I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

30 foot match fishing pole
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2012 05:08PM

Have any of you ever worked with a 30 foot match fishing pole which uses no reel or guides?

I was watching a few minutes of a Match Fishing tournament from the UK. Basically all of the entrants were sitting around a large circular pond that was stocked with fish. The fisherman were mainly using maggots or similar bait to catch these fish that were running 1/2 - 3 lbs.

The pole that they were using was similar to the one that I posted above. Typically about 30 feet long - about 2 inches in diameter for the butt section to carry the weight and each section about 6 feet long.
When a fish was caught, the rod was quickly collapsed, and the fisherman grabbed the fish from the end of the line that is tied to the end of the pole.

I can see where there could be some interesting uses for such a pole in open water fishing here in the US.

Just wondering if anyone has ever used such a pole and if so - what was their experience with such a pole.

Thanks much

Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2012 05:13PM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 30 foot match fishing pole
Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 02, 2012 05:19PM

This type of blank is typically referred to in Italy as a Bolognese rod or Bolo. They are still very popular there also except that they utilize the Match guides and affix one at the female joint of each section and do use a reel on them. they are very interesting, I was considering one of the 5 meter ones for inshore fishing out of my kayak. On that one the butt is only about 3/4" OD.

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 02, 2012 05:21PM

Chris Ward from England used to attend Rodcrafter's Seminar's every year, he brought these for Demo a few times in the late 90's. I never got to see one, only photos.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 02, 2012 05:40PM

About the closest thing you'd have to that sort of thing here in the U.S. would be the old Jerk Jigger pole for dangling a minnow or perch in an lily pad field opening for monster bass, or the ubiquitous "Bream Buster" that has been around for decades now. These have been made by many companies (Lew's built some great ones way back when) with B&M being perhaps the top producer today. None approach the lengths used by the match fishermen in Europe, however, with about 15 feet being the longest I've encountered.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: October 02, 2012 06:17PM

Sounds like Fish 'O Mania on WFN. I recorded a couple episodes to watch when I need a kick in the pants after a bad day on the lake. There are over a hundred good fishable lakes within 30 minutes of me. I can fish anywhere I choose for multiple species. I'm pretty fortunate!

At least these guys on the circular pond can win 25K pounds on a good day.

Date: October 02, 2012 06:27PM

Chuck,
Exactly - that is what I was watching for a few minutes.

By the way, finally got out for a few hours fishing with my neighbor yesterday. Too many days between trips. We picked up a nice mess of fish that we cooked up for breakfast this morning. Great way to start the day.

Roger

Posted by: Ray Zarychta (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 02, 2012 06:38PM

I did get to see the rod that Billy mentioned back in the 90's when the Rod Crafters came to Manchester, CT. It was amazing to see and the description that Chris gave on its use was fascinating.

Ray Zarychta
Glastonbury, CT

Posted by: Andres Perez (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2012 09:27PM

I have a 21 foot pole with no reel or guides. I use it to push myself along the flats on my boat. ;)

Posted by: Steve Hartzell (---.rsvlcmta01.rlvlar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: October 02, 2012 09:55PM

Todd,

If MH sold a rod like this, what would it cost to ship it to Texas? ;-}

Steve Hartzell
Lake Conroe - Willis, Texas

Date: October 03, 2012 02:26AM

Steve,
I doubt that it would be much.
The 30 foot rod collapses to about 5 or 6 feet. So, it wouldn't even be an oversized package.

Roger

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (193.201.167.---)
Date: October 03, 2012 02:39AM

I have never used a fishing "pole" (though I personally am a fishing "Pole" ;-))
But:
1- Bolognese rods are a completely different story. They are basically float rods build on telescopic blanks. They are usually not longer than approx. 25 ft., have guides and are used with a fixed spool reel for fishing especially in rivers.

2- "Poles" are also known as "Roubaisienne". They are usually a combination of a telescopic "top" of 2-3 sections and a put-over "butt", which accounts for most of the total length. The poles use elastic as a shock absorber, which is put inside the top sections and then has the main line attached. You fish immediately below the top with them. This aids bait placement accuracy and shortens response time. Pole length is typically max. 40', but they may be as long as almost 60'!!! They are made practically only from carbon graphite to reduce weight.

Cheers,
Michal

P.S. This is one of many sources of info on pole fishing: [www.coarsefish.net]

Date: October 03, 2012 02:44AM

Michael,
If you fish with a 60 foot pole, do you have a stand 20 feet out in the water to support the end of the pole?
A lot of length and leverage to support.

Roger

Date: October 03, 2012 02:47AM

Here is a you tube presentation which speaks of a Roubaisienne.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

How to fish with a 30 foot pole:
[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2012 02:54AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Michal Rozycki (193.201.167.---)
Date: October 03, 2012 03:42AM

"I have never used a fishing "pole"" ...
Having said that: you actually use a pole support just in front of you and a rear support several feet behind, to keep the butt off the ground. The bloody thing is quite light ;-) relatively and I understand one does not have to work out at the gym every day to use a fishing Pole ... er ... pole ;-))
Cheers,
Michal

Posted by: Laurent Keiff (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: October 03, 2012 12:22PM

a relatively new craze in Europe is to fish for carps using sturdy versions of these poles. I've seen it done a lot around here. It's quite fun to look at a 15lb carp fighting on such a rig, with 15 yards of elastic out... The fish has a lot of leverage.

Prostaff Rodhouse
[www.rodhouse.fr]

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: October 03, 2012 01:25PM

Michal Rozycki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have never used a fishing "pole" (though I
> personally am a fishing "Pole" ;-))
> But:
> 1- Bolognese rods are a completely different
> story. They are basically float rods build on
> telescopic blanks. They are usually not longer
> than approx. 25 ft., have guides and are used with
> a fixed spool reel for fishing especially in
> rivers.
>
> 2- "Poles" are also known as "Roubaisienne". They
> are usually a combination of a telescopic "top" of
> 2-3 sections and a put-over "butt", which accounts
> for most of the total length. The poles use
> elastic as a shock absorber, which is put inside
> the top sections and then has the main line
> attached. You fish immediately below the top with
> them. This aids bait placement accuracy and
> shortens response time. Pole length is typically
> max. 40', but they may be as long as almost 60'!!!
> They are made practically only from carbon
> graphite to reduce weight.
>
> Cheers,
> Michal
>
> P.S. This is one of many sources of info on pole
> fishing: [www.coarsefish.net]

I agree.The "roubesienne" pole can help you to catch big fish with tinny line and small hook (size 20!!!) if you chose the right elastic.So you can catch 23lb.(10.5kg.)or bigger carp easy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster