I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guides for steelhead rod
Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: October 14, 2012 06:41PM

Hello all,

I spent this weekend fishing for steelhead in the rain and was frustrated by my line tacking on to the wet blank. The rod I built had fly guides as the running guides. It worked fine when casting spinners/spoons but was terrible for float fishing.

Does anyone have any recommendations for some guides which will keep the line away from the blank but are still fairly light to keep the blank performance up?

thanks,
Tom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guides for steelhead rod
Date: October 14, 2012 07:10PM

One candidate would be the Fuji Alconite K-series spin/cast guides. Has anyone tried these?

thanks,
Tom.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: October 14, 2012 07:18PM

Tom Lusis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One candidate would be the Fuji Alconite K-series
> spin/cast guides. Has anyone tried these?
>
> thanks,
> Tom.

Yep-I've used them a bunch and really like them.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 14, 2012 07:23PM

If you want to keep the line off a spinning rod, use the Pac Bay Match guides.
Although tall, these are very light guides and work very well for this application.
I would doubt very much if you would have any issues at all with the line sticking to the blank.

[www.mudhole.com]

The chrome guides are fine and have no wear issues with the lines that are commonly used for Steel Head fishing.

By the way, if you wanted a set of match guides, let me know. I ended up with too many of these guides on my last order, so I have some extra ones. Just drop me an e-mail -
hflier@comcast.net

Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2012 07:25PM by roger wilson.

Date: October 14, 2012 07:27PM

Thanks for the input.

Drew, have you used them for a steelhead rod? I'm trying to decide what would be the smallest size to use because later in the season things start to ice up (i'm in southern Ontario)

Roger, I was using these guides as the butt guides. I'll take another look at them for the running guides as well.

best,
Tom.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 14, 2012 08:10PM

Is this a casting rod or a spinning rod

If casting rod you want the guide rings to be close to the blank so there is less tourk to twist the blank
Which can be Spiral Wrapped
If spinning Get some thing that the ring is father away from the blank - A spinning guide Minima's come to mind Light - or you may need more guides on it

Did you Static Test

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 14, 2012 08:25PM

Tom,

I don't do much steelhead fishing, but the only time I ever have issues with the line wetting to the blank is when I'm using mono that should have been replaced some time ago. What type of line are you using? What model, and size of fly guide are you using for your runners? What is your current spacing? Where on the blank are you having issues with the line wetting to the blank? Tip, mid section, butt?

Depending on you current spacing and where the wetting issues are occurring, a simple adjustment to the spacing and the addition of a guide may solve your issues.

The K series guides or Z series guides from Kigan will sit slightly higher than the typical fly guide, but not much, depending on the model. Like Roger pointed out Minima guides might be the best choice for you. The SV frames will likely give you the height you and ring diameter you are seeking.

Joe

Bill, I must have missed your post when I read through the thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2012 08:27PM by Joe Vanfossen.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 14, 2012 08:25PM

double post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2012 08:26PM by Joe Vanfossen.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: October 15, 2012 01:28AM

> Drew, have you used them for a steelhead rod? I'm
> trying to decide what would be the smallest size
> to use because later in the season things start to
> ice up (i'm in southern Ontario)
>

> best,
> Tom.

Used on 2 salmon rods with good results. I really don't deal with any ice, so hard to advise. The runners on my rods are 6's.

Drew

Posted by: Frank DeFranco (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: October 15, 2012 09:21AM

90% of my builds are float rods for steelhead fishing. If money is not an object, go with the Fugi Titanium TYSG's. They are strong and light. Else go with the Fuji CYAG's. For smooth transition I use the following sequence 20j 16j 12j 10j 8j 8j 8j 8lj 8lj 7j to the tip (the number of 7j's depends on the length of the rod). The transition from the 8 higher frame guides to the 8 lower frame then to the 7 higher frame is perfect. Many would consider it to be a non issue but since we build custom rods, it is our opinions that matter. Some prefer to run the 8's all the way up for icing purposes, but i like the sevens as they are only a tiny bit smaller than the 8's.

Hillsborough, NJ

Date: October 15, 2012 03:32PM

Thanks for the suggestions.

I did a static test before the final wrapping and things were fine. The fly guides were a smaller size, i can't remember the exact one at the moment.

It is a spinning rod, built on a six weight switch rod blank. New mono as well.

On a side note, with the exception of the guide choice I was really please with the way the switch rod blank worked out. Plenty of backbone but nice and light. Best of all it packs up smaller than my traditional steelhead rods.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 15, 2012 05:17PM

Being a spinning rod I am surprised the line is sticking to the blank
I have gotten Fuji Alconites and have seen them to have the foot come right off the frame holding the ring - no step up
then it also depends on if you make it - one guide per foot plus one
With the - step up - that holds the ring off the blank just that little bit and the guides at the 180 gravity tends to pull the line down Unless there are not enough guides

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.tmodns.net)
Date: October 16, 2012 02:38PM

G Loomis and others have used the Pac Bay M guides on their 1141 steelhead rods for 20 years or so till Shimano bought them. Not sure what they use now, probably Alconites.
I added new, larger guides to some 1141s in MI back some years ago. If I remember right went up to #7 from 4.5s and changed the tip to a standard tip. Didn't change mine Blakemore Reel Magic helped keep ice off the smaller guide ehough to keep me sane.

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: October 17, 2012 10:33AM

You can use SIC MATCH model M for spinning rod

Posted by: Gordon Stuart (---.home4.cgocable.net)
Date: October 20, 2012 10:39AM

were in southern Ontario are you ,and were do you get your suplies

Date: October 21, 2012 04:29PM

Hi Gordon,

On the outskirts of Toronto. I usually get things via Mudhole. There is another supplier in BC who I use on occasion as well.
Tom.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster