I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Jig to drill handle hole
Posted by: Jon Meyers (---.vikingpallet.com)
Date: September 10, 2012 10:52AM

Hey guys,

So I just finished up lathing out my first handle, it's a 12" cedar handle for a musky rod I'm building for my uncle. The problme is I have the handle done but I still need to drill a hole donw the middle about 10 inches deep.

I have a wierd lathe where I can't put a drill bit on it to drill the whole so I need to use a drill press. Problem is I don't want to hurt the handle anyway by clamping it in a press and I need to make sure the hole is straigt. I was thinking about making some kind of Jig to se it in but don't really know where to start...any ideas?? The hole would have to be .822 inch thick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jig to drill handle hole
Posted by: Don O'Neil (---.dhcp.asfd.ct.charter.com)
Date: September 10, 2012 11:22AM

Jon,

You should have drilled the hole as close to the blank diameter as possible before you turned the handle. After you drill the hole the unturned grip is put on a mandril then turned to final shape. There are lots of youtube videos that detail step by step how it id done.

Don

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 10, 2012 11:51AM

I have used "aircraft bits" which are 12" - 15 " long Holding the grip on one hand the drill in the other run it down thru to whatever depth you desire back fill with epoxy and set the blank you should be good to go also I have re shafted rods this way basicly reaming the old blank and replacing the new blank Larry

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 10, 2012 02:53PM

Jon,
Can you post a picture of your lathe?

Most lathes, can have accessories added to allow you to do this job.

Here is the setup that I used on a recent handle turning project.

By the way, I have no idea where you are located, but from your e-mail it might be Minn. If so, and if you are in the Minneapolis area, you could certainly stop over and use my lathe to drill your hole.
When doing this job on my lathe, I wrap the handle in about 4 wraps of paper towels to prevent any marks from the chuck on the grip.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Drop me a line at
hflier@comcast.net - for any help.

Roger

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 10, 2012 05:40PM

See if you can find some one in your are that does wood working. Drilling any other way is a risk as far as I`m concerned. How would everything stay perfectly lined up?

I bought an old Dunlop lathe thinking I would be able to put a chuck on the tail stock. Now I find out that I cannot. I bought a Rockwell at an @#$%& all set up with a three jaw chuck, face plate, Center spru and 1/2 inch chuck for the tail stock. It`s great!

Who wants to buy an old Dunlop lathe?

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Jon Meyers (---.vikingpallet.com)
Date: September 11, 2012 08:56AM

Thanks for all the help, I think I'm going to take my tail stock into rockler later this afternoon to seeif there is anyhting we can come up with... I'll post pictures of what we come up with!

Date: September 11, 2012 11:02AM

Jon,
Remember, when you go to Rockler, if you can't find a threaded rod of the correct size, you can go with a completely new tail stock.
You just have to match the height of your headstock and be able to have the base of the tail stock fit the bed of your lathe.

Roger

Date: September 13, 2012 09:56PM

Jon,
Thanks for stopping over tonight to get the handle and fore grip drilled.

The lathe and the right size bit, made the job pretty straight forward.

Good luck on the rest of your rod build.

Roger

Posted by: Jon Meyers (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: September 16, 2012 07:01PM

Thanks Roger!

I appreciate the help and it was nice to meet you! I'll be sure to send you some pictures when the job is complete! I'm sure I'll have some more questions for you in the future!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 16, 2012 07:04PM

Nice Roger
really Cool

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster