I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

[tip top match
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 02, 2012 03:46PM

Im going to use Minima 4 fly guides with Tich finish. Im running out with either 5's or 6's. The Tip Top XP4XT comes in Chrome what would be a good subsitute? Both the Chrome and the Tich start with a 6 ring and my tube size is a 4,5. I like the TT to be the same ring size as the first running guide thanks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2012 12:05PM by Maryann Cohen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: [tip top match
Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: September 02, 2012 07:06PM

Maryann: I am in the same boat. I wanted to go with a size 5 Minima 4 fly guide, but couldn't find a Minima 4 tip top in a size 5 ring. I am not familiar with the XP4XT TT. I would really like to find a Minima 4 size 5 TT in black and chrome for my new fly rod.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 03, 2012 09:20AM

Batson's XTCPPCT06R05.0 tips are pretty close
or you could go with titanium tips

Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: September 03, 2012 11:44AM

Mike the xp4xt tips start with a ring size of 6.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: September 04, 2012 11:50AM

Marryann:

Can't find them in the current Pac Bay catalog. I did find them on line. I am doing a 9' 5 wt fly rod and a Batson SB740-4 spinning rod and am using the Minima guides for the first time. I just don't know if the size 4 rings in the Minima guides will work with the 5wt fly rod. I also want to use the black and chrome Minima 4 guides.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: September 08, 2012 01:54PM

Maryann,

Here are a few things from my experience that might help. When working on bass rods with micro guides, until recently smaller tip tops with bracing and designs that could take some abuse were not available, it wasn't uncommon to use a braced 6mm tip top with 3mm or 4mm micro running guides. The larger tip tops were more durable than what was available. Even with smaller tip tops now available, it's still advisable to go to the 6mm top when designing a rod to be used with heavy mono or fluoro (15lb or larger). In the smaller tip tops, the heavier line doesn't exit very well and can pinch as it makes the turn away from the rod. With that said, those issues may or may not be important in your fly rod building.

Something that may be of interest. I've often noticed that tip tops are designed so the ring sits closer to the blank and that the ring is angled away from the blank. Both result in pulling the line closer to the blank. You can get a straighter line path in that last segment by going to a slightly larger diameter ring in the tip top, say a 6mm tip top with 5mm running guides or a 7-8mm tip top with 6mm running guides. It may seem a little counter intuitive at first, but can have its merits if you consider the option of going to a slightly larger tip top.

I hope this helps a bit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster