I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

microwave guide system?
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 15, 2012 11:30AM

Do they have the microwave guide system come in casting guides, or are they just in the spinning sets?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: microwave guide system?
Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: October 15, 2012 11:50AM

They just come as spinning guides. The whole idea is to tame the line coming off the spool and that wouldn't apply to a casting rod.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: October 15, 2012 11:54AM

Its for spinning rods Lorenzo. What its does may work on a casting reel that does NOT have a level wind, but i don't know anyone who has tried it.

Date: October 15, 2012 12:00PM

Lol! Just curious, Cause of the Fuji concept where the casting guides is #10 then a #5, then 4.5 or 4s, but I guess you wouldn't really need them to be like the microwaveguides. Wonder how it would look though. A Microwave with a casting #10 and a #5, in one component.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 15, 2012 12:50PM

Lorenzo,
Just for your own curiosity, why don't you do a test build of a casting rod with a #10 and then all 4's.
Do you really think that any thing is gained by having the 5 in front of the 4's?

Roger

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 15, 2012 12:59PM

Hi Lorenzo,

It is correct that the recently released MicroWave guides are for spinning rod applications.

However, the theory behind the system holds true for any rod that casts including bait casting, heavy spin, surf, boat & even fly rods.

Interestingly enough, a 10/5 is the ideal sizing for bait casting rods. And in testing the 5mm running guides work extremely well with that stripping guide ring sizing. With this system there is no need to drop in ring sizes at all.

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Date: October 15, 2012 02:05PM

The reason I brought this up is because I have just built one with the #10, then the #5,then 4.5 running guides, I still got it on the dryer, and it should be ready for the real testing by tomorrow. It worked really well when I tested it with the guides taped on, so I know that it will work great! looks good too.

Posted by: jack taller (139.192.81.---)
Date: October 15, 2012 02:18PM

fuji KR concept used #10 KW (double foot) guide that has height 14,6mm
amtak microwave used #20/6 stripper (single foot) and very tall,height A 28,75mm; height B 43,75mm ;height C 46,70mm. it's from their web but they didn't have any diagram to describe which one is A, B or C
I think we dont need stripper that tall in BC rod.
but like everyone said if you not try ,you never know. maybe you can take your spinning rod(with NGC setup) and mount a BC reel on them then take few cast in backyard.it's shortcut test to view what happen if we put tall stripper on BC setup
IMHO

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 15, 2012 03:22PM

Hi Lorenzo,

You should have a good layout with what you have. Our testing showed that micro guide sets that started with a 6 or 8mm stripping guide seemed to work better over a straight 4mm without a larger stripping guide. Some micro guide rods just didn’t cast well under all circumstances (all we tested that is). Using a 10mm ring to gather and a 5mm to control onto 5mm running guides felt best in all circumstances. I would say that this sizing splits the micro – standard layouts down the middle with something that functions and is agreeable to all preferences. And with the physical sizing of the stripper/transition/running guides, they look awesome!

Hi Jack,

To the subject of bait casting the stripping guides I am speaking of (10/5mm combination) are prototypes where the ring height from bottom of the foot to inside diameter of the 5mm ring measures approximately 6.5mm. They were specifically intended for casting rods.

Best Regards,

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster