I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Alcohol torch
Posted by: ray balmforth (---.lns4.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 02, 2012 05:30PM

I have just purchased an alcohol torch to have a go with on my next build.

Question is it says to put denatured alcohol in is this the same as isopropyl alcohol ?

If not what can i get here in Australia to substitute.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alcohol torch
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 02, 2012 05:37PM

They are different, don't know if they are interchangeable DNA is ethyl alcohol with additives to inhibit consumption..

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2012 06:25PM

Ray,
It really doesn't matter.
Just be sure to use an alcohol that is as close to 100% alcohol as possible.

Here in the US, it is quite common to find alcohol in drug stores that are used for wound cleaning.
The problem with using this alcohol in a torch is that the low % of alcohol in the material causes the flame to burn colder and less efficiently. You will notice a very yellow flame with low % alcohol in the mix.

But, if you are running 100% or near 100% alcohol - you will have a virtual clear flame.

Try a paint store. Alcohol is commonly sold as a cleaner as well as a thinner for certain paints. This Alcohol is mainly 100% or near 100% alcohol.

[www.menards.com]

Another place to check in your location are stores that sell

Alcohol for stove fuel. This fuel will be essentially 100% alcohol.

Another place to check is for alcohol that is used to fuel drag cars or racing cars. Again, very high quality 100% alcohol.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 02, 2012 06:55PM

Denatured is sometimes also referred to as "alcohol stove fuel." It's what you want. Isopropyl isn't going to burn very well.

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.148.112.82.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: October 02, 2012 07:22PM

Hi, Ray. Is Methylated Spirits (meths) available in your country? This is what i use and it works great. Methylated spirits is denatured Alcohol.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2012 07:29PM by Steve Mcleod.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: October 02, 2012 07:34PM

G'Day Ray Steve's on the money with metho .Just make sure you don't drink it

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Date: October 02, 2012 07:35PM

G'Day Ray Steve's on the money with metho .Just make sure you don't drink it

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: October 02, 2012 09:18PM

Shellac thinner is denatured alcohol, found at the paint store. Confirm that first, though.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 02, 2012 09:27PM

If you want to use that to make your finish better
You don't really need it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.239.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: October 02, 2012 10:21PM

I had same problem Ray even went to my chemist to work out what the @#$%& dna is and like others said its simply metho mate get the good stuff from bunnings not the cheap diluted stuff from coles.

Cheers
Mark
Old Bar NSW
Australia

Date: October 02, 2012 10:31PM

Thanks guys for the rapid responses so far.Just having a chuckle to my self as Barry has let the cat out of the bag on what we will
be drinking at the next SEARBs meeting.Must meake a no smoking rule though.

Thanks Roger you always give me a response will go down to Bunnings to check things out.

Yes Steve we have metho here will give it ago just have to remember not to drink to much.LOL

Bill i had very good results using the cigarette lighter last build so was just going to see how this worked out.The lighter gets a bit
hot after a while but i got my best finish yet.I am a hard marker so for me to be happy it was good.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: Ed Hickl (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2012 10:34PM

In the US isopropanol sold at pharmacy is available in diluted percentages. The diluent is often water. So even at 97% there is 3% water so using this in an alchol burner is trying to burn water. I use DNA (ethanol based alcohol) from my local hardware store in the paint section. Find less sputtering of the flame with this than with Isopropyl alcohol.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 03, 2012 02:07AM

Hi Ray,
You can always add boot polish or vegemite if your desperate for a drink.
If you are using the alcohol torch to heat finish have a play with it until you get used to the size of the flame. I prefer to use a small gas torch for that. If you are going to use it for burning off any fuzzies be careful as the one I've got has got too large a flame for my liking. I just use a few drops of metho in a teaspoon and it doesn't last long, just enough to get rid of fuzzies.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 03, 2012 08:23AM

IMHO
Don't play with the finish I use light Fast turner Get it all coated Stop the turner - Sometimes- Let it hang Wipe off excess Give it a 180 turn Then turn it slow

I play with fire I may just burn the place down
Also if there is any air in the wrap the heat will cause it to expand and then Bubbles

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2012 08:25AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 03, 2012 12:10PM

Denatured alcohol is 5% methanol and 95% ethanol. This methanol is what is toxic. This the way that the US Government cannot collect the taxes on ethanol.. If you can get 190 proof alcohol (Everclear) it would work just as well.

Ed Smith

Posted by: gaston arnold (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: October 03, 2012 03:22PM

here in the northwest at bimart in the paint section they have dna in quarts and gallons

Date: October 03, 2012 09:34PM

Thanks again for all the replies.Went to Bunnings and got some shellite which was labelled as stove fuel.Hopefully this
will do the trick.Better check the house insurance first.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

STOP!!! SHELLITE IS NOT ALCOHOL!
Posted by: Morgan Hanscom (---.alaska.veco.com)
Date: October 04, 2012 12:43PM

Shellite is not alcohol! It is Naptha.
While I don’t know what would happen if you put Shellite in an Alcohol torch:

THE POTENTIAL FOR AN INCREDIBLY DANGEROUS SITUATION IS HIGH.

Shellite is Naptha, Google or search the net for Shellite and look at the MSDS’s, I looked at 3 different MSDS’s in a short time, all were very similar. Naptha is a generic term for a range of hydrocarbons, in the U.S. a common name is White Gas or Coleman Lantern Fuel.

You are looking for Methanol, Ethanol or Isopropanol or some combination of these, denatured alcohol is common. Check the ingredient list on the package, if one of these 3 alcohols is not listed as the primary ingredient, DO NOT USE THE CHEMICAL IN AN ALCOHOL TORCH.

Hopefully someone with a chemical background can provide a clearer explanation.

My apologies for not speaking or understanding the Australian form of English very well or knowing Australian trade names.

MSDS – Material Safety Data Sheet – If you are considering a new to you chemical; always review the MSDS for that chemical, preferably before purchasing(1) the chemical or definitely before using. The life or health you save may be yours. MSDS's are readily available on the web. In the U.S. the supplier (store) will have the MSDS available, I belive it is an OSHA requirement.
1) Know the chemical before purchasing. Once you take possession you are now legally responsible for safe and proper disposal of that chemical and any waste products from its use.

BE SAFE

Morgan Hanscom
Mechanical Engineer
Anchorage, Alaska

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: October 04, 2012 02:59PM

If you wish to apply a particular amount of heat to a specific area I suggest you purchase a small, inexpensive electric soldering iron and vary its distance from your work. You can barbecue with the alcohol, or better yet consume it - and the soldering iron isn't likely to burn your house down

Date: October 04, 2012 06:35PM

Ray Dont' use shellite get some metho either from coles or your nearest hardware store

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster