I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tarpon Inlay
Posted by: Lam Nguyen (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: September 16, 2012 01:03AM

Below is a link to a tarpon inlay rear grip handle from fishingphotos.net:

[www.fishingphotos.net]

I was wondering if any of you could tell me how to do this. Do you glue the rear grip cork rings together first, lathe it down to desired shape and size, then trace the tarpon onto the cork handle, then cut out the tarpon with a razor blade, then cut out burnt brown corks and glue it onto the cork handle? I would like to do a similar handle for a St. Croix SCV steelhead drift rod that I am building as a gift for a good fishing buddy's wedding present, so any help is much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tarpon Inlay
Posted by: Leigh Englehart (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 16, 2012 08:20AM

yes that is how i did it. i also turned the cork before i glued the rings so i could keep as many imperfections away from the inlay as possible, and i made a stencil to trace the picture on with and then used it to cut out the pieces. i used an exacto type blade holder, easier to work with than a razor blade. hope this helps.

leigh englehart
deltona, Fl

Posted by: Lam Nguyen (162.119.68.---)
Date: September 16, 2012 01:11PM

Yes it did! That is one heck of a piece of artwork, Leigh! It's gonna be a lot of work but my friend's gonna enjoy it tremendously. I have some superfine grade corks with very little imperfections. Gonna glue it on to the blank tonight then lathe it down using my power wrapper since I don't have an actual lathe. Then will take your advice regarding the stencil and exacto blader holder. It's going to be a lot of work but he's gonna enjoy the steelhead that I will put on there for him. Thanks again Leigh!!!!!!

Date: September 16, 2012 01:14PM

Gonna take it really slow on the cuts...............................'measure twice, cut once' is the motto I will use for this project ;-).

Date: September 16, 2012 02:40PM

I see your point about turning the cork pieces before gluing. Will definitely give that a try tonight. Thank you!

Date: September 16, 2012 03:37PM

i worked those grips off of the blank. it was nice to be able to move it around a lot while i was digging out the cork and the tarpon goes all the way around the blank. i think it would be a lot harder to do on the blank. maybe you could shape it with the power wrapper and some all thread. i've been using 1/4" in the past but just learned from others that this is kinda dangerous. if it pops out someones gonna get hurt.they suggested 3/8 min. maybe a cork ring sandwitched between washers and nuts and put that part in the chuck, some space, the grip between washers and nuts and held on the other end by a rod support. i put the image on with pencil first using the stencil. you can erase or clean it off if it gets messed up.when i was satisfied with the image i started cutting and digging. i ended up with a cup full of reject inlay pieces, if it wasnt tight i wouldnt glue it in. post a picture when your done, i would like to see it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2012 03:41PM by Leigh Englehart.

Date: September 16, 2012 03:44PM

one more tip. i found it easier to not worry about the inlay pieces sticking up and when they dried i would use the exacto to trim it closer to flush before i sanded it down.

Date: September 17, 2012 10:10AM

Leigh, I must commend you for your patience. Somehow I feel that this project is going to be tough. Just glued the cork pieces to the SCV blank. Will lathe it down over the next day or two to slightly bigger than desired shape, then gonna start digging. I will post a picture of the handle if it turns out okay ;-). But if I don't post any pictures then I am sure you know why. LOL.

Posted by: Mark Fink (---.in.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 17, 2012 01:06PM

Leigh,
That is really neat!
Do you have anymore photos of that inlay that you could share?
Did you create the graphic for the inlay?
I would like to try this with a bass or panfish graphic when I get far enough along in the rodbuilding craft to feel comfy doing it.
Any info you can share is most appreciated.

Date: September 17, 2012 05:56PM

thanks Mark
there are some other inlays i did in the photo section. sort of copied tatoos or with the fish, found a pic of a fish i liked and laid some tracing paper over it and made a tribal effect out of it. not much more to say about doing other than what i said above, i didn't seem that hard to do. do an easy couple of piece one first, maybe some initials or something. try it on a scrap piece of cork. the more i do the easier it gets. i don't have the tarpon one anymore so i can't post more pictures, sorry. hopefully he is catching fish with it.

Date: September 17, 2012 06:22PM

Leigh, did you ever try using a dremmel to cut out the fish design? I am thinking of using one but thought I would ask to see if you had input on this. Thanks again and wish me luck!

Date: September 17, 2012 08:52PM

never used a dremel, thought about it, tried one cut on a scap piece, but decided it was too hard to control and wouldn't give good crisp lines.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 18, 2012 07:43AM

The good thing about doing inlays is you can practice on scrap pieces of cork until you figure it out. It really isn't that hard to do, just time consuming and it takes a great deal of patience. I was lucky to see a couple of eighh's grips this past weeken, they are amazing works of art. THe 1/4" mandrel "problem" is with a longer piece, my mandrels are 18", if you are using a shorter mandrel it probably will not be a problem because a lot of people use them.

Date: September 18, 2012 10:17AM

Thank you for all the suggestions! I am excited and scared of this project at the same time. I have put the handle on the St Croix SCV 9'6" 6-10lb line weight steelhead rod. I know that this might sound crazy to some, but I extended this rod to 10', reargrip handle is 15" in length, Fuji dual-trigger reel seat and 2.5" cork foregrip. Guides are Fuji SiC micros.

I am trying to trace a picture of a steelhead right now. The fish will wrap around the reargrip. The foregrip will have H & S for the first letter of the bride's and groom's first name.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster