I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I'm building my first fly rod I have some guide questions
Posted by: Mike Sloan (---.static.hckr.nc.charter.com)
Date: October 09, 2012 09:44PM

I'm sure there are many opinions on this but I'm just going to ask and then not ponder this any more. I'm building a 7 ft 2 pcs. 3wt st croix flyrod. I'm going to use wire snake guides. how many should I use and what type of spacing. and do I need one stripper or two and what sizes. I am fine with all the snakes being the same size if that advise is giiven. mostly using this for small trout streams and pan fish in a pond to teach a little one how to cast.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2012 09:45PM by Mike Sloan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I'm building my first fly rod I have some guide questions
Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: October 09, 2012 11:38PM

8 guides total will work well.

For a 3wt One stripper will work, two is more traditional. I'd probably do 2, 12,8, then 2,2,2,2,2,2,2. If you use 1 stripper, I'd use a 10.

Consider single foot guides, which will mean fewer wraps and a lighter rod.

Spacing is up to you, but St Croix publishes a guide spacing chart. It's very good. Here is their recommendations in inches from the tip....

4-9-15-21.5-28.5-36.6-45.5-56

Drew

Date: October 10, 2012 11:02AM

Thank you Drew, That was about what I was thinking. I'm going with the snake guides per request. I'm going to keep the wraps small and go light on the epoxy. I just really wanted to make sure it would be ok to run #2's the whole way down. and get an opinion on stripper guide sizes. I'm off to buy some stuff online!

Date: October 10, 2012 01:11PM

It looks like St. Croix suggests 8 guides I will use 10. what is the closest I want to put the first stripper to the reel I guess around 56 " from the tip and then I'll just figure out the rest. So i'm going to use 2 stripper guides and 8 #2's and a tip top? I can always take one of the snake guides off if i want.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 10, 2012 01:11PM

I would also use the guide chart that St Croix publishes with one exception, I would follow their measurements and tape the guides on the blank. Then run a fly line thru the guides and put some tension on the line causing the blank to bend, take a look at the line path, should follow the blank arc, if not you can move a guide up or down to get a better path if needed. Its called Static Testing and if you do a search on here you'll find some info on it. Not every blank is exactly the same and this will just allow you to tailor your blank.

I would use a size 8 double foot as the stripper then all the way out with #2 or #1. Rod that short doesn't need the extra weight of a second double foot guide that is the same style as your stripper guide. I would also go with single foots to reduce the extra wrap of a double foot snake. If your heart is set on snake guides, look into Snake Brand guides.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 10, 2012 05:07PM

A Looong time ago I have used ST Croix's 9 ft 2 pc 5 and 7 wt store bought rods with single foot wire guides on
They worked well Plus they only have One Wrap so you do get a little less weight on the tip
Performance Very Nice These were the SCIV fast action rods
These are what I learned on to cast Loved them

just a thought

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.wrbg.mo.charter.com)
Date: October 10, 2012 07:26PM

For a 3 weight rod you can go to #1 guides without a problem.
I'd suggest single foot light wire titanium for the top 2 or 3 guides.
If the rod is to be used with 6x or lighter tippet 7 guides are all that's required.
If you see the need for heavier tippet add 1 for 8 guides.
#10 Stripper guide at 59" from tip
Be aware that the more attached to the rod the slower it's response and the more effort required from the caster.

Date: October 10, 2012 09:30PM

Thanks for all the advise all is being considered. I think I'm going to use the titanium snakes from REC and i'm going to use single foot stripper bought a few different sizes to play with.

Posted by: Laurent Keiff (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: October 11, 2012 08:07AM

I second everything Eugene suggests:
1. you certainly don't need #2, #1 or smaller would do very well
2. go light wire. I just finished a 6'6 3wt with Batson's light wires, and I am thrilled by the way these guides preserve the action of the bare blank. of course snakes are traditional and plenty of people like them, but on a light build, single foot are the way to go IMHO.
3. there cannot be more than one stripper on a rod (since it's by definition the first guide, the one leading the line into the guiding system). functionally speaking, using 2 "strippers" for anything lighter than a 7wt is IMHO way overkill, and even then... but obviously, it's also a cosmetic choice.

I'd suggest a 10, then 3/2 and 1s all the way up.

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Date: October 11, 2012 12:03PM

I 'm going with a #10 single foot stripper I ordered an #8 and #6 so I may use 2 but i'll see how it looks. i'm thinking i'l just go with the number #1 REC light wire titanium snakes all the way down from there. I ordered 8 but don't have to use them all. This blank is supposed to be green pearl I was going to try and match the color of green as close I can with the blank. I'm not good at picking colors any suggestions. I may try a small tiger wrap above the grip. Thanks for al the input everyone.

Posted by: Jerry Cook (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: October 12, 2012 06:49PM

While we are on the subject of guides here, I've a question I'm pondering. I've only used single foot on 3 and 4wt rods. Getting ready to build a 9' 6wt 4pc on a Batson RX7 blank. I would usually use snake guides here but am considering using single foot to keep weight down and action up. This rod will be used for trout and smallmouth. Will be throwing small streamers and occasional larger drys. What da ya think about using single foots on this rod???? Or, would you continue to use snakes?

Jerry

Date: October 12, 2012 07:18PM

Jerry,
Consider using both.
#2 Light wire titanium single foot for the top 4 guides
The remainder can be std wire hard chrome snakes with 2 double foot strippers #10 and #12.
Looks good and traditional casts better.

Date: October 13, 2012 07:12AM

Thanks Eugene. Makes sense, although I've never considered mixing single foot with snakes. Just looking to get the most out of this rod, distance and accuracy with ease of casting. The guy that is getting this rod is an outdoor writer and I want to get some good "ink" out of this.

Jerry

Date: October 13, 2012 10:44AM

Jerry,
You might consider a better blank, if budget allows.
10 guide set-up for a heavy tippet rod.
9 guide for a finesse rod with lighter tippet.
My first choice would be a 9 guide set-up for clear water. Will still handle smallmouth but all may not make it to the net.
Guide location from tip
4.8; 10.2; 16.4; 23.4; 31.5; 40.6; 51.0; 62.9; 76.4
(4) #2 light wire titanium single foots
(2) #3 double foot snake
(1) #4 double foot snake
#10 double foot alox
#12 double foot alox

Good luck

Date: October 13, 2012 11:49AM

Eugene, you have my attention. You said I might consider a better blank? What blank would you recommend? I've been using Batson and MHX, and on one rod I build to sell "on a budget" customer is a PacBay blank. But, on my better rods, Batson and MHX. I'm all ears guy,,,,or in this case eyes.

Thanks,

Jerry

Date: October 13, 2012 12:14PM

First my apology to Mike for using this thread.

Jerry,
It's hard to justify, for myself, Placing expensive guides on a "value" blank
Lately most of my builds have been St Croix. Price range for any budget.
I've not cast a TFO BVK but have been told they have a good feel and they are priced well.
You might also consider the Cabela's PT blanks. They are American made and currently on clearance.
I've built several and though a little slow can be "crisped-up" thru a light build. They won't break the bank either.

Good luck,
Gene

Date: October 13, 2012 01:17PM

Gene, I too offer my apology to Mike as we certainly got off subject here. My "value" blank is the PacBay Tradition II blank and I just use chrome snakes on those. My better rods I use Batson RX7 or RX8 and MHX blanks. On those I use H&H or REC recoil guides. I like single foot on 3 and 4 weights and 5 can go either way. I'm just exploring the idea of using single foot on 6 and possibly 7 weights as well. I like to build light, medium fast to fast action rods. Sensitive also.

Thanks,

Jerry

Date: October 13, 2012 06:06PM

Jerry,
I've also an 8 foot 8 weight that uses light wire single foot guides in the tip section.
Rod tips are sooo light no reason to burden them with heavy guides.
My feeling was if the blank deflected easily the guides didn't require a lot of strength.
Action vs reaction
Where does the load on the guides come from except the rod.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 13, 2012 10:49PM

better performance with the lightest guides on the tip or the whole rod

It is a 3 wt fly

Try a search of the weight of single foot wire Minimas and or snakes

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2012 10:52PM by bill boettcher.

Date: October 14, 2012 11:27AM

I don't mind this thread going sidways at all. I'm still learning from this conversation. I am planning to use a single foot stripper guide for this 3 wt, is that a bad Idea? will it tangle? i have a size 10 aluminum oxide fuji single foot fly rood guide. Should I go double foot?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster