I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

split grip and rod sensitivity?
Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: October 21, 2012 04:51PM

Hello,

I was talking to a friend who also builds rods and he claims that all things being equal, a split grip will be more sensitive than a traditional style because there is less material to absorb the vibrations transmitted by the fish biting, lure working etc.

I can kind of see his point but does it make a noticeable difference? I have only built one rod with a split grip and cannot really comment. I was wondering what more experienced builders think.

thanks,
Tom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: split grip and rod sensitivity?
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2012 05:02PM

Yes, there is a difference. The split grip alone isn't going to make a huge difference alone, rather building a more sensitive rod is done by taking every opportunity to think about what you are doing to the rod. When you combine the split grip with no fore grip (where applicable), trimmed reel seats, use of the smallest lightest guides to get the job done, and attention to detail in assembly technique, you can walk away with a rod that is 20% or more lighter, and much more efficient.

Joe

Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: October 21, 2012 05:07PM

Thanks Joe. You mention trimmed reel seats. Can you elaborate a bit on what you mean? Are you cutting down the length of the reel seat to the minimum? What does this accomplish?
Tom.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 21, 2012 05:10PM

If it results in a lighter rod, then the rod will be more sensitive.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2012 05:22PM

Tom,

I generally trim my reel seats when used on a build without a fore grip, so there are no exposed threads (or very little). It reduces the weight of the reel seat by ~0.1oz or ~10% of the reel seat's weight. It isn't much, but when you add that to the 0.3-0.5oz. you save from the split grip and dropping the fore grip, it starts to add up. The removed threads also make it easier for people who palm their reels to have a place to put a finger directly on the blank in front of the seat. I also find the threadless look aesthetically appealing as well. You can also slit the reel seat and remove a chunk from the middle to reduce the weight further for casting reel seats. Personally, I don't find the split seats comfortable, and choose not to split them for my personal rods.

Joe

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2012 07:28PM

Tom,
I think that a particular blank is going to have a certain feel to it.

Some folks will like to fish that blank with a full grip, and some folks will like to fish that blank with a split grip. Does it make any difference in catching fish? Likely not.

I think that the most important thing is that a person is happy with a rod, however it is built. If a person is confident in his rod, I suspect that confidence will translate to more fish in the boat.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: jack taller (139.192.80.---)
Date: October 22, 2012 01:40AM

you can buy split reel seat or you can make your own here is the tutorial [www.georgescustomrods.com]

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.134.---)
Date: October 22, 2012 11:45AM

I agree with Joe. One area that many don't consider, but can add significantly to rod weight, is burl cork. It can be almost double the weight of natural, unmixed, cork, according to some measurements I recently made.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 27, 2012 07:58PM

A chain is no stronger than its weakest link. The link between the rod and the fish is the line, which is the weakest link in transmitting the sense of touch - AKA "sensitivity." Other than trollers, who don't worry much about rod sensitivity, sport anglers nearly always have slack in their lines, slack between the tip-top and the fly/lure/bait, and slack in the guide train itself. Slack eliminates the sense of touch.
"Not so," you say? Put some fishing line with 6" of slack in it on the water. Blindfold yourself, hold the line as tightly as you can, and have an assistant pull 4" of slack out of the line. Tell him when he starts and stops pulling. You could repeat this test with whatever blanks you please, and determine the answer for yourself.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster