I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cp
Posted by: gabriele schieda (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: September 17, 2012 08:03PM

Just a question, I Have some old 811 and I love it. I tied the flexcoat and it dries darker then the 811. Anyone no some other cp's that keep the thread close like the 811. Not a solvent based if possible.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cp
Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: September 17, 2012 11:11PM

I have tried every CP that I can think of. Like many others I lamented the demise of the old Gudebrod 811. Currently I am using Chroma Seal and Cason's solvent based CP. I like them both. Thy both have a minimum darkening effect. The advantage of the Cason's solvent is the elimination of having to stir the CP before using. Having to use the old Airplane glue when I first started building rods makes me very thankful for all of these modern CP products.

Mike Blomme

Date: September 17, 2012 11:31PM

Thank you, I have always wanted to try solvent based, but worried the feet are going to crack

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.140.112.82.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: September 18, 2012 07:19AM

Switch to Chromaseal, it is the best cp ever made! fantastic colour retention on the lightest and darkest threads.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Posted by: Bruce Johnstone (96.18.237.---)
Date: September 18, 2012 08:47AM

The use of CP will not cause the finish to crack. All finishes will crack at the guide feet over time. This is due to the guide feet flexing at a different rate than the rod blank.

Bruce
Boise, ID

Posted by: Brad DeBlase (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2012 09:12AM

Gabriel,

Gudebrod 811 CP is still available. You can find this though Merrick or Jann's among other suplly houses.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 18, 2012 09:18AM

Brad

Thanks a heck of a lot Thought it was gone ?? Got to get a Few bottles It is the same stuff Is it ??

I did not even think that they came back with thread -- Maybe they came back with all the other products

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2012 09:32AM by bill boettcher.

Date: September 18, 2012 09:35AM

Willie,

It is the same stuff. I worked for Gudebrod for 26 years as production manager (up until they closed the doors). There is an off shoot company of Gudebrod producing the threads now. This is to the same standards as Gudebrod had in the past.

Brad

Date: September 18, 2012 10:15AM

Thanks
Ordered 6

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: September 18, 2012 11:46AM

Brad, Is this the 811 that is the colorless type or is it the type they were selling at the end which was milky like Flex coat or U-40 Color Lock? Thanks for your help.

Mike Blomme

Date: September 18, 2012 11:59AM

Hey Mike,

The bottles that I had grabbed on my way out was the Milky kind. The colorless was discontinued at least 3 years, if not more, before the closure of Gudebrod.

Brad

Date: September 18, 2012 12:00PM

I had went back to flex-coat and that milky look - just thin it a tad

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.140.112.82.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: September 18, 2012 01:24PM

I've still got a 1 ounce bottle of the original gudebrod 811 (clear formular) must be over 10 years old! i remember it performed well on all threads except for black where it would leave sparkly crystals, maybe that was because of the way i thinned it with alchohol, adding too much or too little, or did others experience that too when using it?

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Date: September 18, 2012 03:11PM

As fare as I know black does not play well with CP changes color
I would think to remedy this using NCP thread and Metallic with black would give better results Then just finish

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Randolph Ruwe (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: September 18, 2012 04:53PM

Trondak color lock is the best there is, bar none!!

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns10.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 18, 2012 05:37PM

Everyones got their favourite. I'll go with Steve Mcleod and endorse chromaseal. Perfect colour retention especially on madeira thread, even the black.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: September 18, 2012 09:11PM

Hi brad thank you, I ordered the new stuff from bingham. It's milky and watery, the stuff I have is like a clear gel. I felt the new stuff didn't perform as well

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster