I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
heat gun
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 04, 2012 01:52PM

Lookin for a reasonable priced - good - heat gun One that stands up

Any suggestions

Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: heat gun
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: October 04, 2012 01:55PM

Hello Bill.

Catch Lowes when they have a sale!

Happy Melting.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: October 04, 2012 02:04PM

Robert
There are so many brands out there and I don't want to have it fail after a couple of weeks
Got some bamboo to straighten My hair dryer ain't hot enough

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 04, 2012 02:17PM

Wagner HT3500 in my shop.

Posted by: Craig Mullins (12.47.193.---)
Date: October 04, 2012 02:19PM

I've had my Milwaukee 8975-6 duel temp heat gun for about 10 years...still works like new. Pretty reasonably priced at Home Depot.

Date: October 04, 2012 02:34PM

Got to take a look at my Home Depot
10 Years hope they are are made the same
Wrote that down on 2 inch tape put on my computer

Any thing from Sears ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: October 04, 2012 02:38PM

Hello Bill.

Mine is a Dewalt, but I forgot the model#. I think I got it for around $40.00 with a bunch of attchments.
I also use it for peeling paint so it is not just for rod work.

Happy Burning.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2012 07:17AM by Robert A. Guist.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 04, 2012 03:18PM

Harbor Freight has a 1500 watt heat gun on sale for $12.99, if you have one close by.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 04, 2012 03:49PM

[www.northerntool.com]

Tough to beat
Roger

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 04, 2012 04:20PM

i HI have the Harbor Freight gun, 6 years old, no problems. You can buy 3 of them for $40.00

Posted by: Nathan Moore (---.bpssmtp.org)
Date: October 04, 2012 04:26PM

Been using the Harbor Freight on myself for years bending curves while building bows....no problems and the best 10 bucks I have ever spent

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: October 04, 2012 05:00PM

whichever one you get make sure it comes with or you order the attachment nozzles. my 15 year old Black and Decker is great but I had to order the fishtail nozzle for it. but as a bonus that came with 4 different nozzles.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 04, 2012 07:00PM

Been using Harbor Freights Gun for years with no problems! Best $10/12 I've spent

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: October 04, 2012 10:33PM

Ace Hardware brand works fine.

Posted by: Ron Orga (---.nrflva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 04, 2012 11:46PM

I have the Harbor Freight 1500w gun, 5 years old & no problems.

Posted by: David Spence (---.scansafe.net)
Date: October 05, 2012 11:43AM

Roger-How is a $200 heat-gun hard to beat? You can buy two heat-guns and a used lathe for that dough.

Date: October 05, 2012 12:38PM

David,
Simply put, this is one of the best and well make heat guns on the market.

However, I wouldn't spend that much money myself for a heat gun either.

But, if you do ever have a chance to compare a different heat gun to this one, I think that you will quickly see the difference, if you are interested in finding out.

----------------------
This sort of thing is very much like comparing a $50 cordless drill to a $300 cordless drill. Both of them will drill a lot of holes for a long time. But for the person who wears the drill on the end of his arm - as in using it 10 hours a day - every day - he will gladly pay the $250 difference because it drills the holes so much more comfortably and efficiently.

This is the same as comparing a $200 10 inch lathe to a $2000 10 inch lathe.
Both lathes will turn a handle and a piece of wood. But the $2000 lathe will do it in a much more comfortable way.
Again, for the part time user of a lathe - the $200 lathe will do a very fine job just fine. But for an exacting turner who stands behind the lathe for 10 hours a day for days on end, the $2000 lathe will be the one that will take the heat and keep on ticking - so to speak.

Or you can by a 20 year old rust bucket to drive back and forth to work for $500 and it will get you there and back on most days.
Or you can spend $30,000 for a new car and enjoy the driving experience every day with plenty of enjoyment.

It is always a matter of where you have your priorities.

Roger

Date: October 05, 2012 12:46PM

David,
Since this is a rod building forum, an even better analogy is that a person wants a fishing rod to go catch some fish.

He can go over to the local discount sporting goods store and pick up an imported rod for $30 and go out and catch lots and lots of fish over the 10 years that he owns it.

Or, he can come over to you for a custom fishing rod. He can walk away from you after spending $800 on a rod, that goes out and catches some fish during the time that he owns it. But now and then, he won't take it on a fly in trip or on a "roughing it trip" because he is too concerned about breaking it.

So, was the person better off spending $30 at a discount store to buy a rod - on which he catches 5000 fish over 10 years, or buying one from you for $800 and catches 500 fish because he is too concerned about using his "good" rod on those beautiful productive trips that might entail some extra work in packing and getting to the site?

Again, it is all about priorities.

By the way - I used to do that. i.e. I would save my really "good" rods for the trips where I could control the environment. But after a few years, I said to myself, "why did I spend the time and money to build such a great rod and then never use it on the trips that were so important to me. Since then, I have learned to take the trips, and to also take the rods that I want for the trip. I do pack carefully, and have had no mishaps, but I certainly was very worried about the rods on the first couple of trips that I took.

Above all - buy and use the products of YOUR choice, to do the Jobs that you want to do - in the way that you want to do the jobs.

Enjoy.

Roger

Posted by: Mark B. Gonsalves (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: October 05, 2012 10:43PM

I agree with the above post. Build with ALL the best and then USE what you build. None of my rods will only be a mantle piece.

Posted by: Jerry Cook (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: October 06, 2012 10:10AM

Roger, we are in agreement. I build only fly rods as that is what I know and what I fish. I can build a customer an inexpensive rod with chrome guides and aluminum reel seat and he can go out and abuse it and not lose much more than a few hundred dollars, or I can build him a beautiful rod with high end components and recoil guides. a rod he/she can be proud to own and fish and one that will perform light years ahead of the cheaper rod. It's all about the experience and pride of ownership.

Jerry

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster