I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

EVA durability
Posted by: David Sytsma (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 13, 2012 10:00AM

I have some Mooseskin EVA that I am thinking of trying on a blank (Calstar 6460XH) that would possibly be used for stand-up tuna fishing on a long range boat. I know that most rods of this type use Hypalon. Would the EVA be an acceptable alternative? Chances are it could see a lot of contact with the rail during a fight and I would like it to last more than a couple of trips. I also heard a stray comment on a recent trip I just completed that sunscreen damages EVA. Would anyone care to offer me any any advice? Thanks a lot!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EVA durability
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 13, 2012 10:38AM

EVA comes in varying degrees of hardness. Some of the very firm stuff (the old Lew's speed grips come to mind) will last for years and years in that capacity. Softer grades aren't likely to provide good service in the more demanding application you're asking about.

Posted by: Ken Finch (204.45.134.---)
Date: September 13, 2012 02:59PM

I would not use EVA on any rod meant to be fished on a party boat or off a rail.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 13, 2012 04:29PM

Don't be cheap The rod will get beat up

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Sytsma (---.dhcp.klmz.mi.charter.com)
Date: September 13, 2012 05:52PM

Thanks very much for the advice. I guess it's say hello to hypalon, unless somebody has another suggestion.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 13, 2012 10:47PM

Hi,

I do not like Hypalon as it is heavy and porous. The open pores attract bait juices and eventually stink.

For the fore grip you can use butt wind or a slick butt . I think I used rubberized cork or something like it in the past. Some one help me out on this.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Date: September 14, 2012 07:19AM

You could make a wood grip Bore it out for reel seat arbors to lessen the weight Then several coats of Permagloss or LumiSeal

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 14, 2012 09:37AM

THere are probably a billion rods that use HYpalon for rail rods in CAlifornia. They do make rail rod composite grips, I don't know who sells them though. Just go look at Seeker's factory rods, the Rail Boss series and see what they use on them. Since you never did this before don't invent a new wheel, after you've done the fishing you can tinker around with other materials. Cord is probably OK, uni butt and wood on a foregrip is.....not. The weight is obviously NO CONCERN since you have a heavy blank which will have a heavy reel and catch heavy fish and it will be rested on the rail. THink about it.

Date: September 14, 2012 10:09AM

Why not wood ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 14, 2012 02:35PM

THink about it

Date: September 14, 2012 02:56PM

As fare as I am concerned it is hard Will not flex as much with the blank as eva will But when laid on the rail will hold up better
A hard eva or whatever is cheaper Just glue it on and done
Even some section of slick butt with some added eva or hard cork on the ends can work

Do it simple and use a hard eva or hypalon

You sell the hard stuff -- Don't you

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: September 15, 2012 09:06PM

Hard and slick surfaces do NOT make a good rail rod fore grip. They are hard to control on the rail, could damage the rail when sliding and need to give/bend with the rod. Rail rod fore grips are typically 14" to 16" in length. As Billy said, Think about it. XTube over Hypalon is OK but cold shrink over Hypalon is better and tougher.

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (---.hsd1.sc.comcast.net)
Date: September 16, 2012 12:44AM

Great explanation, Mr. Jim.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster