I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Yet another spiral wrap question
Posted by: Mark Fink (---.in.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 17, 2012 02:27PM

I have been researching the various methods of the spiral wrap and I like the simple spiral but on the 7' bass bait-casting rod I am building with micro guides the line was very close if not touching the rod as I loaded ithe rod to test placement. I moved the stripper guide less than 10 degrees off of top dead center and it made all the difference.
So my question is, does that stripper guide have to be at zero degrees or can I go with a small adjustment without ill effects?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Yet another spiral wrap question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 17, 2012 02:30PM

You can go a few degrees offset if you wish, just make sure the line doesn't stack heavy to one side as you retrieve hard pulling lures.

One other thought, if the line was close to touching the blank, it's not the Simple Spiral that's at fault - your stripper guide is simply too small or too low.

Posted by: Mark Fink (---.in.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 17, 2012 02:48PM

Thanks Tom!
I figured that the stripper guide height was the culprit but since this is my first build I wanted to get experienced thoughts. I was hoping to get by with the fewest guides possible, I may reconsider and go with the revolver too. This is a jig / worm rod so no issues with hard pulling lures, just hard pulling fish I hope. :)

Posted by: Don O'Neil (---.dhcp.asfd.ct.charter.com)
Date: September 17, 2012 02:56PM

I rotate the first guide 60 degrees, the second 120 degrees and the third is at 180. I don't use micro guides. It is important that the direction of rotation is to the left for a right hand reel and to the right for a lefty.

The argument can be made that if you use a reel with a level wind feature the first guide should be at 0 degrees to relieve pressure on the level wind as it won't have to push the line against the lines rotation. I fish hard and often with both level and non level wind reels on the 60/120 degree configuration and haven't harmed my level wind reels.

Don

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 17, 2012 02:57PM

Mark,
I have tried all sorts of combinations of sizes and placement of guides on spiral wrapped rods.
I have found that for virtually every case, I need to offset the first guide about 5 -10 degrees in the direction of the guide spiral to have the line stack correctly on the reel.

No issue at all to having the first guide off set a few to many degrees.

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster