I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Carbon fiber butt grips?
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 13, 2012 05:22PM

I am wondering if those fiber carbon butt grips Mudhole has, if they need a butt cap on the end? Would anyone know? If so, would like to hear from you, Thanks, Have a good one!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Carbon fiber butt grips?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 13, 2012 10:12PM

All grips need a cap on the end guess you have not built many rods or got many grips

use cork of any kind -- eva to shape Whatever you like

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 13, 2012 10:33PM

Have to say your on your p's and q's Bill, I was just wondering since they are new to me, first time I saw them on Mudhole.

Date: October 13, 2012 10:37PM

Unless you get a handle kit you are going to have to make or buy a butt end for any handle
Then you can make them fit a lot better then they come -- off the shelf

I have taken even the rubber end caps and put them on my lath and sanded them down to fit the handle the way I wanted
it would be nice if I got paid for the extra work ???? But i have to like it -- Or the customer will not

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2012 10:45PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: bob elliott (---.natcky.res.rr.com)
Date: October 13, 2012 11:01PM

I was looking at these on the Mudhole site as well. Does anyone think they might need a seal coat on top of the fiber? I have wanted to build one from scratch but havent taken the time to yet. I may start with one of these and finish it out with spar or epoxy. What do you guys think? Dont mean to hijack the thread just wondering. Thanks

Date: October 13, 2012 11:17PM

Sounds like you would be better making your own You I think Will have to finis them - For 10.00 ??? 4"

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: jack taller (139.192.81.---)
Date: October 14, 2012 02:01AM

Bob
from what i see in mudhole
their carbon is textured, you can add top coat if you want smooth&glossy look
epoxy+sanding paper+urethane clear will work

Lorenzo
I have a plan to build my own carbon grip and still curious with butt cap too.thanks to bring this topic so we can hear from the expert

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse3.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 14, 2012 06:35AM

Hi Jack and Lorenzo,
There is a multitude of stuff that can be used for caps in carbon fibre grips ranging from from standard rubber caps, medallions, badges, buttons through to small metal caps offered by some manufacturers. There is probably a heap of other stuff that doesn't seem immediately obvious. Check out some of the stuff used in the 'grips, handles and reelseats" section of the photo page.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: October 14, 2012 09:18AM

Get a piece of round metal and have it engraved

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster