flexcoat and LS Supreme with good results.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flexcoast Lite past due?
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 21, 2012 06:54PM

You won't notice the yellowing since the thickness will be MUCH thinner on the wraps UNLESS they are white or extremely light. Either way, a finish is going to yellow over time. I don't worry about it.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns9.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 21, 2012 07:00PM

Hi Peter,
All hardeners yellow with time, it's a fact of life. Never seen the hardener weep through the botttle and I've got some that I used to use that hasn't been touched in about five years and it's, yellow but otherewise ok. You can do a small test wrap to check it but it should be ok as there is no shelf life on two part finish.
Permagloss is an option but you need a few coats to get a build up. Do a search here for application and storage of the stuff. Threadmaster also has released a water based one part finish but haven't tried it to date.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2012 07:22PM

I have seen the hardner weep through the bottle numerous times. The can all do it, every manufacturer. Test it!! Mix it up and try it on a scrap blank and wrap. If not good, throw it out.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 21, 2012 07:43PM

Flex Coat has done that for years. I dont know about the others as I go though it too quickly to find out. The 2 parts will still work just fine. The yellowing has been well covered already.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 21, 2012 08:01PM

There is a difference in the plastics used for housing epoxies. Some of the companies selling epoxies use a type that will allow the epoxy to seep through the plastic over time. Others use a type will not. But either way, it doesn't indicate the epoxy is bad. All hardeners will yellow or amber in the bottle or on the rod, over time. Your epoxy is fine.

Posted by: Jerry Cook (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: October 21, 2012 10:23PM

I just got a shipment containing Flex Coat and the hardner bottle was sticky to the touch. Resin was OK but the hardner I'm going to have to wrap in some plastic wrap. It seems it doesn't matter if it is a fresh batch or an old batch. My supplier is a sponsor on this site and I'm sure they move enough product, it isn't old. I'm not blaming the supplier. It just seems to happen.

Jerry

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 21, 2012 11:10PM

I should have addressed that point earlier, but I glossed over it. As mentioned, it is typical for Flexcoat to seep through the plastic. Just wipe the exterior of the bottle with alcohol and you will be fine. I am pretty sure that the bottles are attempting to "cry" for those that haven't experienced the pleasure of using Flexcoat products. LOL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster