I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy how to question
Posted by: Mark Fink (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 03, 2012 10:18PM

I bought the ProKote small 4-oz bottles of thread finish and they came with the 3ml syringes. I am now nearing the half-full point of the bottles and am scratching my head as to how best to fill the syringes when the fluid is below the point where I can reach it by just sticking the syringe in the bottle top. How do you guys do this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy how to question
Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: October 03, 2012 10:29PM

Mark you drill a hole in the cap 5/32 Insert the syringe in the cap & turn the bottle upside down & fill the syringe this way .when you are finished leave the syringes in their respective caps make sure you do not mix them up

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2012 10:34PM

This how I do it...learned this here years ago.

Find a drill bit that is just smaller than the tip of your syringe. Put a hole right in the middle of the screw on tops. You should be able to push the tip of your syringe into the hole and it fit tight. Then all you have to do is invert the bottle and draw out what you need. My syringes stay in the bottle tops at all times to keep the holes sealed. When I get new bottles of product I usually just transfer the tops.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 03, 2012 11:40PM

Ditto!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 04, 2012 01:12AM

Also you can use the self sealing bottle cap syringe inserts that are available. These fit into the top of the bottle and are self sealing. After you draw out the epoxy or hardener you simply place the cap back on the bottle to seal it. They are very inexpensive and since you don't put the syringe down into the bottle it makes using them a no mess operation.

Tom
tomscustomrods.com

Posted by: Tom Wewerka (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 04, 2012 01:13AM

Also you can use the self sealing bottle cap syringe inserts that are available. These fit into the top of the bottle and are self sealing. After you draw out the epoxy or hardener you simply place the cap back on the bottle to seal it. They are very inexpensive and since you don't put the syringe down into the bottle it makes using them a no mess operation.

Tom
tomscustomrods.com

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 04, 2012 01:58AM

Hi Mark,
Mr Chapman has nailed it, easy, cheap and effective. Get a system in place when you mix, stick to it and you won't mix them up. The best way is to mt the syringe and put it straight back in the cap and on the bottle before you touch the other one, then repeat.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Mark Fink (---.in.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: October 04, 2012 07:23AM

Thanks for the help guys! I will give the suggestions a go!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 04, 2012 08:39AM

I use the Yorker Caps
Mark the bottles and the syringes so they don't get mixed up

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster