I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Glow in the dark Thread
Posted by: Chris Phillips (---.netrun.cytanet.com.cy)
Date: September 01, 2012 05:35PM

The squid fishing season is round the corner and thought of hitting the guys thisyear with some glow in the dark rods!!!! I think this would boost the image of custom rod building within our fishing community. Having thought about it I came to the conclusion that a luminous say 5-6 inch rod tip would look and serve the purpose. This could be achieved by wrapping the last tip-top end of the rod with some sort of louminous thread. From what I gathered, this kind of substance can glow for an approximate period of three months.Long enough for a season of night squid fishing. Better yet is that the guys will be coming back every year for a fresh rewrap.!! The only thing left is finding a good thread for the purpose, so if anyone has anything in mind please give us your "lights"!!!
Thanks.

Phillips Hot Rods
C Y P R U S
[phillipshotrods.wix.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Glow in the dark Thread
Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: September 01, 2012 06:37PM

Chris:

Do a search for UNI-products. They make a phosporescent thread used in fly tying. It is called Uni-Glo. I have never used this product, and know nothing about it. There is a contact us link, on their web site. They should be Fisherman friendly since they are geared towards fly tying.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: September 01, 2012 07:01PM

Hi Chris,
Madeira also make a "glow in the dark" thread but like Mike I have no idea what it's like. www.madeira.com .

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: September 02, 2012 05:42AM

Thanks gentlemen , the chase is on!!

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: September 02, 2012 10:36AM

Fish hawk has some glow in the dark thread. I have tried it and it is ok. make sure to undercoat with white to get the most out of it. i would recommend putting some "illume tape" or the illume paint. the illume tape will pick up any available light and is easy to see even in the dark. the illume paint will actually light up your rod for hours according to the manufacturer. it would need to be applied each trip but supposed to work like a glow stick. I havent used the illume paint but it might be great for surf or other night fishing. Alsa Paint has the illume paint

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: September 02, 2012 11:14AM

I've used the Uni Glow as indicators on some flies and it glows fairly well. it's about a size D thread if I remember right.
also look at some of the embroidery places. I know the wife picked up a pack that had 5 or 6 different colors in it. Green, yellow, blue, purple etc.

Date: September 02, 2012 11:20AM

Thanks, appreciate it!!

Date: September 02, 2012 11:48AM

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: September 02, 2012 09:41PM

From experience over the last 3-4 years I've had poor success with glow in the dark thread. Slightly better with paint / epoxy additives. Thread glow (after charging with medium intensity light) lasts about 10 minutes before you need to re-expose it to a light source. Additives - especially green glow for about 20 minutes before they need to be brought back into a light source - the additives actually glow (fluoresce) better and longer after exposure to a black-light (UVA) source. If there is some ambient light then JP has hit it with a reflective tape type material. If you want to have an independent source of "glow" put an bite / strike indicator on the end of the fishing rod you will be much better off. There are several on the market that work off LED light sources and "button" batteries as are used in hearing aids. They cost anywhere between $2.50 and $10. BreakAway USA has one that can be wrapped on a rod blank with thread just like a guide. The LED type indicators normally last a year or more (assuming they are turned off when not in use). Stay away from the "el cheapo" models - like those with attached bells - they are not durable. I know this isn't going to provide you with the yearly customer charge you laid out in your post --- but then I don't see planned obsolesce as a very wise marketing move either. Better to put something in a fisherman's hands that he will show off to his fishing friends time after time; night after night

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)

From experience over the last 3-4 years I've had poor success with glow in the dark thread. Slightly better with paint / epoxy additives. Thread glow (after charging with medium intensity light) lasts about 10 minutes before you need to re-expose it to a light source. Additives - especially green glow for about 20 minutes before they need to be brought back into a light source - the additives actually glow (fluoresce) better and longer after exposure to a black-light (UVA) source. If there is some ambient light then JP has hit it with a reflective tape type material. If you want to have an independent source of "glow" put an bite / strike indicator on the end of the fishing rod you will be much better off. There are several on the market that work off LED light sources and "button" batteries as are used in hearing aids. They cost anywhere between $2.50 and $10. BreakAway USA has one that can be wrapped on a rod blank with thread just like a guide. The LED type indicators normally last a year or more (assuming they are turned off when not in use). Stay away from the "el cheapo" models - like those with attached bells - they are not durable. I know this isn't going to provide you with the yearly customer charge you laid out in your post --- but then I don't see planned obsolesce as a very wise marketing move either. Better to put something in a fisherman's hands that he will show off to his fishing friends time after time; night after night

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 03, 2012 09:05AM

Gary, I ordered some of that last week, as wel las some other specialty threads they have. Curious how it will look in a Dec Wrap.

Date: September 03, 2012 10:22AM

Ken,
Thanks for the info i will certailnly have a look into the BreakAway USA lights. The rewrap was not ment in order to generate "annual income" although the way I wrote it did. Custom rod building here is still Unknown to people. Our Island has 1 million people and I am the only custom rod builder around!! I do not make a living out of it , I am an airline Captain with Cyprus Airways by proffesion and rodbuilding is a passioned hobby. What I meant was it would be a good excuse to stay in touch with people and have a good fishing talk over a free rewrap. Most of the rods I build go to friends with no labour charge. This is the only way I can keep on building and perfecting my skills with no expences. I do however have plans to do it full time in a few years after I retire from Flying.Thanks again,

Phillips Hot Rods
C Y P R U S

Date: September 03, 2012 10:36AM

Ken I've been into their website ( BreakAway USA), and this lights seem to be somewhat bulky. Gave me another idea though, wrapping the little tube insert of the glow sticks , so that all one has to do is insert one whenever he needs to night fish. !!

Phillips Hot Rods
C Y P R U S

Posted by: Scott D parsons (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 03, 2012 04:51PM

I have looked very hard at this, ad it really won't work because of the finish used absorbes the UV so the glow in the dark doesn't really work, also tried it with color change thread and go the same results, Just my 2 cents.
Thanks
Scott

Scott Parsons
919-900-8998
[www.roddancer.com]
[www.fishhawkthreads.com]

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 03, 2012 08:28PM

Scott if oyu posted that a week ago I would have saved some $$$. I bought both of those threads.

Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.rsvlcmta01.rlvlar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: September 03, 2012 09:31PM

I few years ago I bought some LED lights that are for disc golf disc. They were only about 1/8in diameter and 1 1/2in long. Pretty neat. I used to use the 1in glow sticks taped to the rod. They can be purchased cheaply in bulk.

[www.rod-n-bobbs.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/03/2012 09:33PM by Brandon Gay.

Posted by: Scott D parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: September 04, 2012 11:06AM

Heck Billy this wasn't up a week ago. Sorry

Scott Parsons
919-900-8998
[www.roddancer.com]

Date: September 04, 2012 11:11AM

Scott, would the color change work with something like Permagloss or does that have UV inhibitors also? I forget.

Posted by: Scott D parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: September 04, 2012 01:02PM

it seemed like when I coated it with anything it prevented it from working, I tried TM, TM1, Lumiseal, Chromaseal, PG. Because I thought it would be great to bring to market, but it just wouldn't work.

Scott Parsons
919-900-8998
[www.roddancer.com]

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster