I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide feet
Posted by: Gordon Stuart (---.home4.cgocable.net)
Date: August 28, 2012 07:34PM

Is there a special paint you can get the rod I'm rebuilding the guides are scratched and he does not want buy new ones
HELP
Gord

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide feet
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 28, 2012 07:37PM

Not really. About the best you can do is color them in with a Sharpie permanent marker. That's the cheap fix. It is what it is.

Posted by: Gordon Stuart (---.home4.cgocable.net)
Date: August 28, 2012 07:43PM

Wow never thought of that thanx
Gord

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: August 28, 2012 07:57PM

You don't say what color you are looking to match up. There are felt tipped paint pens available in many colors. I seem to remember that there have been discussions on this forum for and against using the Sharpies. Do a search on this site for "coloring guide feet", and you will get a ton of information.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.79.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: August 28, 2012 08:31PM

I mentioned this in a past post about colouring the guide feet with a marker pen, someone else repllied saying they contain chlorine which would cause rusting if i remember correctly?

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 28, 2012 10:14PM

If he won't buy new guides, which really don't cost very much, then your options are limited.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: August 28, 2012 11:38PM

G'day Gordon I use a Uniball "Signo" pen when I taper the feet on guides to disguise the ground area.These pens have a pigment ink which writes on metal .I've been using them for about 9 mths & so far no problems

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 29, 2012 06:05AM

Hi Gents,
My background includes an associate diploma in metallurgy, but I'm a long way from being an authority in that field. Corrosion is oxidation of a metal. If you keeep air and oxygen away from a metal it won't corrode. Finish does that up to a point. Different metals in contact with air and moisture can accelerate the corrosion process dramatically. EG a lot of stainless and a bit of aluminium, the aluminium will disappear in a few weeks even though by itself it is reasonably corrosion resistant due to the impervious oxide coating that forms on the surface. If your finish doesn't crack and allow air and moisture to get in you won't get any corrosion, if it does then you need to keep a close eye on them. I don't put anything on the guide feet, but I'm using mostly titanium frames these days, which are basically impervious to corrosion.
Check the contents of any markers or paint you use on guide feet. Different metals can cause problems as does chlorine with stainless.
Wash the rods and guides thoroughly after each use and keep an eye out for cracks in the finish.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Garry N Harris (---.pa.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: August 29, 2012 06:25PM

I borrow my daughters nail polish to touch up the feet on guides.

I always take life with a grain of salt. Plus a slice of lemon and a shot of Tequila.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster