I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

dec wrap glass look finish?
Posted by: jack taller (---.fast.net.id)
Date: September 25, 2012 05:06AM

i know everyone suggest horizontal stroke
i've tried it by spatula, credit card and brush with regular FC and Tm lite
with very thin and thick layer.and let it sit few minute to brushing the sag
but none of this combination method make perfect glass look level finish

i have my 1st dec wrap (tiger wrap) that make me desperate to finish it so many layering and sanding
maybe i have 15 layer of top wrap finishing all have failed

sometime it look ok when wet and when i come to see when it set up it not level again

anyone can help with some video tutorial maybe?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dec wrap glass look finish?
Posted by: Cheng Moua (---.mycingular.net)
Date: September 25, 2012 07:32AM

is the rod blank level? are you making sure that you're getting ALL of the sagging finish wicked off?
maybe you're applying too much finish, doing a quick wick here and there, then walking a way too soon?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 25, 2012 07:54AM

Not sure where you are located, but I am doing an epoxy application presentation/discussion at the next couple of NERBs Gatherings in NJ, NJ, and Mass. What took me several years to perfect, I show you and explain in about an hour. TO check the gathering schedule for the FAll click here: [northeastrodbuilders.com] All I do is put a lot of finish on, brush it lengthwise, and heat the finish as it turns but not so much that is sags and drips. I posted a couple of photos of a very large Dec WRap in the photo page yesterday, blank was 20-22mm in diameter, and it's just about perfectly flat as you can get it. All I did was exactly what I posted in the sentence before.

Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (96.18.237.---)
Date: September 25, 2012 08:32AM

You're messing with it to much. I do the same that Billy does without the heat. I put a generous amount on, brush it lengthwise to knock down any brush ridges I might have left in it and let it rotate. I check on it occasionally to make sure it is still rotating. I use an old rotissiere motor that rotates about 7 rpm. I usually have to put on a second coat because the wrap is uneven to begin with. I don't sand ,don't scrape excess off, nothing. If the rod is relatively level the finish will self level.

Date: September 25, 2012 09:45AM

my rod dryer have 3 support and they all level, but the when i see the blank rotate it seem slightly bend in butt section
maximum amount finish that i used for 1 apply is 0,3ml resin and 0,3ml hardener for 8"(OD 14mm) tigerwrap
I used 4 RPM motor when i worked with FC HB and 36RPM with TM lite

@billy: i wish i could came and see the presentation live. but I live and work in SE asia now. my only resources for learning just internet :(

Posted by: Robert Hummel (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 25, 2012 10:28AM

Sounds like a lot of finish if you are using all 6ml on an 8" wrap. I mix that much at one time but would probably only use a couple ml on an 8" wrap.

Date: September 25, 2012 10:47AM

Robert:
sorry may you miss read my post
it's 0,3+0,3 so only 0,6ml not 6ml

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.rsvlcmta01.rlvlar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: September 25, 2012 11:36AM

I also brush along the length of the wrap then let it sit and rotate 180 every 30 seconds a few times.

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.118.186.31.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: September 25, 2012 01:37PM

I brush it length ways. put the finish on fairly thick then heat it up to get out all the bubbles, it's usually a little wavy in places after heating, but i just go through again with some light strokes removing a little finish here and there, then heat it it again until it is leveled out nice, then put it in the dryer.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: September 26, 2012 09:15AM

Hello Jack.

It's not the supports that need to be level it's the rod blank, you need to make the rod blank level at the center-line, that may be part of your trouble.

Tight Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster