I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel seat / winding check install issue
Posted by: Mark Fink (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: September 10, 2012 08:07AM

As some may recall, I am building my 1st rod , casting with a Fuji ECSM seat and no foregrip. I received a rubber winding check from Lance, THANKS Lance for helping get the check figured out, it is the correct size.
My issue is that the blank is not perfectly centered in the seat at the point where the check sits so there is just enough offset to make the check not sit flush all the way around, specifically on top where I will see it every time I pick it up. I'm guessing it is only 1/64" to 1/32", not much but the perfectionist in me sure would like to remedy this. Am i being too picky or can this be fixed?
I was thinking of making a wood shim to center it up but was worried I may cause a pressure point that will come back to haunt me.
I would like suggestions from the members, what can be done?

Also, is the seat not being centered a common issue? When I epoxied it on I noticed at that time that it was off center and I put a shim in to help and it did fix some of it but it didn't cure it 100%.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel seat / winding check install issue
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: September 10, 2012 02:59PM

Mark,
Pretty simple.
Just use a razor blade to trim the winding check on the thin side of the blank. When the rod is wrapped and finished, the fact that the winding check is not round will never be noticed.

Roger

Date: September 10, 2012 03:03PM

by the way, in the future, use a foam arbor with the hole centered to insure that your reel gets centered when doing the assembly.

When I ream or drill out the foam arbor for my rod builds, I wear jersey gloves to hold the arbor in my fingers. I use a circular file chucked in a drill that is running backwards to ream the arbor. As I am reaming the arbor to the size of the blank , I will let the arbor slip in my gloved fingers frequently so that the hole stays centered in the foam arbor. If you free hand drill or ream the arbor, and keep the arbor in a fixed position in your fingers, it is very easy to have the hole get off center.
But, if you ream and let the arbor slip and spin a bit now and then, the hole will self center in the foam.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 10, 2012 03:35PM

Next time dry fit several times and look at the seat You should be able to tell if it is not centered Fix it then with maybe a arbor of 1/4 " tape to center it or whatever it takes Check - then glue when correct

Like I say try fit several times Reamers you can use buy hand and I have never had a hole off center With a drill it goes to fast Seat arbors are soft

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mark Fink (---.in.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: September 10, 2012 03:48PM

Mark Fink Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As some may recall, I am building my 1st rod ,
> casting with a Fuji ECSM seat and no foregrip. I
> received a rubber winding check from Lance, THANKS
> Lance for helping get the check figured out, it is
> the correct size.
> My issue is that the blank is not perfectly
> centered in the seat at the point where the check
> sits so there is just enough offset to make the
> check not sit flush all the way around,
> specifically on top where I will see it every time
> I pick it up. I'm guessing it is only 1/64" to
> 1/32", not much but the perfectionist in me sure
> would like to remedy this. Am i being too picky or
> can this be fixed?
> I was thinking of making a wood shim to center it
> up but was worried I may cause a pressure point
> that will come back to haunt me.
> I would like suggestions from the members, what
> can be done?
>
> Also, is the seat not being centered a common
> issue? When I epoxied it on I noticed at that time
> that it was off center and I put a shim in to help
> and it did fix some of it but it didn't cure it
> 100%.

I take it that you are you saying to trim the ID of the check not the OD correct?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: September 10, 2012 04:00PM

Don't know how bad it is but you could think of putting a wrap of thread and nice coat of finish over that

I would also think he meant the OD or you will have a gap under the check if you do the ID Then maybe coat with finish carefully so you don't get it on the seat - tape over the seat end

Bill - willierods.com

Date: September 10, 2012 08:55PM

Mark,
Trim the part of the winding check that is necessary to make for a nice looking check.k
Roger

Date: September 11, 2012 08:31AM

roger wilson Wrote:
> Mark,
> Trim the part of the winding check that is
> necessary to make for a nice looking check.k
> Roger

Is that the ID or OD that you are referring to?
It seems to me that if I trim the OD it will not look very good but I'm not sure trimming the ID will result in a good fit...please confirm Roger.

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: September 11, 2012 09:16AM

Sounds to me like this is the right time to learn about the "epoxy ramp". It can be molded to fit the existing situation. Just a thought.
Bill

Date: September 11, 2012 09:29AM

William (Bill) Jones Wrote:
> Sounds to me like this is the right time to learn
> about the "epoxy ramp". It can be molded to fit
> the existing situation. Just a thought.
> Bill

Bill,
Is the epoxy ramp made of thread finish epoxy or some other epoxy?
I am assuming a very short ramp from seat to blank...I am all ears and would like to hear more.

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: September 11, 2012 11:09AM

Others with more eperience than I can help here. The first thing I do is to mix up some gel epoxy and mold it around the base of the rod up to the edge of the reel seat. Got to be careful to not get the epoxy on the rel seat threads if this is down locking. Clean up thoroughly with the solvent of your choice. Hold the epoxy down just a little so the reel seat is a little proud so thread and finish will meet just at the reel seat. Then I wrap thread up the ramp and apply a thin coat of finish over the thread if that is warranted.
I have tinted the epoxy and left it as is. Try it out on an old throw away to get the process down. Once I painted the arbor and used just the epoxy. The check like Lance sent has all but eliminated my use of the epoxy ramp. But as you have learned, the blank has to be centered in the arbor.
Good Luck
Bill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster