I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help with search on guide prep.
Posted by: Joe Lane (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: September 28, 2012 05:23PM

I am trying to find threads on prepping rod guides, I search several different ways. Any help with a search or the actual prepping would be appreciated.

I am using stainless guides and understand you have to grind and finish so windings will have a smooth transition. What I don't know is after the grinding, should the guides be
coated withing something or are they ready to go. I have read somewhere you should not use sharpies due to some chemical in the ink.

Can someone guide me here. Would be really appreciated due to the fact this is my next step. Thanks, Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help with search on guide prep.
Date: September 28, 2012 05:28PM

Kept searching and did find a few things. Found it under guide prep, go figure. LOL. Was searching preparing guides, prepping guides and so on.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2012 05:35PM

Joe,
Here is a picture of a guide prep tool using a 1X30 inch belt sander to prep guides.

The guide prep tool is nothing more than a section of blank, with a flat headed machine bolt through the guide and blank - held tight with a wing nut.

Then I use 150 grit or so paper on a 1 X 30 inch belt sander to thin out the guide tip.

By using the bolt and blank to hold the guide, one can do a nice even job without having a finger get in the way.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Using the holder and sander means that you can prep each spinning guide in about 2 or 3 seconds and a double foot guide in 5-10 seconds.

Good luck
REW

Date: September 28, 2012 05:41PM

Thanks, what I have to use is a roto tool with disks ,but I do like the holding tool. Joe

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse3.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 28, 2012 05:51PM

Hi Joe,
When searching use "all dates" and you'll get more.
Anything with chlorine or chlorides can accelerate corrosion in stainless. Some guys use nail polish or paint etc to coat the feet. I don't use anything and don't have a problem when using stainless guides. When coated with finish air and water shouldn't get in and without that you won't get corrosion. Keep an eye on guides for cracks in the finish which will let it in.
After prepping the feet check the edges for any sharp bits which should be smoothed off.
Check the post "Rusting guides" further down the page and you find some guys don't prep them at all.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: September 28, 2012 05:57PM

Yes , was wondering if using d thread if I would have to grind or not. Would hate to ruin the stainless.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 28, 2012 06:37PM

Try this [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Hydra Fishing, LLC (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: September 28, 2012 08:52PM

Dont use something with chlorine. It will react with the metal.

One of the great things about Kigan guides - I never prep feet even with size A thread.

Hydra Fishing, LLC

Online: [www.hydrafishing.com]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Email: info@hydrafishing.com

Posted by: Ron Orga (---.nrflva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 29, 2012 02:21PM

I use a 6 inch bench grinder from Harbour Freight, Item #43533, that has a grinding wheel and a wire wheel. Its small, great for guides and the wire wheel takes of any burrs. Fits easily on any bench or can be put away if space is needed. @$34.00. I also use nylon bolts to hold the guides while grinding, similiar to the manner Roger uses his guide holding tool.

Date: September 29, 2012 04:09PM

Thanks all, Will check out harbor freight which is right down the road from me.

Date: September 29, 2012 09:04PM

Joe,
The 1X30 inch belt sander that I use was also purchased from Harbor Freight.

I have found many many uses for the belt sander for rod building as well as many other uses.

If you also pick up a variety of sanding belts in grits from about 80 to 400 you will have the variety needed to handle many chores.

One of the nice things about using a belt sander as listed above, is that you are working on a flat surface - rather than a curved surface.

Also, if you don't want a hard back to the sandpaper, you can always do your work above the table in the unsupported area.

Good luck
REW

Posted by: George Phillips (---.vectro.com)
Date: September 30, 2012 08:43AM

HF belt sander for me too.

Date: September 30, 2012 09:19AM

Heading to Harbor Freight today.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 30, 2012 04:12PM

I use the 3" grinder from Harbor freight. Sits on the end of my bench. The fiber wheel provides a nice polished finish after grinding to shape.

I use forceps to hold my guides during grinding.

Terry

Date: September 30, 2012 07:37PM

Well I checked but didn't buy yet. Harbor freight has both inexpensive grinders and belt sanders.

Now, should gide feet have no rounded edges after grinding? Flat across the top rising up the foot? Then buffed down? Now with stainless after grinding can I just "borrow" my wifes clear coat nail polish to coat?

I know allot of questions but,,, much appreciated. Thanks, Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2012 07:48AM by Joe Lane.

Date: October 01, 2012 11:46AM

Joe.
When I prep my guide feet, I use a 1X30 inch vertical belt sander.
When I hold the guide, I hold it at 90 degrees to the running belt.
I use 150 grit paper on the sander.
Now, by using the 150 grit on the sander with the guide held perpendicular to the running belt, I end up with fine groove running across the face of the guides.
As I prep the guides, I roll the guide across the face of the sander so that I end up with a rounded top on the guide with thin edges. This allows the guide foot to nicely follow the contour of the rod and have no bulges.
The fine lines across the face of the guides act as "grippers" for the thread to adhere to, to make for a more secure guide installation.

I never polish off the perpendicular sanding scratches, because the scratches help to secure the guide in place.

Take care
REW

Posted by: Joe Lane (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2012 03:16PM

Thanks Roger...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster