I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Short 8 or 9wt
Posted by: Carl Seutter (---.mtaonline.net)
Date: October 21, 2012 02:53AM

I am trying to find a 8 or 9 wt blank that is only 7'6". It's for a 9yo girl to use for fishing sockeye on the Kenai river. I thought about cutting down a 10wt but feel that it wouldn't work since I'd be cutting the strongest part of the rod off. Does anyone out there manufacture a true 7'6" 8wt graphite blank? Or would I have to look for a spinning blank to use?

She has a 9' 8wt that is used for coho and chum, but it's too much to use for any length of time when flipping for sockeye.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Carl

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Short 8 or 9wt
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: October 21, 2012 08:50AM

try a popping blank

Posted by: kevin gross (---.static.izoom.net)
Date: October 21, 2012 09:56AM

I finsh reds on the Kenai all the time so i know what you are looking for. If you cut anything off of the rod to make it shorter cut off the tip. As you know reds on the Kenai run big and with the current you need a lot of rod. One thing you may want to look at is a spinning or casting blank. Again i would lean towards a stiffer rod. I have never seen anyone on the Kenai wish they had a softer rod and many that did not come with enough rod and had issues.

Kevin Gross
Many men will spend their whole life wondering if they made a difference. Marines dont have that problem - Ronald Regan

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.static.mdfd.or.charter.com)
Date: October 21, 2012 11:26AM

X2 with Mr Timberlake. Have built 2 piece popping rod blanks from Batson and discontinued Lamiglas blanks for short fly rods for some years.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: October 21, 2012 11:46AM

Since there is basically no casting involved, I agree with the idea of using a popping blank. The extra backbone will be welcome and the shorter length will require less strength to fight a fish in the current. Once she get a bit older and stronger, she can just use the 8 wt she has now.

I was eating some of my sockeye just last night and already looking forward to next year!

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.wrbg.mo.charter.com)
Date: October 21, 2012 01:23PM

Carl,
The only fly rods I'm aware of are the bass series from Sage and the Predator from Reddington.
These are 8' however and I've not seen the bare blanks.
St Croix 2SW76LM Light would be the closest I see in the catalogs. Closer to a 9 weight.

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 21, 2012 02:39PM

If you need a blank that length and weight, use a 10 to 12 weight blank, cut the butt off to the size you need and the rod should cast the weight line that she wishes to cast. Using a heavier weight blank and cutting off the butt end will bring the casting weight down considerably. May not be ideal, but should work.

Posted by: kevin gross (---.static.izoom.net)
Date: October 21, 2012 08:13PM

you need zero casting qualities in a rod for reds. You dont cast for them as they run within just a few feet from shore. I seldom if ever have more than 8-9ft of line out from rod tip to my sinker. Backbone is essential. Tough is essential. I would not spend a lot on a red blank. You just waste money by doing so. I have seen the Kenai reds break MANY rods in my day and i have seen guys almost cry when their 600.00 dollar rod snaps

Kevin Gross
Many men will spend their whole life wondering if they made a difference. Marines dont have that problem - Ronald Regan

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: October 22, 2012 02:30AM

kevin gross Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> you need zero casting qualities in a rod for reds.
> You dont cast for them as they run within just a
> few feet from shore. I seldom if ever have more
> than 8-9ft of line out from rod tip to my sinker.
> Backbone is essential. Tough is essential. I would
> not spend a lot on a red blank. You just waste
> money by doing so. I have seen the Kenai reds
> break MANY rods in my day and i have seen guys
> almost cry when their 600.00 dollar rod snaps

Kevin-You are right on. I fished the Kenai this past summer for reds with a buddy and his extended family. In his sister's family the boys each broke a Sage rod, their dad broke a Reddington rod and then broke a TFO rod---that he had borrowed from me. I have never seen such carnage in such a short time. Now I will say my buddy and I didn't break a single rod in 7 days of almost non-stop fishing. For Kenai reds, cheap and tough is the way to go.

Posted by: Carl Seutter (---.mtaonline.net)
Date: October 26, 2012 03:00AM

Thanks for all the input everyone! I've decided to try using a 2 pc popping/inshore rod for the blank. It sounds like the option that will provide the length and strength I need without breaking the piggy bank or feeling like a broom handle. The shorter length should help in being able to maneuver the rod during a fight and prevent her wearing out too fast. The St Croix was out of the price range, but MHX has one with similar numbers that is half the price. I'll look some more and maybe find some more to consider. It's not like it needs to be ready before June.

I'm not too worried about it breaking, it's a forgone conclusion. The kid is a good fishergirl, but ALOT of things happen on that river. Foulhooked fish bolting into the current, 5/8 oz sinkers hitting the blanks, and highsticking kills most of the rods I've seen break on those waters. Plain old accidents claim the rest. A nice supply of circle hooks should help prevent foulhooking fish, so that alone will go a long way in reducing the risks.

She has aleady lost one rod there. Her cotton candy pink rod with purple wraps was shattered in a van side door this summer. She still has her alpha II reel loaded with pink/purple flyline, however. The illusion colored guides will live on in the new rod.

Carl

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster