I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide question - fly rod for stripers
Posted by: Joe Rausa (---.hrbgpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 08, 2012 05:49PM

I need some guidance on guide sizing/selection for a 9', 9wt fly rod I'm building for stripers/blues. I asked the blank supplier for recommendations on guide sizes and he merely copied the Sage guide selection available on-line. In the case of Sage, they suggest 16,12, 4, 3, 2,2,2,1,1,1 for their 990 TCX. I thought the 2 and 1 a bit small for my application as I will be using 10wt intermediate line on a large arbor saltwater reel.

I went to Mudhole and looked at their heavy duty guide set 20-16-12, FRG-6-6-6-5-5-5-5-5 which seemed a bit "heavy" for my application, so I did some more on-line reaearch and found a reasonable selection might be 16,12, 5, 5, 4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3.

My questions are for those who may have built a striper rod to throw 10wt on a 9wt rod:
1) Is the 16 OK or do I need to start with a 20?
2) Do I need to step down 5/4/3 as above or can I just go 12 to 3?
3) I could test some guide combos, but I have no idea how to "tape" guides securely - thoughts on securing guides for testing?

Any input from the collective knowlegede base is greatly appreciated.

BTW, to complicate matters, I will be tossing clousers/deceivers with this set up out of a kayak.

Thanks
Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide question - fly rod for stripers
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 08, 2012 06:17PM

1. A 16 is fine for the stripping guide. You might take a look at a high frame spinning type 16.

2. You can leave out all those unnecessary sizes in-between and go 12 to 3 and actually create a straighter line path at less weight.

3. Tape will secure the guides well enough for lawn casting.

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.sntc01.pacbell.net)
Date: October 08, 2012 06:49PM

16-12-#5 snake-#3 snakes to tip. I just finished a nine weight striper rod for myself and used this layout with PacBay DPL strippers. They look like they will take a beating! Works great!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2012 07:01PM by Greg Foy.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 08, 2012 07:02PM

Joe: Before you wrap up a blank I suggest you take the fly line you plan to use, the leader you plan to use, and join them in the way you prefer. Then see if the line-leader connection always passes smoothly through the smallest aperture(s) in your guide train. If there is any hang-up my experience predicts you WILL lose fish about to be landed, you WILL cuss a lot as you attempt to pass leader and line through your guide train preparing to cast , and you will end up cutting off the guides and replacing them.
Besides using tape to secure guides for testing you could always use 5 or 6 turns of elastic sewing thread (available at any sewing supply store) tightly wrapped around the guide feet and the blank and secured with a square knot. This thread is plenty strong enough for your task, allows the guide to be repositioned without trouble, and leaves no residue on the blank when you are finished.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: October 08, 2012 10:03PM

if you follow Phil's suggestion on how to get the correct guides don't forget the size of the tip top then use Tom"s suggestion on the guidrs don't play with differant sizes go 16, 12 , then on the same size from there on an it should be the size you need for the line an knot to pass thrue it , this will save you some lost fish , snake brand snake guides have a curve to the foot on the wire guides it helps on the tip section when you put the guides on , this will be a little more costley but not bad , MY 2 CTS

Posted by: Joe Rausa (---.cmts.eph2.ptd.net)
Date: October 09, 2012 07:26AM

All excellent suggestions.
Thanks for the guidance.
Really like the idea of using elastic sewing thread for securing guides for testing.

Regards,
Joe

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 09, 2012 07:57AM

90% of my fly builds are for stripers in the surf. I only use REC single foot heavy wire recoils for the runners. I also use their Recoil tip-top. MAkes a big difference in performance. All runners are the same size.
I have experimented with both #3's and #4's - I see no difference.

You can use the REC Recoil stripper in #20 and the next in a #12. I use the #20 not for its opening but because it keeps the line off the blank.

I also use the Fuji TSVSG (being discontinued) for stripper in a #16. next guide a #12. I like those because they keep the line farthest from the blank. Been experimenting in heavier rods (#9 and up) with the #20 TSVSG - and it seems to give you a little more performance.

Oh - you do not need 10 guides. 9 are fine. Just watch your static testing.

Regards,
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster