I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Microwave Guides / Reel Size
Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 25, 2012 09:40AM

Like everyone else, I'm kinda fascinated by the Microwave guides. But seeing as how they're available as a set only, with stock sizes for butt/transition/running guides, I have a logistical question:

What reel sizes will the Microwave sets accommodate? Is there a spinning reel that is too small, or too large, to benefit from the Microwave system? On the Mudhole website, it says that The layout was verified using 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000 & 4000 size reels. Will other reels work? Is an 8000-size saltwater reel too big? Will the use of braid make a difference, i.e. will braid allow you to use larger reels with this?

I guess I could call or email AmTak with this question, but I think that it would be better to post it here, so that others might see it. I think I'm going to be trying out a Microwave set, but I wanna see the reel specs they recommend before I start tinkering. I'll probably end up screwing around with them anyway -- I can resist -- but I figure that I might save myself some time if I can cop some of the information they gleaned during testing these guides.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Microwave Guides / Reel Size
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 25, 2012 09:55AM

By adjusting the distance between the reel and the butt guide, the same butt guide can accommodate several different reel sizes.

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 25, 2012 10:23AM

Is there any formula or guideline for placing a set size butt guide a certain distance from the reel relative to the reel spool diameter, or is it just set it a little further away for a big reel and a little closer for a small reel. Seems like, given the physical dynamics of the line coming off the reel, there should be a way to calculate the optimium distance to the butt guide.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 25, 2012 10:46AM

With most of the newer systems it's generally done by plotting a straight line path from the spool spindle to the choker point and then setting the butt guide so that it's top (or center in some methods) is in line with that path.

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 25, 2012 11:08AM

Hi guys,

Basic spacing suggestions as well as the Q & A below can be found on our web site.

[www.americantackle.us]

We found most reels to be fairly similar dimensionally speaking (except for spool size). Some that didn’t conform still worked well using our system. As suggested the system can be adapted for larger reels by moving the stripper guide around a bit. We offer “suggested” placements and the complete set to insure performance to rod builders without confusing formulas etc. Understanding rod builders, we expected alterations, variations and changes to be made and of course improvements are always possible.

Here’s some Questions & Answers that might help:

Q. What is this system and how does it work?
A. The MicroWave Line Control System is a complete set of guides that act in conjunction to deliver performance benefits to a fishing rod’s cast. This system utilizes a unique double ring stripping guide where a larger ring captures the fishing line and a secondary ring instantly controls it. The controlled line maintains line speed and increases casting distance by eliminating the oscillating line movement caused when line leaves the spool of a spinning reel during a cast. Completing the system is a transition guide and snagless-designed running guides continuing total line control for the duration of the cast.

Q. Does this system work with all types of line, including braid?
A. Originally the focus was on improving performance of stiffer lines such as monofilament & fluorocarbon due to their coiling memory. During development modifications were made to work for braided lines as well. Final testing has proven significant performance increases with all fishing lines.

Q. Why are these guides only sold as a set?
A. Extensive research and development has been conducted to provide a “complete” system that will absolutely work. Design, sizing & quantities in the complete set insure performance and function as advertised.

Q. Can I buy each guide separately?
A. No, this system is only sold as a complete set of 9 guides intended for a 7’ spinning rod. The running guides can be purchased separately for additions to rod builds longer than 7’.

Q. What are the guides used in the complete system?
A. The stripping guide is a 20mm/6mm ring combination, the transition guide is a 6mm & the running guides are all 5mm rings.

Q. Do I have to use your guide spacing?
A. No you can use your own spacing or amend our spacing if you desire. Our layout is only suggested spacing. It has been proven to provide the advertised benefits. The most critical distances are from the spool to stripping guide-transition-first running guide. Our goal is to provide a complete system that is proven to work.

Q. How do I use a 7’ layout on longer or shorter rods?
A. You can add running guides for longer rods and either remove or rearrange the running guides on shorter rods. The running guide placement is less critical than the stripping & transition guides.

Q. What size reels were used to create the suggested guide spacing?
A. The layout was verified using 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000 & 4000 size reels. It was geared more toward center spool height & angle as well spool circumference.

Q. What is the line rating for these guides?
A. The practical line range would be for anything between 2-20# lines. The intended application would be for light to medium inland water & inshore applications.

Q. What tops can be used with this system?
A. All development and subsequent performance testing was conducted using a 6mm Light Ring Lock top although varying ring sizes didn’t hinder performance. Specialized tops are currently in development due out in the beginning of 2013.

Q. Does this system reduce overall guide weight for the complete guide train?
A. It absolutely does, in every guide train configuration tested. Depending on which system used for comparison, the weight reduction is significant, in some cases more than 50%. Weight comparisons were conducted against standard Cone of Flight, New Guide Concept & the KR Concept guide sets based on 7’spinning rod design.

Q. Are these guides available in titanium frames? And, are they available with PVD coated frames & rings?
A. Not currently. This system was designed with specific focus on overall improvement and replacement of the most widely used fishing rods worldwide. This includes primarily stainless frames in black and chrome configurations.

Q. Is there only a spinning rod set available?
A. Yes, at this time there is only the spinning system on the market. The overall theory behind the MicroWave Line Control System holds true for any rod that casts. The future will bring dynamic new MicroWave introductions designed specifically to achieve total line control.

Q. Do these guides cost more than a standard set of guides?
A. Depends on the set, if comparing to a set of “standard” guides, then yes however many guide set options cost quite a bit more than the MicroWave guides. The point to note is that there are no other comparable guides in existence making any price comparison irrelevant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2012 11:12AM by Darrin Heim.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster