I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dyeing cork rings
Posted by: Rex Mason (---.sangtx.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 17, 2012 09:08PM

I would like to dye cork rings to dress up a rod handle for a distaff client. I am considering blues / purples on a pink spinning rod blank. (My wife chose these colors). I cannot find anything in the files cocerning this subject.
1). Please share anything that workedfor you.
2). Please share things that DID NOT work for you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dyeing cork rings
Posted by: Bob Kraft (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 17, 2012 09:24PM

I tried dying cork with RIT dye. Used hot water and soaked for a long time. It didn't work. Basically, it just rinsed off. Maybe someone else has another method. Good luck. I will follow this thread.

Posted by: Don Morse (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: September 17, 2012 09:58PM

This has been talked about a lot on here. Dyes and stains as will mini soak into the cork. You can put stain on and seal it or it will wear off.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 17, 2012 11:10PM

Yes, this does come up.

Cork is very dense and does not absorb water, dye, stain or anything else very well. You can change the color slightly with stain, but you have to seal it or it rubs off eventually. Your best bet is to gain color by using burl or burnt cork products.

Terry

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse5.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 18, 2012 01:04AM

Hi Rex,
I did it once to see how it would turn out. I dyed the cork with wood stain, let it dry overnight then sealed it with one coat of permagloss. Turned out better than I expected and it feels ok, sort of like cork with cork sealer. Still feels like cork but the permagloss should keep the stain intact. You should do a test piece with those colours to see how it turns out. Without the permagloss the stain will wear off very quickly, I did a test on a stained ring and after less than two minutes of rubbing with a nail brush most of the stain was gone.
A link to a picture of the one I did.[www.rodbuilding.org]

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2012 05:40PM by Col Chaseling.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2012 02:51AM

Rex,
Probably a better bet to dress up the handle is to use rings of contrasting products to dress up your handle, rather than trying to dye the cork which simply doesn't work.

i.e. Eva, acrylic, birch bark, etc. etc. etc.

Roger

Posted by: Rex Mason (---.sangtx.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: September 18, 2012 09:40AM

Thanks for rapid feedback from all you guys.
I will continue to look for something other than RIT. For anything to work on cork, it seems as if the rings must be turned as a handle unit and then dye the rings & glue them together. This will be a time consuming process, but it might help sell more of the custom rods to the ladies anyway.

Side note - I discovered years ago that if want to get your wife into fishing (or hunting) you need to start her out with the best and lightest equipment you can afford. I have many hunting & fishing photos to prove this point.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 18, 2012 09:54AM

Flocking, carbon sleeving, alternative material inlays, etc. are ways to add desired colors. As noted, cork will NOT hold dye, paint, stain, etc. for any length of time using any method.

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 18, 2012 10:55AM

Cork does not absorb liquid, therefore, it will not hold dye. That's why they use it for wine bottles.

jeremy

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: September 19, 2012 01:14AM

Cork is a closed cell structure, so it will NOT absorb liquids. Many have tried water based, solvent based, vacuum and pressure methods, they don't work!

Staining and over coating with a finish like Perma Gloss like Col mentions should work if you like the finished feel.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster