I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Recoil guide size for steelhead fly rod
Posted by: John Gaylord (---.lightspeed.clmboh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 17, 2012 01:33PM

I'm building a 10' 8wt fly rod for Lake Erie tributary steelhead fishing. Iceing is a consideration and I intend to use Recoil single foot running guides for the flexibility that they contribute to de-iceing. I have heard that a larger size guide would also aid in the iceing problem. What size recoil would you all recommend?

John Gaylord
Keewaydin Custom Rods
Dublin, OH; Naples, FL
jgbuckeye@gmail.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recoil guide size for steelhead fly rod
Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 17, 2012 01:54PM

John, I would go with #5 as the running guides, either snakes or single foots. Large Loop tip top. #16 double foot stripper, followed by a 12 of the same style, then #5 all the way out. I have this set up on my 10ft 7wt and it works just fine, its used in the same situation as you are going to do. Mine has single foot running guides, never had a problem with knocking one loose due to ice and a line connection passing thru it. I also have a 9ft 8wt set up the same way. The number 5's may be a bit big in some peoples mind, both rods cast just fine without any line hang ups.

Posted by: John Gaylord (---.lightspeed.clmboh.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 17, 2012 01:58PM

Bill, just to be sure, are you using Recoils?

John Gaylord
Keewaydin Custom Rods
Dublin, OH; Naples, FL
jgbuckeye@gmail.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 17, 2012 03:19PM

John,
If icing is a serious consideration - like fishing when it is 10-20 degrees out - I never go with any smaller guides than a size 8.

Roger

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.wrbg.mo.charter.com)
Date: October 17, 2012 05:54PM

John,
I've an 8' 8 weight I use for trout fishing in windy conditions. It's also my first choice as a winter blank.
I'm using light wire #2 single foot Recoils for the top 3 guides.
Icing problems are minor with that guide size. It still may ice but the tip top is more likely to freeze shut.
My tip is a std chrome loop.
Don't know if it's the material or the fact that so much water is wiped off by the tip while stripping.
I any event 2's work fine but if you think you want more go with 3's.

Gene Moore

Posted by: Mike Marrone (---.sub-70-192-10.myvzw.com)
Date: October 18, 2012 04:00AM

go with double foot recoils, whatever the size that is equivalent to their single foot 4s. Double foot deal with ice much better than single foot.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 18, 2012 03:00PM

John, no I don't use Recoil guides. There is not much if any difference from manufacturer to manufacturer with regards to the sizing of there guides, as long as the guide style is the same. I will agree with Marc, snakes do handle ice much better, I just prefer single foots and that means a little more attention in conditions that they will ice up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster