I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question for the members
Posted by: Dave Olsen (---.com)
Date: September 26, 2012 01:08PM

I would like to pose a question to the members here. Say you are placing an online order from a dealer for a product. The order goes through and your debit card is charged. So a couple weeks go by and no order shows up. So you call a few times and finally get somebody who tells you that your item or items were backordered and it will be a few weeks before you get them. But your DC has already been charged.

Then a few more weeks go by and finally you call a few more times and finally get somebody and they tell you that they cannot get the items and so your order has to be cancelled. So then they tell you that they will credit your DC. They also say it will be a few weeks before the credit goes through.

OK, after a few more weeks the credit finally does show up. But in the meantime they have had access to your money for about two months. Fine and good that it was eventually returned to you, but it makes you wonder if the dealer was using your bank funds as a personal loan.

My question is what are the legal requirements for charging a person’s credit or debit card? I thought you were not allowed to charge a card until you had actually shipped the product? Can this vary from state to state? Have members here had this happen to them? Is it common policy for dealers to charge a card even if they do not currently have an item in stock? When a credit is issued how long should it take to show up in your account?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question for the members
Posted by: Don Morse (---.dhcp.aldl.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 26, 2012 01:24PM

I have not had this happen to me but have heard of it happening. They can charge you when they feel like, it depends on their policy. As far as credit I have seen it take up to 6 weeks for a credit to be issued, depends on the banks involved. MO, I would not deal with said company again.

Posted by: Ed Hickl (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: September 26, 2012 01:48PM

When bad things happened to me when I was young my dad always asked "and what did you learn from this?" Some times I'd say 'won't do that again". "Fine" but he would follow up with "and what else". That made me have to think deeper.

In this case you asked about, I learned that when dealing with a product supplier big or small to asked about their credit card policy first before giving them an order. Especially if it involves big money or enough money to matter. Some places may post policies and some may not. If not send an email requesting their policy if they don't or it is a new supplier.

Glad you finally got your money back and making me remember what my dad taught me. Sometimes I get in a hurry and jump in thinking the credit card company will protect me when it's really my job to look after myself first. Not saying you did anything wrong here just thanks for reminding me and maybe some others to find out other things besides size, color, cost, shipping, etc ahead of time.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 26, 2012 01:56PM

I have no idea what the law, if any, may be regarding when it is permissible to charge a credit or debit card. I do, however, know how long it takes for a credit to either a charge or debit card to be returned to your account if such credit is issued. Generally, any credit issued by the merchant will be in your account in 72 hours or less. More often, it happens in 48 hours, or two working days. In some 24 years of charging credit and debit cards, I have yet to see any credit I've issued not reach the intended party's account within a maximum of 3 working days.

Posted by: Craig Mullins (12.47.193.---)
Date: September 26, 2012 02:03PM

I take credit payments every day and sometimes I have to give refunds...it takes about 20 seconds.

You should have had your money back within 3 days.

Posted by: Garry N Harris (---.pa.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: September 26, 2012 03:45PM

Have been dealing with Anglers Workshop lately and they had items on backorder for over two weeks.
They sent me an email saying items were ready to ship and they were going to credit my visa, This is how it should be, companies should not credit your account until the items are ready to be shipped.
Angler's Workshop will get more of my business because of the way they do business.
Great communication which is vital when dealing internationally both via the web and by phone.

I always take life with a grain of salt. Plus a slice of lemon and a shot of Tequila.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 26, 2012 03:55PM

As noted, there are no restrictions as to when a merchant charges you AND it only takes less than a minute to process a credit and 2-3 days for it to appear on your account. The dealers that I do business with process my card WHEN the order ships. I wouldn't do business any other way UNLESS it was a special order item, which is understandable in any marketplace.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: September 26, 2012 04:15PM

I have had the same thing happen to me with a vendor who sells on the @#$%& website as well as has their own website. I just made up my mind that I won't do business with them again.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: ray balmforth (---.lnse1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 26, 2012 05:46PM

I guess i have been lucky so far with my dealings.Have only dealt with Mudhole and their service has been second to none.Great communication,
fast and efficient.If they have something on backorder they will ask you whether you want to wait for that item or have part order sent.They dont take
payment till the order is sent.And with the damaged blanks i have recieved they have sent new ones immiediately.Cant ask for more than that.

If i get bad service thats it you wont see my business again and word of mouth can be good or bad.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: September 26, 2012 05:49PM

The company I dealt with is not a sponsor here. I have never had any problems with those who sponsor RBO.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: September 27, 2012 02:46PM

The ones that I deal with DON'T charge until shipped

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jerry Cook (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: October 06, 2012 04:03PM

I'm with Garry about Anglers Workshop. They are great people to work with. Customer service is outstanding. They have become my primary supplier and as long as they continue to treat me as well as they do, they will keep my business.

Jerry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster