I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

SEARBS meeting
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns17.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 08, 2012 05:03AM

Had our second SEARBS meeting today and we have now got three new members who are keen to continue so the group is building nicely. Had to get some formaities out of the way and it was agreed that we have an aim "To promote rodbuilding as a worthwile and rewarding hobby and to try and get some younger people involved." Two of the new guys are reasonably young so we have made a start. Handed out the Rodmaker mags and International Custom Rodbuilding stickers that Tom provided and everyone was very appreciative of that gesture, a big thanks to Tom for that. We also decided to get some shirts and caps made up to help promote the cause. Also decided to try and start some sort of classes at schools to help get some younger people involved. That will take a bit of work but we can do it. Also want to try and get some books like Tom's into schools also.Watched the dvd that Tom also provided and there is some good stuff in that. Did a bit of marbling and mucked around with blanks and rods that were brought along. Time flies when your having a good time!!!
All together a pretty good day but I forgot to get my camera out until a couple had to leave a bit early, appologies for that but there's always next time and hopefully Mark Newcombe will be there and he will get a lot better shots than me. Got home to find an email from another guy who wants to join so things are heading in the right direction.
A big thanks to Barry Chapman for the use of his residence and for providing lunch, it's appreciated.
At the next meet in November we will have Mark Fisher as a guest and that will be one not to be missed as he is one of the best in the country.
Anyone in the Sydney/Wollongong area is welcome to attend.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2012 06:28AM by Col Chaseling.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SEARBS meeting
Posted by: Dale Holmes (123.17.223.---)
Date: September 08, 2012 06:31AM

Hi Col,

I have read your posts with some interest and I congratulate you on the efforts you have made to start this small friendly group of rodbuilders over on the "Big Island".

By the way what does the ESFNEM stand for in your signature?

Cheers
Dale

Hobart, TAS
Australia

Posted by: Tristan Batho (---.ryqe1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 08, 2012 07:48AM

was a fun day learnt a few tricks and tips been playing with this rod since i got home and cant stop. it was good to meet afew rod builders other than the net and actually talk face to face
cant wait for the the next meet
oh and the stickers fits nicely on the back of my car, cheers for that Tom, and thanks Barry for the hospitality seeing your workshop/area makes me want to buy a house and do a room just for building rods

Tristan
Sydney, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Col Chaseling (101.161.174.---)
Date: September 08, 2012 07:49AM

Hi Dale,
Eat, Sleep, Fish, Nothing, Else Matters. Try that on your wife or girlfriend and see where it gets you!!!

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: September 08, 2012 08:04AM

Col.

Good job at getting this all together.

One thing I have learned with our group is Rod Builders make good friends.

Keep up the good work.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns3.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 08, 2012 04:16PM

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the words. The group is coming along nicely and we now have eight members and all are keen to stay involved. We need to get the meetings a bit better organised with topics etc. The next one is easy, decorative thread work with Mark Fisher, all day. I'd say he'll have a few questions to answer.
Problems arrise if we get a lot of members and we need to hire somewhere to have meetings because of the cost and transport of the gear needed. We'll cross that bridge if we come to it..
Someone needs to do all the co-ordinating and it looks like that's me, but I enjoy that and Barry Chapman is a big help.
A small fuzzy idea I had when I saw where Barry lived and then Ray Balmforth got involved and it's just progressed from there. We'll just try and improve on what we're doing and see where it goes. Got to keep meetings fun and informative.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: ray balmforth (---.lnse1.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 08, 2012 06:27PM

Was a good day and got to meet with likeminded people that are all doiing the same thing but for all different applications.
A big thankyou to Tom Kirkman for sending over the goodies for Col to hand out.And also to Col for doing all the leg work
and to Barry for his hospitality and providing lunch.

As the song goes from little things big things grow.Looking forward to the next meeting should be a good one.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: September 08, 2012 07:11PM

I'm very glad this worked out well for you guys. If I might offer one little bit of advice - keep it informal and keep it fun. The instant you turn it into a bona fide "club" with officers, newsletters, etc., you've taken a wrong turn that generally leads away from the subject about which it was started and then heads into politics, drama, etc., etc.

Good luck.

Date: September 08, 2012 08:05PM

Hi Tom,
My thoughts exactly, but we had a bit of formal stuff to get out of the way. Will try and have an agenda so that we know what is happening and I'll keep some rough minutes so that those that can't get there will have an idea where we're up to and I think thats all we need. Thanks again for the stuff you sent, it went down very well and there will be a few more subscribers to the mag.
Definitely needs to be light hearted with the least possible formalities. Barry Chapman and I don't need titles like "Pesident, Secretary or Treasurer", we just need to talk and show rodbuilding stuff as well as showing any new builders how it's done. I've already got enough to do without creating any more work. So far it has progressed well and the number of new members is encouraging.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Mark Newcombe (---.098.dsl.syd.iprimus.net.au)
Date: September 08, 2012 08:26PM

Great stuff guys i was there in spirit. Should be good for the next one. I you guys are keen id be happy to host one in the new year make it an overnighter and we could work a fish in. Good to hear about the shirts and so on do you want me to work on a logo or anything. Talk soon.

Mark Newcombe
Old Bar NSW
Australia

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: September 08, 2012 08:50PM

G'Day Mark We missed having you here but you were mentioned quite a few times so rest assured your not forgotten . I've done some work on the logo but I'm sure there would be no issue with your contribution. You probably have a better eye for this than I do considering your previous occupation & at the end of the day the more ideas the better.
I for one would be interested in your thoughts & I'm sure the others would also.

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Date: September 08, 2012 10:14PM

Hi Mark,
Hope you are on the improve and you were definitely missed. Will definitely hold a meeting up your way next year, I was thinking of having a week up there and do a spot of Jewie fishing. Let me know you thoughts on that and if ok I will see if any others want to stay longer. Shirts are a goer so let me know what size and how many. Going for tees and polos and maybe long sleeved polos also so let me know want you prefer. Ray knows a screen printer and he is looking into that. Barry's stuff is good so hope he can send you a copy and let him know your thoughts. Also need to come up with a smaller logo to go on caps so you might be able to come up with something nice and unique.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Tim Olsen (---.static.pacific.net.au)
Date: September 09, 2012 07:36PM

Hi all,

It was great to meet up with some fellow rodbuilders. As a beginner, it's great to be able to network with some experienced rodbuilders to learn off. Thanks to Baz for his hospitality (sorry I wasn't able to stay for lunch), Col for organising the meeting, Ray for introducing me to the crew and Tom for the goodies. I look forward to the next meet up!

Cheers,
Timo

MInnamurra, NSW
Australia

Posted by: ray balmforth (---.lnse1.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 10, 2012 06:21AM

No worries Tim glad to see you have joined.Any help you need just ask you can come up anytime if you like just let me know.

cheers

Ray Balmforth
Figtree
NSW
Australia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster