I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

tip guides in a ice rod
Posted by: Zachary Kowasz (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 12, 2012 07:46AM

I am going to building some UL panfish Ice rods, I have fiberglass blanks sanded down to the action I like but I'm having trouble deciding what type and size guides to use on the tip. I would like to use the lightest possible style and I i don't know whether to go with fly guides or like size 5 minimas, I don't plan on using anything with a ceramic ring. The other problem I'm having is matching the tip guides to a suitable tip top. It seems that the Ice tip tops everyone sells has loop diameter of about 6mm, I would like to find something smaller for lite biting perch and crappie. Any suggestions??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: tip guides in a ice rod
Posted by: Andy Stromsness (199.67.131.---)
Date: September 12, 2012 09:14AM

I have used titanium wire style fly guides in the past and been pretty happy with them for guides. The other thing the wire allows is a little more interrior room if you are fishing out of the shack to avoid icying up. As far as the tip top I have used a guide as well, kind of a paid to wrap but seems to do the trick.

Posted by: Zachary Kowasz (---.sub-174-252-56.myvzw.com)
Date: September 12, 2012 09:57AM

Andy, what brand and size did you use?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 12, 2012 01:56PM

[www.jannsnetcraft.com]

These common fly guides work very very well for ice fishing. The tips are easy to obtain in sizes that will fit pan fish rods as well.
Very light and easy to knock on the ice to knock out any ice that may accumulate in the guides.

It makes no sense at all to put on guides that have ceramic liners in them for ice fishing.

There is little to no fish running activity when ice fishing, so no need for expensive and or ceramic lined guides.

Tough to beat the very light weight and toughness of the standard single foot wire fly guide for ice fishing.

Here Schneider's have tips down to 2.5 - which is pretty common for fine pan fish ice rod tips.

[www.schneidersrods.com]

Again, here is a nice listing from Schneider's for one foot simple fly guides that work very well for ice rods:

Batson Standard Stainless Steel Wire 1 Ft Fly Guides

Hard Chrome Plated Black Chrome Double Coated
Part Number Description Price Part Number Description Price
HSFGP2/0 1 Ft Fly Guide Sz 2/0 $ 1.05 BLSFGP2/0 1 Ft Fly Blk Guide Sz 2/0 $ 0.75
HSFGP1/0 1 Ft Fly Guide Sz 1/0 $ 1.05 BLSFGP1/0 1 Ft Fly Blk Guide Sz 1/0 $ 0.75
HSFGP1 1 Ft Fly Guide Sz 1 $ 1.05 BLSFGP1 1 Ft Fly Blk Guide Sz 1 $ 0.75
HSFGP2 1 Ft Fly Guide Sz 2 $ 1.05 BLSFGP2 1 Ft Fly Blk Guide Sz 2 $ 0.75
HSFGP3 1 Ft Fly Guide Sz 3 $ 1.05 BLSFGP3 1 Ft Fly Blk Guide Sz 3 $ 0.75
HSFGP4 1 Ft Fly Guide Sz 4 $ 1.05 BLSFGP4 1 Ft Fly Blk Guide Sz 4 $ 0.75
HSFGP5 1 Ft Fly Guide Sz 5 $ 1.13 BLSFGP5 1 Ft Fly Blk Guide Sz 5 $ 0.83
HSFGP6 1 Ft Fly Guide Sz 6 $ 1.20 BLSFGP6 1 Ft Fly Blk Guide Sz 6 $ 0.88

===============
As you can see from the list - there is really no need or reason to spend a lot of money for ice rod guides. The fish don't run, and you don't cast. So, guide friction is a non issue. But it is nice to have very light guides. Tough to beat the weight of these single foot fly guides.

One thing that is fairly important is to have the first or butt guide of a height that matches the reel. i.e. it is nice to have the height of the butt guide of a size so that the top of the guide comes to the center of the reel. That way, when reeling in a big fish and the rod is bent double, the line pulls off of the reel and as you wind, there is smooth winding on the reel, no matter the bail position.

If you use a butt guide that is too low, you will find that you have a low angle of line to the blank when the bail rotates close to the blank, but then has a very acute angle when the bail rotates away from the blank. This low guide height results in a very jerky line retrieve. After the first guide, the guide size can be quickly reduced. You are only trying to smooth out the line retrieve under high tension with the higher guide height of the butt guide.
One guide that works well with the fly guides for a butt guide is the PAC bay minima match guide in a size 8 for example.

Roger

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2012 08:46AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Andy Stromsness (---.233.106.216.unassigned.sdncommunications.com)
Date: September 12, 2012 10:25PM

I have used several different brands. To echo Roger's point lots of different ones work well. Size wise I often start with a 8 recoil spinning guide then use 8's or 6's in the wire fly guide style to finish out.

Posted by: Zachary Kowasz (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 13, 2012 09:04AM

Roger,

I actuallly have pacbay minma matches taped to the rod right now, a 10 then a 5, I think I will order some size 1 fly guides to go with that, Thanks for the input guys!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 13, 2012 03:05PM

Zachary,
Nothing at all wrong with the pacbay minima match guides. Lots of commercial rods are wrapped with these guides and work very well.

I have built a lot of ice rods with the butt guide as a match pac bay guide and then the rest - conventional pac pay minima guides.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 13, 2012 04:34PM

heck

I new there was some thing I forgot to order form MudHole

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: chip burdick (---.sub-174-254-179.myvzw.com)
Date: September 15, 2012 08:59AM

Are they going to be shanty rods or outside rods. Shanty rods I will use w

minima4 size 4. Outside rods i use a 6 or 8 so it don't ice up. Not much weight difference between a 4 and 8 to effect the action.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster