I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

help please
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 25, 2012 11:23AM

Can some one give me specific instructions when using the new concept spinning system? From the middle of the reel seat where does the choker go on the following reel sizes. 1500,2000,2500,3000 The person wants me to build the rods first then he will pick the reel. I know this will not be "perfect" but Im sure with you experience I can get close thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: help please
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 25, 2012 12:02PM

It's going to be impossible to give you an answer because the choker guide position on the NGC is dependent on the reel chosen.

Does your customer not at least have some idea what size reel he'll be using?

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: September 25, 2012 12:03PM

I normally measure the 27X from the top of the spool face, not the middle of the reel seat. Most of my builds have been for 2500 size reels and in my experience those have been in the 42mm to 46mm range. It depends upon the reel manufacturer. I can't add anything about the other reel sizes but I'm sure someone will chime in soon.

Good Luck

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Date: September 25, 2012 12:24PM

I realize that Tom . What I 'm looking for is the the outside diameter of the reels mentioned then I can figure the rest . The info Chad gave is what Im looking for .It was a poorly worded question. Thanks again.

Date: September 25, 2012 12:45PM

They vary in diameter from company to company. A Quantum 20, is not going to have the same diameter spool as a Shimano 2000. You'll just have to go with an average. If you have a local sporting goods store that carries a good assortment of reels and take a tape measure with you. Tell them what you're doing and I'll bet they'd have no problem letting you take some measurements.

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: September 25, 2012 04:05PM

I think the Anglers Resource website has some stats on the more popular reels.

Posted by: Richard Glabach (158.74.35.---)
Date: September 25, 2012 04:48PM

I gradually got away from specific reel sizes when buidling a rod, simply because I did not expect to use only one reel on a given rod.

I typically fish with size 1500 to 2500 reels. 27X a "typical" diameter is around 48 inches. While there may be an ideal guide size and ideal placement, I do not think you will serve the customer poorly by spacing the stripper guide at 45 to 48 inches from the front of the reel spool.

Date: September 25, 2012 05:30PM

I assume you mean the choke guide, not the stripping or butt guide.

Posted by: Richard Glabach (158.74.35.---)
Date: September 25, 2012 05:50PM

Sorry Tom and Maryann - I did mean the choke guide (the guide nearest the reel)

Date: September 25, 2012 06:14PM

The guide nearest the reel is the stripping or butt guide. The choke guide is generally about 2 to 3 to 4 guides from the reel.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 25, 2012 07:15PM

Richard,
X10 - on not building a rod for a specific reel.
So often, a different reel is used for different fishing situations.

Roger

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: September 26, 2012 12:20AM

Maryann, here are real spool diameters taken from real reels (Shimano or Daiwa). I hope this helps. Sorry no 500 or 1000.

1500 1.6"
2000 1.7"
2500 1.75"
3000 1.8"
4000 2.0"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2012 01:09AM by Greg Foy.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: September 26, 2012 10:49PM

Maryann:

I am working on a Batson SB 720-4 blank. I have been doing some testing on the 27X system. I want to use both a 1000 and 2000 size reel on this rod. the 1000 is spooled with 4# braid, and the 2000 has 8# braid, I set the rod up for the 1000 reel, and cast it 10 times along side a tape measure, and then changed to the 2000 reel, and cast it. I then set it up for the 2000 reel and did the same test. I picked up 10 to 15 feet with both reels with the 2000 set up. I then changed the running guides and tip top from a 4 to a 6, and did the same test. I lost a good 10 feet with both reels. I was using Fuji YAG style guides. I just finished setting the rod up for the 2000 with Pac-Bay Minimum 4 guides Size 4 tip top and running guides. I will cast it tomorrow just to see if there is a differance in the guides. I know this is all subjective, and I am using 2 different sized reels and different weight lines. I just found it strange that 1000 reel did better with the 2000 set up. I don't have any bigger reels, or I would test them as well. You have something of a delima with setting up this rod for such a wide differance in reel size.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Date: September 27, 2012 08:44AM

Very interesting Mike , Changing the running guides really made a difference. Think it had to do anything with the extra weight or prehaps with the line of progression with a larger guide??? PLEASE keep me posted .

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: September 27, 2012 10:52PM

Maryann:

I don't know why the differance happened with the larger running guides. I have been looking for my notes on casting it with the rod set up fpr the 2000 reel and the size 6 running guides. I can't find them. I just remember that the casIing distance dropped off for both reels and lines. I changed the guides from the Fuji to the Minima 4 guides, and picked up a foot or 2 with both reels over the best set up with the Fuji guides. I have to admit that these tests have been done over several weeks. I also have to admit that I have nerve problems in my casting hand.(It @#$%& getting older). I know that this is all subjective, but the rod felt and sounded different with minima 4 guides. I can only discribe it as "It had more sing" when casting. I don't know if this is good or bad. The rod just seemed to have more to it than I could get out of it.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Date: September 29, 2012 04:07PM

we are all getting old Mike ,keep plugging sounds like your doing great.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster