I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

sort of confused
Posted by: gaston arnold (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: October 17, 2012 11:10PM

so i am new to rod building and i am about to start a new rod.my question pertains to static testing.when i load the blank tied off to the tip top or tied off to the line from the reel?i tried both on my last rod and had two different results.in my brain i would think tied off to the reel because that is where a fish would be but i really dont know specifics about all this.so which is the prefered way and why? thank you for the help

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sort of confused
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns13.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 17, 2012 11:34PM

Hi Gaston,
Get the tip glued on and tie it off to there. If it comes off the reel then you don't get a natural bend in the rod, hence your different results.Put a good bend in the rod so that is close to your drag setting but don't bend the rod more than 90 degrees. You will be better off if you are away from the tie off point and not over the top of it. After that run the line through the guides and tie it off also but have it so it's just tight. Position your guides so that the line follows the blank curve as close as you can. The angle that the line makes at each guide should be as close as possible. The last three or four won't have that angle as the tip is usually fairly straight.
It's not that difficult or time consuming once you get the hang of it. Good luck.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2012 01:06AM

By tying to the tip you flex the blank in it's natural curve. Then you position the guides so that a line, with just enough tension to keep it taut, passes through the guides forming angles that match the blank curve as closely as possible. This causes the line tension from the force of a fighting fish to pull on each of the guides in a way that pulls the blank along its natural curve and you eliminate (drastically reduce) undue stress points.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.sub-174-252-176.myvzw.com)
Date: October 18, 2012 01:00PM

Now if a fish would just jump out of the water and grab the rod tip so that it would have a natural curve in it so that you can reel his friend in.

I build to real life situations by running the line off the reel and applying what I think would be the maximum drag experienced.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 18, 2012 01:04PM

The thing wrong with that is - each guide will pull on the blank at there location and give a false reading
When holding the tip itself down and putting a line though the guides you read the blanks arc

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 18, 2012 04:37PM

Jay,

Your method will work just fine, provided that you use enough guides spaced well enough that the added stress doesn't cause a blank failure. The force applied by the line on each guide will dictate the curve that the rod takes. The goal of the static test is to make the real life situation approximate the natural flex of the blank as closely as possible. Doing so reduces the amount of stress on the rod.

Joe

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 18, 2012 06:48PM

The only way to determine the natural and preferred flex curve of the blank is to load it from the tip, only.

From there you set up the guides so that once you do load it from the reel in an actual fishing situation, it will mimic that same original curve.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 19, 2012 02:46PM

Curses...foiled again!!!

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: October 19, 2012 06:03PM

Some of my rods are just gonna have to learn to live with stress then, like I do. .

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 19, 2012 06:14PM

That's the point - if you load from the reel while spacing guides, you will never have the blank's natural and preferred curve in play. You have forced it into something entirely different. Although, as long as you use a sufficient number of guides, I doubt you'd have any problems.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 19, 2012 06:17PM

I have been getting lazy
I put guides on space them however

Run a line though the guides with a weight on to put tension on it

Then - Very Carefully - Press down on the tip of the blank and check out the line to see how it Follows The Blank

Static Test

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster