I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Uplocking VS Downlocking Spinning Seats
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 31, 2012 10:28AM

Got into a discussion yesterday about whether it might be a good idea to offer a rear grip for an SK2 when the body (SKSS16/B) is used in the back and the nut and hood (and threaded barrel) are used up front to create a downlocking seat. Fuji doesn't seem to acknowledge this configuration since the "body" is not sized for a rear grip. It's relatively small in diameter compared to seats made to accept a rear grip, but our prototypes are very comfortable and not too small. So, the question is does anybody need (or want) a cork/EVA option that will allow downlocking seats for an SK2 Spinning Seat? Offering one would also allow the use of a traditional metal hood or the graphite/nylon hood and nut as an option on an SK2 spinning seat, both downlocking. Currently the single suggested option for SK2 spinning seats is an uplocking "hidden thread" design using part (KSKSS16/ASH). There are six configurations for the casting....one for spinning.

Would you like a downlocking option for the SK2 Spinning seat?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Uplocking VS Downlocking Spinning Seats
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 31, 2012 01:07PM

I don't use the SK2 because a size 20 NPS cut short with a KDPS downlocking is by far the most comfy seat for me. These dinky size 16 seats make my hands cramp up. Tell the people at Fuji tha tAmericans dont' have tiny hands like they do and to start making bigger sized seats! lol

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: August 31, 2012 01:09PM

Hello Jim.

When I go pier fishing I generally jig using a "Got-Cha" plug with the tip down and an uplocking reel the threads on the reel seat dig into the web of my hand between the thumb and forefinger but the "SK2" LOOKS like it would not do that but I can't tell fore sure, I have bought a few of these seats but have not had enough time to REALLY look at them.

Have you tried using a rod in this manor with the seat in the uplocking position? and if you did, did the threads dig into the web of your hand?

Thanks for all you do!

It's Friday so Tight Wraps, Tight Lines & Tight Fisher-People!
Good Day!

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 31, 2012 01:33PM

Always
That is why I always use down locking
Hate those threads

Bill - willierods.com

Date: August 31, 2012 02:19PM

The current uplocking spinning seat in the SK2 hides all thread. Plus is it much larger than any other cork handle we offer. This sort of answers all questions above (thanks, by the way, for your comments) so I'm not sure I've made any progress here. Other comments?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 31, 2012 04:01PM

Got a link with measurements

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 31, 2012 05:23PM

Jim,

Personally, I prefer down locking seats. I'm one of those odd balls that hold spinning rods in my left hand and reel with the right. I've always found that uplocking spinning seats had a tendency to back off due to the torque from the palm resting on the left side of the grip. When I need to use a seat on a personal rod, I opt for downlocking to prevent the nut from backing off due to the way I hold the rod.

If I were to use the SK2 components for a downlocking seat, it would probably be the Nubbin fore grip as a rear grip, and the SKSS seat downlocking with exposed threads trimmed. If the OD of the small end of the Nubbin fore grip is small enough for the locking nut to pass over the top, it could make a great fore grip as well with trimmed threads.

Joe

Date: August 31, 2012 05:26PM

Never crossed my mind Joe. Thanks.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 31, 2012 07:10PM

Down locking+1

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.pool.starband.net)
Date: August 31, 2012 08:09PM

Downlocking & cut off a lot of the threads & no fore grip. Lighter & more comfortable.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (74.198.165.---)
Date: September 01, 2012 10:03AM

My hands are large hands and I have a touch of arthritis. My personal spinning rods have Fuji IPSM down locking seats with the threads trimmed.
I love the way the cork grip wraps around the seat, cushioning my hand. I tried the VSS and found it felt too small for me.
These little SKSS might look sleet, and be fine for tiny hands, but not for mine.
If the next design is any smaller Fiji should call it SKAB...HAHAHA
Garry2rs

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: September 01, 2012 12:03PM

Downlocking option would be nice. I currently have to turn the rear grips to match as I prefer downlocking.

Posted by: Richard Glabach (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: September 01, 2012 05:17PM

Billy Vivona Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't use the SK2 because a size 20 NPS cut
> short with a KDPS downlocking is by far the most
> comfy seat for me. These dinky size 16 seats make
> my hands cramp up. Tell the people at Fuji tha
> tAmericans dont' have tiny hands like they do and
> to start making bigger sized seats! lol

Are there KDPS that fit the size 20 NPS seats? If so, where do I get them?

Thanks,
Rick

Posted by: Steve Zayas (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 02, 2012 03:51AM

Rick, I can get them for you, I've been using them for 6 years. I just ordered a bunch of painted reel seats, so if you want any KDPS let me know. xlrods@yahoo.com

Posted by: Bill Tune (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: September 03, 2012 12:08PM

Jim, I am building a Drop Shot rod with the KSKSS17 seat. It will have a BGKS17E front grip and BGSKT17 rear grip. Going away from the no fore grip on this to build an "Aaron Martens" style front grip that I can hold with all fingers in front of the reel seat (three fingers on grip fore finger on blank) and still have the rear grip as an option and for casting. This will be a bit of a new style for me but I tried it on some other rods and think it should work even better with the SK2. I also think the no exposed threads will be nice!

Date: September 04, 2012 09:39AM

Bill, The BGSKT17 won't fit the spinning body (SKSS), you'll have to modify it. That's what I'm trying to figure out here...whether to offer a rear spinning grip for the KSKSS16.

Posted by: Bill Tune (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: September 04, 2012 11:37PM

Without looking it may be a 16? I will check tomorrow night as I am buttoned up for tonight. All I have done is cut the diameter of the insert down a little and ream the grip. I do agree with others that a larger diameter grip would be nice, Maybe even a 20-25 mm. I have fitted the arbors to allow the grip and winding to fit without any force. This will mainly be gripped in front of the reel so I do nt thing the rear grip will be an issue but for a castin rod it would be better in a larger size I think!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster