I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Recoil Spinning Guide Foot Wire
Posted by: Jim Scott (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 21, 2012 11:41AM

Hello all,
I am curious if i have a common problem or a something more serious? I am rebuilding a 7'-6 St Croix with Recoil spinning guides. The 25 butt guide foot wires are loose and no longer soldered together. I tried to superglue them but it did not work. My question is does the foot wires need to be connected or just tie it on the way it is?

Thanks for the help.

J Scott
Englewood, Fl

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recoil Spinning Guide Foot Wire
Date: October 21, 2012 12:10PM

This just in! i tied the guide on as it is and gave it a Forhan Locking wrap and it apears to be very solid and will work just fine. I guess i should have tried it first and not posted, but what fun is that.

J Scott
Englewood, Fl

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2012 12:12PM

Jim
I have never seen any Recoil guides connected (soldered, glued or otherwise) at the loop.

Date: October 21, 2012 12:20PM

Ken, not at the loop at the foot. I guess i didn't put that in my post. Sorry.
js

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2012 07:31PM

Jim,
I think that the recoils are welded at the foot in the factory.

Roger

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: October 22, 2012 02:31AM

They are welded, but the welds are very fragile and can break when you try to shape the foot with a file. I've learned that lesson a couple of times already. Great guides though.

Drew

Date: October 22, 2012 06:28PM

Does somebody make a knockoff of recoil guides? I purchased two guides to replace broken ones. The foot weld and prep is much nicer on the Recoils i ordered from Mudhole. All of the other guides appear to be just two wires side by side with no weld visible-Glued?. Now for the kicker....the wire is spiraled in the opposite direction on the original guides compared to the new Recoils. Could they be old versions and REC changed the design? No big deal, i will wrap them and call the job done, just wondering if anyone was aware of the knockoffs

On another note, wrapping these with a Forhan Lock, i like it. First time doing it and its not complicated at all..

As always thanks for the replies.

J Scott
Englewood, Fl

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster