I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shimming Tuff Butts?
Posted by: Paul Babcock (76.73.45.---)
Date: October 02, 2012 12:35PM

What do you guys think is the best way to shim a plastic tuff butt on a stand up rod? Full EVA? Foam arbors at each end? Tape?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shimming Tuff Butts?
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: October 02, 2012 12:57PM

Hello Paul.

I'm a master of over kill on these things, I like to use two of the FA graphite arbors, one on each end with a good gob of epoxy inbetween them, but like I said I go a bit overboard on these things.

I would go with at least 3 of the GA's, IMHO, if you are using a Tuff Butt you can't be worried about weight much.

Tight Wraps & a Strong Butt.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 02, 2012 01:00PM

Hi,

I use dry wall fiberglas tape. It is an open grid design and the Rod Bond gets into all the little squares making a very solid base under the tuff butt, gimbal or reel seat.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Chris Phillips (---.netrun.cytanet.com.cy)
Date: October 02, 2012 03:03PM

Neil,
I use the same technique, and also apply the glue epoxy on the tape ,as I turn the rod to build up to the required thickness. I recently had to turn an aluminum gimbal by about 10 degrees ,on a rod I built last year to match this rod on a friend's new rod holder. I could only describe the process of removing it as agonizing. This Fiberglass mesh becomes as solid as steel and also sticks onto the blank like nothing I ever came across so far. I really had a hard time getting it loose and even harder one cleaning the inside of the gimbal to re-position it.!!
I owe a big fat thank you to Kevin ( Anglers Envy) for sharing this application in one of his tutorial videos. So Paul , I would go with Neil's suggestion. I think its by far the best although a bit messy while you fight with the grid and the glue. You see the trick is to get enough of the epoxy on both the blank and the tape layers in order to end up with a solid ,totally waterproof, block .

Phillips Hot Rods
C Y P R U S
[phillipshotrods.wix.com]

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2012 03:40PM

Paul,
No need to overthink this.
Just use tape in various widths 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, inch. -- to build up the blank for the grip.
Use reasonably narrow strips of tape and wrap the rod up to the necessary diameter. Then, leave about a 1/16th to 1/8th inch space for glue. Then go to the next wrap. The idea is that you leave room in between wraps of tape and also at each end for epoxy to form a good solid bond. The glue will totally secure the butt, the tape is simply a spacer between the strips of glue that actually glue the butt in place.
No fuss, no muss, and very inexpensive.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 02, 2012 03:41PM

Paul,
No need to overthink this.
Just use tape in various widths 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, inch. -- to build up the blank for the grip.
Use reasonably narrow strips of tape and wrap the rod up to the necessary diameter. Then, leave about a 1/16th to 1/8th inch space for glue. Then go to the next wrap. The idea is that you leave room in between wraps of tape and also at each end for epoxy to form a good solid bond. The glue will totally secure the butt, the tape is simply a spacer between the strips of glue that actually glue the butt in place.
No fuss, no muss, and very inexpensive.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster