I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

U-40 Perma Gloss vs. Flex Coat finish
Posted by: Jerry Cook (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: October 06, 2012 03:50PM

OK guys, this si probably beating a dead horse, but here goes anyway. Oh, and I did a search for past comments and didn't find what I was looking for.

I'm fairly new to the building business. I'm faniliar with Flex Coat rod finish. I just recently purchased some U-40 Perma gloss. It is a one part finish and therefore I felt it would save me some time. However, as we all know, saving time is not always the best route to take.I'm after high quality product. I don't work for nothing and I expect to produce a top quality product and my customers are paying me for the same.

Now, to the point, Any benefit using U-40 over Flex Coat? Any problems using U-40 I should be aware of?

Any comments form you folks would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jerry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: U-40 Perma Gloss vs. Flex Coat finish
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 06, 2012 04:07PM

Two entirely different products. The PermaGloss is a urethane, It is harder, clearer and more flexible than any of the common epoxies such as Flex Coat. However, it will take multiple coats to build the same depth and does not set to a smooth surface. It has more of what is referred to an as "eggshell" surface.

Date: October 06, 2012 04:17PM

Thanks Tom. That is exactly what I was looking for. I knew they were two different products but just didn't know if it was a slick finish or otherwise. I'm thinking I'll stick with Flex Coat. I prefer the slick finish, but may use the U-40 on one of my rods I build for me,,,just to use it up..

Thanks,

Jerry

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 06, 2012 05:02PM

Be sure to TOTALLY ventilate your workspace when using PermaGloss, it is an extremely unhealthy product to inhale.

Posted by: Hunter Armstrong (---.rcmdva.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 06, 2012 06:32PM

Additionally, Perma Gloss will also melt the graphics off decals if not gently applied over them. This is one of my many self-taught rod building lessons!:)
Tight lines,
Hunter

From ghoulies and ghosties,
and long leggedy beasties,
and things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

Posted by: sam fox (108.59.99.---)
Date: October 07, 2012 11:24AM

Permagloss has quite a learning curve and is very unforgiving, that said I have used it for several years and actually prefer it for some applications. I keep mine in the refridgerator and do not open it till I;m ready to use it. I pour just the amount for use in a glass shot glass and immediately cap the bottle and return it to the refridgerator. It will set up in few hours and I repeat the next coat exactly as the first. I wipe out my shot glass with epoxy cleaner immediately after each coat. Do not leave the main bottle exposed to air or it will set up and be sure to wipe the top off after pouring it off or you will never get the cap off again. If you take the time to learn to use it you will find it is a great product.

Posted by: Scott D parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: October 08, 2012 03:10PM

If you are looking for a 1 part finish, try our new ThreadMaster One. it has taken off quite well and works very good.
Thanks
Scott Parsons

Scott Parsons
919-900-8998
[www.roddancer.com]
[www.fishhawkthreads.com]

Posted by: Casey Abell (205.145.107.---)
Date: October 09, 2012 03:20PM

What kind of build up can you expect with the threadmaster.... a one part water cleanup finish sounds very appealing

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 09, 2012 04:03PM

Go here and read all about it
[roddancer.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Scott D parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: October 10, 2012 09:21AM

You can achieve a nice build up in 2 coats, but definately with 3. It dries rather quickly so between coats time is drastically reduced. It is also excellent for repair work because of the dry time.

Scott Parsons
919-900-8998
[www.roddancer.com]
[www.fishhawkthreads.com]

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 12, 2012 12:56AM

There is also allot of write ups on U40 PG and a few methods on application procedures some builders have come up with on there own. I would suggest reading them as well, do a search here on this forum for those write ups I am sure you will find them a good read. I use the product U40 PG exclusively for my finish and rod repair work. Like you I was searching for that one finish that would be equivalent to our mass producing agents out there and I found what I was looking for in using the U40 PG. Hope this helps ! Goodnight folks !

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Date: October 13, 2012 12:32PM

Rick, thanks for your input. I have a question for you though. How well ventilated is your work space. I've read comments on here it is not good to breath the fumes from this product.

Thanks,

Jerry

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 13, 2012 12:59PM

Jerry Cook Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've read comments on here it is not good
> to breath the fumes from this product.

"Not good" is a huge understatement. It is DEADLY to breathe the fumes. In addition, it is HIGHLY flammable.

The thinning agent in PG is Xylene. You can read about it here ... [www.osha.gov].

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 18, 2012 07:38PM

I have used Perma Gloss for nearly 40 years, and for someone to call it Deadly is total "Bull @#$%&" I would be dead or sick if that were the case. Randy Ruwe

Date: October 19, 2012 12:47AM

Sorry Was sick with the flu for a good while, haven't had a chance to do much of anything of late. To answer your question here. Like anything we use for an industry or hobby or what ever the project maybe. You should always be aware of what chemicals you are using in or around your work space. When using paints and thinners or reducers make sure your reading the labels and using the proper safety equipment in respect of the chemicals you are about to use. My studio is set up with adequate ventilation and a exhaust system to handle any excess VOC's that will occur during my painting process. I would also recommend getting a painters OSHA approved VOC Mask, theses would be the ones with the replaceable charcoal filters and keep a extra set available on hand. I use an Air brush with a specific sized tip to spray my U40PG with almost very little over spray if any. Actually I would probably get more over-spray if I was using a rattle can spray. I use the mask because I am sensitive to VOC even from my wifes nail polish! I cant even stand the smell LOL. My Process is very safe and effectively produces the finishes I want with out having to have a full sized auto type painting room. Just a reminder here folks even a simple rattle can of rustolem has VOC in it and can have some bad effects on ones nervous system especially if your body is sensitive to such things. Make sure you have proper ventilation before spraying anything with VOC in it. I hope this answers your question Jerry C. Have a great evening folks !

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: October 19, 2012 05:44PM

anyone getting an eggshell finish using Permagloss is not applying the finish correctly.

Date: October 19, 2012 08:17PM

I have found that egg shelling or "orange peel" will occur with U40 PG. I suppose I can share what I know thus far with my spraying process and my experience in my finish application method. Your going to get this eggshell effect in this application method. However you can eliminate most of it and come out with a more than satisfactory finish that is acceptable beyond the foam brush or standard brush application method. Depending on the color or if you are just shooting a clear coat you can eliminate the eggshell by shooting with a HVLP process in mind. Meaning 'high volume" using a max amount of product the sized tip will deliver, then using the correct amount of "low pressure" air to atomize it from the tip. I tend to lay my fist coat on heavy and wet as we say in the painting industry and the second coat just about the same. I have found that humidity plays a big part of how much eggs shell I am going to get.This is were you get into flash times (how long you wait in between first and second coat or even a third if your process requires it. This comes with experience in application ....you have to work with this for a time to get it down so its a on hand learning curve here. How much you reduce and what your using as a reducer will also be a factor in reducing egg shell on your final coat. This is getting long winded here so I am going to cut it short with a final procedure I use if I do not want any egg shell or orange peel in my final finish, in other words its perfect all the way along the blank.

After my finish is dry I will wet-sand the rod with 2000 paper (wet) then polish the blank with a heavy cutting compound that will remove 2000 scratches and then a final polish compound to make it look like glass. Thats how I get a perfect finish done. It sounds like allot of work but it really goes fairly quickly, in fact once you have it down you can do it in less than hour. I wrote this because I see allot of folks asking How or what ? When they are trying to get that OEM finish this is how I duplicate a clean glossy finish the mass production folks are putting on the shelves . So there it is for what its worth folks I hope this helps ! Have a great evening and have fun with building!! As I do ! I wrote this quick sorry for the spell check !

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster