I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Minama 4 Stripper Guides
Posted by: Don Lukehart (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: October 09, 2012 07:46PM

I am in the process of building a 8' 2wt. 2piece fly rod for a friend that has been using mine for the past year. Have heard a lot about the Fugi KWAG stripper guides and thought I would try them on this rod. They really do look nice and I do like ceramics for strippers but I can notice the difference in weight between them and the Minama 4's and that is without a scale! I also realize that they are located on the butt section where weight is not as important but still would like to keep it at a minimum. My question is how good are the Minama stripper guides because I have never seen anything posted about them? Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Minama 4 Stripper Guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 09, 2012 08:12PM

Good in what regard? They do everything that needs to be done as far as I can tell.

Posted by: Abram Harrison (---.dsl.teksavvy.com)
Date: October 09, 2012 08:27PM

In my limited experience, two rods, they are great. Not sure about weight comparisons to other guides, but they are pretty light.

Date: October 09, 2012 08:34PM

I have seen posts on the minama's as running guides but it seems that a lot of people here like to use other guides for strippers and tip-tops. That is my concern Tom?

Date: October 09, 2012 08:42PM

I still don't know what advantage you'd get from a ceramic stripping guide in this application. By the same token, any weight advantage in that particular location would be negligible.

Date: October 09, 2012 08:44PM

Thanks Adam I also have them on one rod and like them also but don't know about the long run and as I stated to Tom I am curious why some people here are changing when it comes to strippers?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 09, 2012 08:48PM

I would use a casting guide that has some color in the ring A ceramic ring Like Pac Bay
give the rod some class

And single foot wire

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2012 08:52PM by bill boettcher.

Date: October 09, 2012 08:51PM

Tom I guess I am just old school on ceramics as strippers. Took a long time to get to single foot guides and only one stripper on a rod over a 5wt.!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2012 08:56PM by Don Lukehart.

Date: October 09, 2012 08:53PM

I agree Bill it gives it a little more class. Well put!

Date: October 09, 2012 08:55PM

In reality, you can only have one stripping guide anyway - the butt guide on a fly rod is the one and only stripping guide. Remember, the line doesn't care one way or the other how many feet a guide has. I know it takes some getting used to, but once you view the guide system the way the line does, you open up a lot more possibilities as to what can be done.

Date: October 09, 2012 09:04PM

That as one of the many things that I have learned from this site but I think the most important is to obtain a rifle effect in the guides as soon as possible.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: October 09, 2012 09:05PM

You are talking about a 2 wt. rod. I would go Minima 4 guides for the whole build. I am building a 5 wt. rod and using the Minima 4 guides. I am planning a 7 wt. build, and once again, it will be Minima 4 guides. I am a new convert to the Minima 4 guides, but I really think that you would have to be over fishing a rod to cause a problem with these guides. When I say over fishing, I mean trying to land a large fish on a small rod. I know it can be done (I have done it), but I was young and dumb, and didn't think about the abuse I was putting the rod through, not to mention the abuse of the fish. I don't think you will have any concern with using these guides on your 2 wt. build.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Date: October 09, 2012 09:15PM

The stripper is up to you
I like a little color in the ring Even a Agate

If the Minima's weigh less then single foots fine
It is a 2 wt and should have the lest weight as possible on it

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 09, 2012 09:18PM

Thanks Mike. Like I said this rod is rated as a 2wt. but really throws a 3wt. line better for the streams here in Pa. I agree also about the minama's all the way but my buddy likes recoils. And you can't go wrong with them either.

Date: October 09, 2012 09:24PM

He may here some singing from the recoils

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 09, 2012 09:30PM

Bill IMHO I have only run into that in heavier weight rods.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: October 10, 2012 01:01AM

Mike what size (style) Minima 4 you use on your build ?

I found T style for stripper in size 8 is fine, but for running style F in size 5 seems big and size 4 seems a little on thé down side.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: October 10, 2012 06:53PM

Eric:

I went Minima T strippers in size 12 and 8. Since I was using the black frame with chrome insert, I used the Minima F in size 6, and a Minima P size 6 tip top. I am with you in that I thought that the size 4 F guides looked a little small. I would have gone with the size 5 guides if they had a size 5 tip top in black and chrome Minima 4. I have since talked to Pac Bay, and was told that the Minima F guide in size 4 would pass a 10 wt. line with nail knot without any problems. I was also told that they had given the go ahead to production Minima tip tops in size 5. Since this was my rod, I didn't have a problem using the larger guides. I think that if I was doing the rod now, I would have done it with the size 5 F guides, and used a black loop style tip top. I would leave the tip top unwrapped and then replaced the tip top with the Minima 4 size 5 tip top when it became available. I am seriousely thinking about redoing the running guides on this rod.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: October 11, 2012 01:04AM

Thanks Mike.

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: October 12, 2012 11:36PM

I've used size 4 Minima's on 5/6 wt flyrods. A size 4 Minima would be at home on a rod throwing a 3 wt line. I like to "one up" the tip top - in order to get a little more easy of a knot pass through this initial (often) steep angled transition. I'd go with a size 5 Minima F guide. Just wind on the tip top rather than using a tubed, metal sleeve as a tip top - particularly since a blank that delicate doesn't mind. I'd bet that "2 wt" blank has a thinner diameter than a 4/64th sleeve anyway. Wrapping a guide on for a tip top is becomming more common for custom fly rods for many a good reason. Also, I don't understand the so called "logic" in "old school" that uses Ceramic ring stripping guides, and then transitioning to a piece of twisted wire? Makes no sense. I'd use the same guide material throughout.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster