I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Vertical jig rods
Posted by: Herman Knott (---.gci.net)
Date: August 28, 2012 01:44AM

Im building 2 Mud Hole vertical jig rods 40-60 lb 6 foot long and want to do a acid wrap for the guides and want to use micro guides.
Now for my question can i use concept guides maby a size 6 for a stripper and 4 the rest of the way including the tip top it has a 4 mm tip tube maby a total of 6 ot 7 guides total..
And im goig to ust it for jig fishing for rock fish and halibut
Any suggestions
Im all ears

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vertical jig rods
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 28, 2012 05:55AM

What line are you going to use?. Also do you need to pass a leader knot?? That seems like pretty small guides for a 40-60 lb blank. Just saying......

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Harry Kelly (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 28, 2012 06:28AM

I wouldn't go with micro's , your going to have problems with leader knots, found this out the hard way on a ACID wrapped JAWS jigging blank out on a cod trip...

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: August 28, 2012 06:33AM

Not the application for micro's. Besides knot clearance, the micro's will not be durable enough for such a demanding application.

Kevin Knox
ANGLER'S ENVY CUSTOM RODS
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Posted by: Craig Mullins (12.47.193.---)
Date: August 28, 2012 08:36AM

I don't know what reel you are using, but you are going to find that you will need at the very LEAST a 16, and probably a 20 stripper guide. You are going to need some clearance from the blank on the first guide. I wouldn't go smaller than 8 for any others...including the top.

Date: August 28, 2012 12:07PM

I guess i should have added that im using 80# spectra brade and the only knot will be to 60# dacron backing and im using a penn 320 GTI.
I have read a cupple good points the stripper guide size around a 16 or so and running guides 8s how many total guids im thinking 6-7 it is a 6 root rod
Thanks

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 28, 2012 12:55PM

As kevin knox stated, this is not the application for micros. They have ZERO benefit and plenty of hinderance when used in this application. Generally these rods are going to stop with the smallest guide being an 8, but more often no smaller than a 10. I build quite a few of these rods. You want double footed guides for durability, you want want double footed guides for durability. Yes I said that twice. These rods take a ton of abuse and fish tremendous amounts of drag upwards of 20-30 pounds off the reel.

The tip size on the blanks also prohibits anything but a size 8 ring minimum anyhow.

Date: August 28, 2012 01:15PM

Sean good points . I was thinking micro for weight. But a good dubble foot in a 8 would be ok and a 18 for a stripper how many guids total do you think for a acid wrap im thinking 6-7 total?

Date: August 28, 2012 01:27PM

Ok here is what i have decides on
A 16 stripper
8s for running guides and tip top
A total of 8 guides dubble foot
Thanks for the input guys what a great bunch.
See you all at the expo
Herman

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: August 28, 2012 05:02PM

Herman,
You are over thinking this. Your reel will ad more weight than anything else. You are talking probably an ounce difference in guide sizes yet many ounces are added in reel weight. Yet, the performance of a 16 guide vs a 20 or 25 are going to be huge. On my personal rods, I am hard pressed to use below a 25 for the first guide in conventional or spiral applications. Get hooked up to an amberjack and have that rod bend into the handle and you will see why the higher guide clearance is necessary. That, and braid and skin don't mix. Skin will lose every time.

Kevin Knox
ANGLER'S ENVY CUSTOM RODS
QUEEN ANNE, MD 21657
#_#_#_#_#
www.anglersenvy.com

Date: August 28, 2012 07:33PM

you are correct Kevin i need a taller guide so i added a 24 a 26 and a 28 and will check them out as well.
Thanks for all the help
Herman

Posted by: Craig Mullins (---.dhcp.mtgm.al.charter.com)
Date: August 28, 2012 07:47PM

Who thinks we are being trolled, 10/0 Mustad 7732 style?? I feel the hook set myself.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.pa.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: August 28, 2012 09:01PM

Thought so too Craig.

Anyway, my 2c. On a jig stick, 80 lb braid, running no leader is suicide. Your 8's will pass wind-ons fine, but if you are knotting leaders, I would agree with the others and run 10's.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 28, 2012 09:26PM

You don't get any bonus points for using smaller guides. Depending on the blank and how it bends, 20 and 10's s teh way to go. Leader knots don't pass through 8's too well, and if oyu ever fish with a topshot of mono in teh future you won't need to rebuild the rod. There is absolutely no performance differnece using all 8's or all 10's, except that the 10's will pass knots better and they are stronger. Wha guides are you planning to use?

Date: August 28, 2012 10:12PM

well thanks Billy i will take that into advisement

Date: August 30, 2012 03:24AM

BTRLC 20 for stripper and 10s all the rest of the way. from mud hole they should be here next week.
Split grip and contured front grip with a channel lock real seat.
Should catch halibut no prob.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster