I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: heat gun
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 06, 2012 10:11AM

Thanks for all the info guys
Don't think I would feel confident with a 20.00 gun But some thing about 80.00 would probable work well
Been looking at Home depot and sears Like the Milwaukee

Got one of those 20.00 drills from Granger It works But like said should have spend more for a better one
As soon as it craps out ??? it may last a while

Bill - willierods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 06, 2012 06:01PM

Bill,
Makes sense on your choice of the Milwaukee gun.

That same line of reasoning is exactly why I own primarily Milwaukee drills as well as the Milwaukee heat gun.

They are of industrial quality and they simply last with overall excellent performance.

Roger

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: October 06, 2012 08:45PM

While I basically agree with this, and own a bunch of Milwaukee tools, a heat gun is hardly a precision tool. It's a hair drier with more heat. I've been using one from Ace Hardware that was $29.99 or something and it's never failed me in 10 years or more. Hard to justify an expensive heat gun unless you just gotta have the best. A heat gun seems like the place to save some cash.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 06, 2012 09:51PM

Like Drew said, a heat gun is a hair dryer on steroids! How long do you use one at a time, 3 or 4 minutes?? If that wears you out, you definitely need a workout program. For 10 or 12 bucks, it will last you for many years and the other 100 bucks can be spent on something good. Also, keep in mind that a heat gun moves air (and dust and contaminants) on the wet finish and a straw doesn't.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 07, 2012 01:18AM

Mike,
I would be terribly suprised if you had any dust or contaminants in your rod finishing room.

Roger

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: October 07, 2012 12:56PM

Well I agree in part on buying a good quality heat gun. Bill said he is going to use it for straightening some bamboo. that's more than just a few minutes work, trust me been there done that several times over. so this gun is going to be running for a bit. I'll admit I'm cheap so I would probably go with a middle of the road gun. the one from HF? you may get a winner or you may get a dog. roll the dice and take your chances. I've got an air nailer from there that has served me well for 10 years. then I bought one of the new multi tool vibrating saws. the first one lasted 10 min before it caught fire(well it was close to it, smoking)

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster