I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

NGC placement on noodle spinning rod?
Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 30, 2012 06:45AM

Just curious, trying to set up a 10'6 noodle spinning rod and wondered if the NGC method was best, or if guides should be spaced further apart (thinking less overall weight) due to the whippy, willow-like action of this blank. Reel used has a 41mm dia spool, running guides will be #8 d/t possible ice conditions.

Very Appreciated - Thanks, Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: NGC placement on noodle spinning rod?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 30, 2012 07:33AM

Beyond the choker guide, out to the tiptop, you can use any spacing you like. A progressive spacing is fine. Do a standard static distribution on that section to set them correctly.

Posted by: Scott Kelly (---.dsl.milwwi.ameritech.net)
Date: August 30, 2012 08:30AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Beyond the choker guide, out to the tiptop, you
> can use any spacing you like. A progressive
> spacing is fine. Do a standard static distribution
> on that section to set them correctly.
>
> .....................

Would you still go with no more than 5" spacing for the runners? Or with this not being a distance casting rod, could they be opened up a touch without affecting performance?

Date: August 30, 2012 09:07AM

That's what I just said - you can use a progressive spacing from the choker guide to the tiptop. Fewer guides, to a point, generally improves performance.

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 30, 2012 01:44PM

Thanks Tom, I use the ngc on shorter rods with good results, but wondered if there might be a point of diminishing returns using ngc on a rod of this type and length (plus the extra weight of larger guides). It's such a "willow stick", was hoping to find a balance using fewer running guides than normal.

Appreciated, Mike

Date: August 30, 2012 01:49PM

It will still work well for the same reasons - it reduces weight and gets the line under control more quickly than a COF set up. But beyond the choker guide you can use a more progressive spacing if that length would require too many guides at a 5 inch equal-distance spacing.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 30, 2012 06:37PM

Mike,
I set up the guides on a rod like this as I do with any spinning rod.
i.e. I just flex the blank starting at the tip, and just am sure that I put a guide any where it is needed so that the line follows the contour of the flexed blank.

Depending on the blank, you may need to use 5 inch spacing near the tip for the runners, or you may need to go down to 4 1/2, 4 or up to 5 1/2 or 6.

Certainly try to space them as far away as possible to minimize rod tip weight. Also, for a rod like this, I would prefer using the Pac Bay minima guides for the reasons of guide cost, as well as the light weight of these particular guides.

After you tape the guides in place, put on a reel, and run the lines through the guides. Then, pull on the tip, as if a fish were pulling on the rod. With the line under full flex conditions, check each segment of the line and be sure that you have enough guides in the right locations, so that you have relatively equal line to blank spacing for the full length of the rod.

I am guessing that it is quite likely that the first 5 or 6 guides from the tip can be spaced equally, if your tip is whippy down that far. That simply means that you have 3 feet of relatively constant diameter blank.

Good luck

Roger

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: August 30, 2012 08:54PM

Thanks Roger, your (and Tom's) method will probably be how I end up spacing the runners past the choke guide. I am using Minima guides also.

Appreciated, Mike

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: August 31, 2012 08:44AM

Mike,
Depending on the line test to be used, you may need to space closer.
On noodle blanks the extreme bend can put a lot of stress on the line (as well as the blank) if there are not enough guides.
We learned that when setting up rods for a friend who targeted the Worl Line Class record for Striped Bass, 30# fish on 2# test line.
With those long hard runs, he would shred the line eventually and break off the fish.
That was an extreme example, but we learned a lot about light line guide spacing.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster