I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Comparing the two MHX 9' 5wt blanks
Posted by: Rob Grider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 09, 2012 10:15PM

I see by the CC figures posted for the two MHX 9' 5wt blanks that the 2 piece seems to be .25 ounce lighter, a touch more powerful and an action angle that is slightly faster than the 4 piece model, but I was just curious if anyone has built on either or both of these models to get a more subjective opinion. Hard to believe the 2 pc 9' 5wt is only 1.30 ounces! Thanks.

[www.fishmhx.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Comparing the two MHX 9' 5wt blanks
Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: October 10, 2012 12:55AM

Can't help you on l only build the F905-4-MHX (blank 45gr 1.59oz).
Very Nice Rod, one of the best 9' # tried, accuracy is top, fish short and long line, very good with Lee Wulff TT 5F.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2012 12:55AM by Eric MONTACLAIR.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: October 10, 2012 10:12AM

I really like the 905-4 as well. Nothing bad to say actually, it's an excellent 5 wt.

Posted by: rick sodke (---.vc.shawcable.net)
Date: October 10, 2012 10:24AM

I also only build the 4pc rods. IMO the convenience of the shorter package outweighs the slightly lower mass of the 2pc.
I have built several MHX 905's, 904 and 1004 and they are my favorite rod blank - they cast beautifully.

Date: October 10, 2012 04:38PM

Rick is the 1004 à little top heavy ? (as nearly all the 10')

Posted by: rick sodke (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: October 10, 2012 11:53PM

The blank is very light and my build was very light with size 1 single foot running guides.
The feel is significantly different than the 9' due to the extra length but once I slowed down my casting stroke it casted really well.
ERN:5.2 AA:70 for the 4wt. I used a 4wt Rio Indicator line and had no problem loading the rod. 70 foot casts were quite effortless (my normal casting distance on stillwaters).
I still prefer the 9' 5wt.

Date: October 11, 2012 01:02AM

Thank you very much Rick.
This MHX Fly blank are very good (I build F804-4, F865-4, F905-4, F906-4 And F904-4 is on the way).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster