I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Instead of using a check ring I did this... turned out well !!!
Posted by: Casey Abell (205.145.107.---)
Date: September 28, 2012 11:00AM

So to make a long story short I made a foregrip for a large casting rod out of carbon fiber / foam etc. Nothing new there. I didnt have any check rings to place against the top portion of the handle so had decided just to make something on my lathe. I happened to run across a bottle of clear casting resin and wondered if I could possibly use the material to make a check ring while on the rod. so here is what I did with great results

I took handle and used a carbide burr bit to slightly enlarge the end of the handle where the check ring would have gone. I enlarged it about the same dia as what a check ring would have been. I then glued the foregrip on and allowed it to dry. This left a void around the very top of the foregrip. Almost like a check ring in reverse. I then stood the rod straight up in the air and taped it to a chair. I mixed up some of the casting resin with a little black dye and used a small syringe to kinda inject the resin into the void. I did this very slowly and made sure not to overfill. Its a delicate balance but the resin is thick enough that if you are careful the material flows out and will create a shape much the same of a check ring. The results were in my opinion better than using a check ring. The process left no spaces and a finish that looked like could have been made by machine. It literally looks like a factory produced rod.

just another trick that I have not heard about so I thought I would post

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Instead of using a check ring I did this... turned out well !!!
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: September 28, 2012 11:13AM

Hello Casey.

I have one question for you, is the casting resin going to let the rod bend or is to solid and prone to break the blank with a BIG fish on?

I think the idea is great but I would have used high build guide epoxy and maybe put some swirls of color in it to match the hardware or thread work.

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: September 28, 2012 11:32AM

Robert A. Guist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello Casey.
>
> I have one question for you, is the casting resin
> going to let the rod bend or is to solid and prone
> to break the blank with a BIG fish on?
>
> I think the idea is great but I would have used
> high build guide epoxy and maybe put some swirls
> of color in it to match the hardware or thread
> work.
>
> Tight Wraps.

I used Easy Cast which if im not mistaken is a product one of the mfgs relabels and sells as wrapping epoxy. This rod is so big that there will not be much flex that far down the rod.

I do like the idea of the swirls, I just didnt think about it at the time but will in the future.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: September 28, 2012 11:41AM

Hello Casey.

Sounds cool to me, keep thinking out of the box!

Tight Lines and new ideas.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Richard Curry (---.79.187.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: September 30, 2012 06:29PM

Casey,
Sounds cool , I used rod epoxy paste on the for grip to make a rod check, worked ok but had to do a lot of sanding .Can you tell me where I can get what you call "Clear Casting Resin ", What is it ? Can it be molded by hand? How is it used? Ok I look forward to hearing from you .

Richard Curry

Linegrabber Custom Rods

Maysville GA.

What is life without fishing ?

Date: October 01, 2012 01:28PM

Richard Curry Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Casey,
> Sounds cool , I used rod epoxy paste on
> the for grip to make a rod check, worked ok but
> had to do a lot of sanding .Can you tell me where
> I can get what you call "Clear Casting Resin ",
> What is it ? Can it be molded by hand? How is it
> used? Ok I look forward to hearing from you .
>
>
> Richard Curry
>
>
>
> Linegrabber Custom Rods
>
>
> Maysville GA.

Most of your hobby stores carry it, I purchased mine at hobby lobby. People use it for many different things. You can use the stuff to encase, objects for display, or it can be used as a thick self leveling coating. They also make another type which is more of a plastic type material. I think alumlite makes the stuff they sell. Model makers use it for duplicating parts and people also use it for prototype making. Its great stuff as it dries into a plastic material which is easily machined.

Ive also tried the epoxy paste method too and wasnt all that thrilled. This is my opinion is a way better option.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 01, 2012 03:49PM

Tilt the rod up to the correct angle and you can just use a tad of thread finish
Tint it

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster