I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trouble with the fuzzy cuts
Posted by: Mark Fink (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 17, 2012 10:25PM

I cannot seem to get past the fuzzy thread when cutting the tag end at the end of my wraps. I am pulling the tag end towards the end of the wrap (guide insert direction) enough to create a small opening in the threads, laying the razor blade flat against the wraps and pulling the tag end into the razor. Could i be wrapping the thread too tight or?
The guides are rather tough to move.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trouble with the fuzzy cuts
Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: September 17, 2012 10:51PM

You might need a sharper blade. I found that single edge blades work for me, xacto blades are not sharp enough and double edge shaving blades are too sharp. I lay the blade flat and give an abrupt nudge to slice the tag.

Greg

Posted by: ray balmforth (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 18, 2012 12:34AM

Hi Mark

Totally agree with Greg your blades are not sharp enough.I have had same problem with cutters just trimming a piece of thread
to use the ends are all frayed.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse5.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 18, 2012 01:16AM

Hi Mark,
People use a number of methods to cut tag ends and use what works for them. One method is to put the pull through in a bit ealier, about ten wraps from the end. When finished pull the pull through until the tag end is tight but not under the wraps. I use a new single edged blade for every rod and don't have any issues. Cut the tag end off just shorter than where the pull through is put in. If you wrap towards yourself then pull the pull through away from you at about 45 degrees. You should be left with no visible sign of the tag end and no fuzzies. Burnish the end of the wrap to straighten everything out. May take a couple of practice goes to get it right but it works well.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2012 02:49AM

Mark,
A year or so after starting to build rods, I was over at my favorite rod shop learning more from the master rod builder at the shop.
When I asked him the same question about "fuzzy cuts" he replied - "simple, good fly tying scissors".

So, I picked up a top of the line fly tying scissors and I have never cut another tag end except with that pair of scissors.
I sharpen the scissors about once a year and they simply cut very cleanly, very close every time, with no fuzzies.

I was particularly glad to switch to scissors, because of the cut wraps that I experienced from time to time if the razor blade slipped as I was cutting the thread due to my early beginnings and lack of practice.

Never a nicked thread when using the scissors. Never a fuzzy cut, and always very close to the wraps.

[www.drslick.com]

Roger

Posted by: jack taller (---.fast.net.id)
Date: September 18, 2012 03:03AM

This is the easiest way to tie off the winding thread.

After you put the loop on and wind to where you want to stop, cut the winding thread about 8 inches from the guide so you can have a good grip on the tag line.

Thread the tag through the loop and pull it tight . Then pull the loop tight but don't pull the tag under yet. After you have the tag and the loop tight so you can let the tag loose, cut the tag as close as you can with a good pair of fly tying scissors, then pull the tag under.

If you have done it right the tag should be under with nothing sticking out. Try this and let me know what you think ~ Jim

[]

it's help me with fuzzy problem

Posted by: Mark Fink (---.in.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 18, 2012 07:23AM

Thanks so much for all the help fellas!
The blade I am using is new out of the package but they are Walmart cheapies so I am wondering if that may be the problem. I may give it a try cutting the tag end before I pull the loop all the way out. I have been practicing my wraps and thought I had this issue squared away but when I go and start my first build they are back again, figures. I was hoping to get this one wrapped and finish on it so I could use it in a tournament this weekend but I will work on it till I get it right.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2012 07:25AM

I deal with my tag ends exactly the same as Jack, never had an issue.

Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 18, 2012 07:35AM

The trick I found was when you cut the tag end off instead of making a straight pull with the tag end I angle it so Im sure the fuzzy stays under the wrap. I use surgical blades and scalpels they are cheap and there is no end to the blade design you can get.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2012 07:40AM by Maryann Cohen.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: September 18, 2012 07:54AM

G'Day Mark Ido the same as Maryann .I pull the tag at approximately 45deg.& as soon as the tag is locked I use a scalpel with a blade with a rounded tip, place it on the tag & rock the scalpel,result a clean cut. I always replace the blade after every rod .

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2012 08:21AM

Roger, That is a great idea! I've lookeda t the scissors, what is better the straight or the curved scissors, just curious.

Posted by: Craig Mullins (12.47.193.---)
Date: September 18, 2012 09:41AM

I picked up some razor blades from a beauty supply shop...the blades that hair sylists use to do razor cuts with. They are longer and thinner than a regular razor blade and IMO about 10 times sharper!
Literally just toutch the thread and it's cut as clean as a whistle.

Here's a picture of them...[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2012 10:05AM

Lorenzo,
I have found that the straight scissors work better for me.
Roger

Posted by: Don O'Neil (---.dhcp.asfd.ct.charter.com)
Date: September 18, 2012 10:14AM

I do the same as Jack. But occasionally the pesky tag end slips through the wrap and sticks out defying you to try and trim/burn it off. I eventually learned to ignore it at this point and attack it later. Just go ahead and apply the epoxy as normal but after the first coat cures break out the razor blade and carefully trim the tag off and finish with a second coat. The two coats will blend together and you will never see the operation.

Don

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2012 01:07AM

Fuzz does not bother me much. After the first coat of finish has cured just slice off any bumps left by the former fuzz and apply another coat of finish. Easy peazzy.

Posted by: Mark Fink (---.in.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 21, 2012 07:33AM

Thanks for the thoughts all!
Jack, I tried your method and ended up doing that with rest of the guides I put on this build, works great. Acouple of times I didn't get the tag cut short enough and it was sticking through so I had to redo.

I noticed when I was cutting the tag end on the start of a wrap that I wasn't getting the fuzzies there so now I am thinking that I was putting too much tension on the thread when cutting it causing the last few strands of thread to tear.

Posted by: Frank DeFranco (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: September 21, 2012 07:38AM

I have recently purchased a quality cuticle nipper and have used it on my last two builds and it seems to cut very cleanly and close to the wrap leaving neither fuzz nor a bump. I read this on this very site and it works perfectly. I have tried the method that Jack suggested and it also works perfectly. I like to experiment. This site is an amazing resource of knowlege.

Hillsborough, NJ

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 21, 2012 08:53AM

With all teh time you guys waste fiddlign around wiht various cutters and blades, rewrappig if it isn't perfect - you could just do the best you can pulling through and cutting, applying finish, and in about 3 seconds slice off the hardened nub with a razorblade. It comes out perfect 100% of teh time. Nobody is going to sit over your shoulder giving you a grade for how well you pull through and cut a fuzzy thread nub, all that matters is the finished product with a couple of coats of epoxy on top.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 21, 2012 10:22AM

Like Billy said I coat let it dry Sand with 400 and a second coat covers nicely

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster