I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help choosing a 10 wt blank
Posted by: Abram Harrison (---.dsl.teksavvy.com)
Date: October 07, 2012 03:17PM

I'm planning a 10wt build for pike fishing, casting bunny strips with a wire leader. My two main rods are TFO lefty Kreh Signature Series 1 rods, and I really enjoy casting them. I guess they are a moderate-fast action, they say IM6 graphite on the blank. That would make them something like 44 million modulus? I'd like to find something similar to this action, but try something other than TFO. So far my options are a Tiger Eye blank, a Batson RX7, American Tackle Matrix blanks, and whatever PacBay sells. Anyone with experience casting these have any advice?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help choosing a 10 wt blank
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 07, 2012 04:14PM

Hands down CTS Affinity-MX - if you like a moderate action. But you should really - for pike - try something a littlle faster and faster like the CTS Affinity-X.
Regards,
Herb

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.usar.army.mil)
Date: October 07, 2012 04:55PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

I rock a 9' 10wt Batson RX7 for Muskie. It is a nice rod for the money, tosses a custom shooting head (417gn 18') like mad!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: October 07, 2012 07:55PM

Haven't messed with the newer TFOs, but if they are similar to the earlier rods the least expensive rods/blanks were fast actioned, but lesser powered than the TiCrx and other upper end models. For instance the 10 wt. Professionals were CC'd at 8.9 and the TiCrx versions were CC'd at 14.65 if I remember right. Both were action angled at over 70 degrees, which is a fast action blank.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2012 07:56PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: October 07, 2012 08:02PM

I can't tell you what to get, but I can tell you you will not like the 10wt Tiger Eye. It's heavy and slow.

3 that would be in the running for me in that situation:

MHx
Quickline
Batson Rx8 (probably my top choice for this kind of fishing unless you want to spend a bit more) maybe a 9wt!

Good luck.

Posted by: kevin gross (---.static.izoom.net)
Date: October 07, 2012 08:13PM

I would go with a Batson RX-7! I have a 10wt i use in Alaska for salmon and its a superb rod. I am sure there are better out there but not for the price. Its the best value out there. The RX-7 is a rod that fishes like a rod that costs a few hundred more dollars!

Kevin Gross
Many men will spend their whole life wondering if they made a difference. Marines dont have that problem - Ronald Regan

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: October 07, 2012 09:45PM

Check out the Pac Bay Quickline - just plain old excellent. I have heard it easily compared to some good Sage rods by someone that is a better fly fisherman than me.

Thanks - Marc

Keep it simple - that's all I can handle!

Posted by: Abram Harrison (---.dsl.teksavvy.com)
Date: October 07, 2012 10:34PM

Thanks for all the opinions. I was leaning toward the RX-7, I never thought of the quickline. Maybe I'll build both...

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: October 07, 2012 11:17PM

I'm with Herb on the CTS recommendation, superb blanks. The Affinity X is a fast taper and a powerhouse of a blank, but a pleasure to cast big flies with. If price is a concern, look to the Quickline blanks or maybe a MHX.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.wavecable.com)
Date: October 08, 2012 02:35PM

IF9010
Rainshadow RX7 Fly Rods

Component Part Number Part Description
Rod Blank Model # IF9010-M or IF9010-OG 9' 2pc 10wt Fly IM6 Matte or Olympic Green
Butt cap: CEVAFB-3 1.5" Cork EVA Fighting Butt
Reel Seat: RA8L2-SG #8 Alum Fly Reel Seat w/recessed hood & Double Locking Nuts & Trim Ring - Shiney Gunsmoke
Reel Seat Shim: SHIM/16/SPIN Proof Board .590" OD 3.70" Length
Grip: FW7.375CS-340/900 7.375" Full Wells Fly Grip .340 bore/.900 Real Seat Cut Out Super Grade Cork
Winding Check: AWC476 Aluminum Winding Check .476" I.D.
Hookeeper: HKS Hook Keeper
Tip Top XHFTL6.5 SS316-Chrome Plated Large Loop Fly Top 6.5 Tube
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XHSNGP SS316- Snake Guide - Polished
Guides (see below for size and quantity) XMXNZG ALPS SS316-MXN Guide w/'Z' ring Polished

Guide order from the tip top Guide Guide Placement - In inches from the tip top
1st XHSNGP3 4.5"
2nd XHSNGP3 9.5"
3rd XHSNGP3 15.5"
4th XHSNGP3 22"
5th XHSNGP3 29"
6th XHSNGP4 36.5"
7th XHSNGP5 44.5"
8th XMXNZG12 54"
9th XMXNZG16 64"
10th XMXNZG20 76.5"

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Jeremy Oster (---.sub-174-234-12.myvzw.com)
Date: October 08, 2012 09:17PM

I am finishing a 12'6" 9/10wt spey rod from anglers roost and its the best casting rod I own. Check them out I know they make single hand rods too and you can't beat the price. This will be one of many blanks I will buy from them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster