I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Glissengloss thread!
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 15, 2012 10:36AM

I had gotten some thread from Glissengloss.com it is called Rainbow blending thread, a mettalic filament wrapped with nylon fiber, they look really good shiny and sparkling, but when I coated it with epoxy it look like it was going to be all right, but when I came back 5 hours later, there was fish eye galore!! it looked like a pic of valleys and hills, I thought maybe I should of put cp over it, but I was working with dark green, Hunter green color I think, I keep my room clean always, where I wrap, I am wondering if they coat their thread with something that caused that, so does anyone know anything about this thread, sure would like some input, the thread looks really nice. I just put a 2nd coat on it looks like it will go, but time will tell.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Glissengloss thread!
Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.72.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: September 15, 2012 05:05PM

It's been treated with silicone, that's what caused the epoxy to repel it (fisheying) coat it with cp and it will be fine.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Date: September 15, 2012 05:06PM

2nd coat went on fine, now i know cp it!! Tight wraps!

Date: September 15, 2012 05:06PM

2nd coat went on fine, now i know cp it!! Tight wraps!

Date: September 15, 2012 05:07PM

Sorry about posting it twice, my mistake! have a good one!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 16, 2012 09:13AM

never tried it but it is said that if you cut several small pieces of the thread put them in the finish mix that the finish will go on well Of course take the thread out before applying

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 16, 2012 09:33AM

Bill how does that work by putting pieces of thread in with the epoxy thats going on the wraps? curious.

Date: September 16, 2012 10:18AM

Not really sure
I guess the silicone mixes with the finish and counteracts the repelling Not a chemist Builders have done this and say it works Try it on scrap As long as it works who cares why
try a search It was not to long ago

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.83.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: September 16, 2012 10:23AM

I did have it explained to me by Col Chaseling, but i've forgotten. He'll probably explain if he reads your post or someone else will. I've still yet to try this but apparently it does work. But this is just when your using chromaseal cp as far as i know? if your using flexcoat cp then you don't need to add thread to the epoxy as flexcoat forms a stronger barrier compared to chromaseal, and completely seals in the silicone preventing any contamination problems.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns9.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 16, 2012 05:35PM

Hi Lorenzo,
The thread you put in the finish needs to be madeira or similar that contains silicon. By adding silicon you make the surface tension the same as thread with silicon in it. I t works great on madeira without any cp but unfortunately the lighter colours turn translucent so you still need to use cp if you want to retain the original colour. If you try it I think you will have a bigger issues with fish eyes as the ncp thread will have a different surface tension than the finish. I f you want to try it do it on a scrap piece of blank.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: September 16, 2012 06:21PM

Sounds like you will be better off just to coat with CP

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster