I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

When Was Madeira Thread Intoduced Into Rod Building?
Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.97.244.87.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: August 26, 2012 04:59PM

Interested in knowing how the polyneon sewing thread first took off in rod building and became so popular in weaving and probably the most favourite choice of thread for crosswrap patterns. Anyone know who first started using this beautiful stuff with it's huge range of vibrant colours, i'm guessing Billy Vivona and the nerbs group?

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: When Was Madeira Thread Intoduced Into Rod Building?
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse3.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 26, 2012 06:10PM

Hi Steve,
Good question and I would like to know also. Probably someone saw it in a sewing store was impressed by the colours and decided to give it a go. I would also like to know where the rumours about it "not being strong enough for guide wraps" or "it's to stretchy" came from as they certainly put a lot of people off using it for guide wraps. I've been using it for guide wraps for over five years now and never had any guide issues that could be related to the thread. The testing I've done on strength and stretch have shown that the rumours were bulldust. Outstanding colour range and more than strong enough for guide wraps.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: August 26, 2012 06:48PM

It became mainstream when I started posting about it on this forum & Allcoast. As far as I know, the first person to use MAdeira was Bernie Cohen, he only used the metallics though. I spoke to him many times about this, and afterhe passed away and left me all his rod building stuff, I found reciepts from MAdeira dating back to 1995. He used both the super twist and meteallics, not polyneon. I first heard about the metallics from Al Goldberg who used to sell them at Rodcrafter seminars. I began investigating what other threads they had available, and picked up some of hte Jewel threads (holographic) form EBAT, when I showed up to teh next seminar (MArch 2001) there was another builder who was using the Polyneon on his wraps (Big Macs from Ohio). Me & my friend Andrew McDermott contacted Madeira and they sent us a bunch of samples. I placed an order and began using it on all my wraps, and posting photos on teh forums tha tI was on (moment of fame and allocast as well as fishingphotos). I get promoting and talking about it as much as I can, an dpeople started to pick up on it and spread the word.

As far as guide wraps go - I used to tell people it wasn't strogn enough for guides and I didn't like how hard it was ot wrap guides & finish it. Mark Crouse put the not strong enough thing to rest by wrapping a rod and hanging a box of laundry detergent from teh tip and the guides hled securely. jim Rippe was the first person to post that he succesfully did a Tartan with Madeira.

Her eis the first post on this forum tha tmentions Polyneon, I had been using it for 6 months at the time. [rodbuilding.org]

Here's the last page of a search for polyneon, you can see I was the only one using it for a while before others started catching on and posting abotu it: [rodbuilding.org]

Date: August 26, 2012 06:53PM

Here's some more threads for you guys to read on the history of MAdeira: [rodbuilding.org]
One more: [rodbuilding.org]

I wonder how much money I made for MAdeira

Posted by: Steve Mcleod (---.140.112.82.dyn.jtglobal.com)
Date: August 26, 2012 07:16PM

Hi, Billy. Thanks for the history and old threads, interesting reading, put a lot of myths about it to rest.

Jersey, Channel Islands. (U.K.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2012 07:44PM by Steve Mcleod.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse3.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 26, 2012 07:53PM

Hi Billy,
Thanks for the info, I now have a bit of background. People trying new things is the way that most new stuff gets started. Wish I'd been game about 35 years ago. When doing one of my first rods I couldn't get the line to stop touching the blank, a no no in those days. I had the thought "what if I put the guides on the bottom of the rod". I'd never heard of Roberts wrap, spiral wrap or acid rod, to me it was something new. I chickened out because I thought I'd get laughed out of the fishing club. Stupid me!! now you have to pay me to put guides on top!! These days I don't give a hoot what people think and on the odd occasion I come up with a new idea, to me, I go ahead and try it.
I started using madeira for guide wraps before I heard all those rumours and never had a problem. I beleived the extra stretch rumour and upped my tension by about 1/4 to compensate but I new the strength was not a problem. After I did the testing and found out that it's only about 1% more stretchy than gudebrod I left the tension the same as I could still move the guides with a bit of effort. Built a lot of rods with madeira and never had an issue with guide strength. Some people don't like using cp on guide wraps but I've been doing ever since I started building and never had an issue. Back in those days we used to call it filler as it did remove the small gaps between threads and that was the main reason I used the stuff. Madeira has to have it unless you want translucent wraps and to me it's a small price to pay for the oustanding colour range available.
I suppose I can forgive you for perpetuating the rumours as you help a lot of builders and do tremendous stuff.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 26, 2012 09:11PM

Hi gang,

I wish my memory was better so I could be more accurate. I will give it my best shot.

I do not remember when and where I first heard or read about the Robison-Anton Textile Co. I was interested in their metallic thread. It was called "J" Metallic. I called their 800 number and asked for samples. They sent me spools that were almost empty. I remember them being about 4" long. I asked both of my daughters to call and ask for samples also. This is how i accumulated 11 of the 16 samples shown in their color card No. 10H. I still have that first color card. Then I was made aware of Maderia thread.

The samples were like an "A" size thread. I used the thread for underwraps and learned the hard way that the epoxy finish I was using at the time did not adhere to the thread very well. Color seal/preserver was a must.

I remember talking about this "J" metallic thread at a Rod Crafter National Seminar and telling how I got the samples. Yes, Al Goldberg took the journey to the net step by stocking and selling the thread. Not sure if Al started with the "J" Metallic or went right to the Maderia thread. I believe that he still uses it today. Billy Vivona then took Maderia to the next level by using and selling all the many shades of each color.

I am sure that someone around our country may have been early on the scene.

Many years ago there was a thread company who made many shades of each color and the weavers treasured the choices. I had some when I bought out a rod builder and sold it all over the world to weavers. Wish I could remember their name. Many of you know the name. Well, the arrival of Maderia thread championed by Billy V changed all that.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2012 08:01AM by Capt Neil Faulkner.

Posted by: Andrew McDermott (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 26, 2012 11:34PM

Billy I remember that all too well! You also got your Clemens lathe at that gathering! You beat me by minutes if I remember correctly!

Date: August 27, 2012 11:08AM

As soon as I found out Dick was selling that lathe, I jumped on it. Best investment ever!!

Posted by: mark crouse (---.unassigned.ntelos.net)
Date: August 28, 2012 02:20PM

Hi guys
I have been building rods rods since 1975 and used all available threads: Talbot (UK), Holland, Gudebrod, Madeira and Ackerman (Germany), there is no rule what to use just try them and if they do not work go to the next, Ackerman and Madeira where easy for me to get since i was living at the time in Germany, Billy Vivona got me back to them with finding access to them here in the US. Madeira had metalic threads way before Gudebrod.
Mark

Posted by: corky fleming (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: August 28, 2012 04:30PM

When I started back building rods I went upstairs and stold my wife's embroidery thread. It was a no brainer for me. Just glad it worked out the way it did.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: September 03, 2012 04:45PM

I knew guys that were using this stuff back in the 80's; long before forums and well before I started building. :)

Date: September 04, 2012 08:44AM

I'm sure there were people using it, a sI posted I saw someone else's rods with it. But they didn't popularize it and make it a common household rodbuilding name.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster