I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spinning rods in general
Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: September 17, 2012 05:42PM

I am considering building a few spinning rods to have something to show and to sell (got the license now). I agree with the NGC and 27x in general, but these would be built without knowing what reel will be used. I suppose you would assume a 1000 reel on an ultralight, 1500 on a trout rod, 2500 on a dropshot, 4000 for steelhead and set up the guides that way. What do you think?

Greg

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinning rods in general
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 17, 2012 05:56PM

If you're going to pre-build the rods, that's about all you can do - estimate what reel sizes will be used and if you sell the rods, make that recommendation to the fisherman. As long as they use a similar size reel, it's going to be fine. Just because a reel is a little bit larger or a little smaller the casting qualities are not going to fall off the chart.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse5.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 17, 2012 06:05PM

Hi Greg,
Include a bit of info with the rods saying what size reels they were set up with to work at an optimum. Also state that they will still work well with other reel sizes but not at an optimum. As Tom has said a bit of variation in reelsize is not going to destroy the casting abilities.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 17, 2012 06:30PM

I think it is good to have something to show a prospective customer. Perhaps even an outfit he can cast and such. However I think you are doing yourself a diservice by selling "pre-built" rods. They take away many of the selling points of a custom rod.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: September 17, 2012 06:54PM

That will work fine. I have 2 steelhead rods identically set up with 30mm lower guides and the same choker guide space. They work fine with 2 different reels that have significantly spool diameter. It may not be optimum, but you can't tell while fishing.

But I agree with the sentiment that a "prebuilt" rod is not exactly a custom rod, but it will showcase what you can do if asked. And if someone wants to buy one of your demos, so much the better!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 17, 2012 07:15PM

I set up all of my spinning rods to work with a 2500 sized reel.

For different applications, I may use any where from a 1000 sized reel on the rod up to a 4000 sized reel.

By using the 2500 sized optimum setup, all of the different reel sizes work very well.

Roger

Posted by: Greg Foy (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: September 17, 2012 09:00PM

Thanks, I'll probably go with those reel sizes for the guide layout. It wouldn't be a huge batch of rods. The idea is to get the word out and show that they can get a custom rod, also I could sell them if someone wants to buy one. Last year I showed a few personal fly rods at a confab and people asked if they were for sale. I wasn't really prepared with pricing or anything plus they were my own, used rods.

Greg

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 18, 2012 10:33AM

Hi,

Manufacturers have no problem selling spin rods in stores with no mention of what reel to use. You can at least tell them what reel you used.

I believe in having rods on site for people needing a rod now.

If people come to see you for a rod, home, shop, show or whatever I believe it is VERY important to have rods available for folks to see, feel or flex. They want to see your work and what is available.

The floor racks in my shop/den hold rods for sale and my demo rods (rods that I fish and loan customers). The ceiling racks hold finished customer rods and rods too long for the floor racks. My customers always check these racks looking for anything that is new, blanks, thread combos, new components. I had several of the Batson Alps trigger reel seats sitting on the shelf in the middle of the rod rack. It was a convenient place for me to drop them. Well guys see them and wanted them. A friend comes in and wants the Batson double trigger reel seat in cobalt blue. Turns out they have to be special ordered and a minimum order of 5. Now that's a bit of money to have on the shelf. But I ordered them. When the guys saw the extras on the rack shelf they were sold very quickly
and those are very expensive reel seats. Can never figure out what will work unless I try.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster