I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thank you Ken Preston, Tom Kirkman
Posted by: George Dirgo (---.dsl.bkfd14.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 22, 2012 02:13PM

Ken and Tom I just wanted to take a moment to thank you.Ken, It was many years ago and on another forum but... when I first got into Rodbuilding I plagued you with questions and you always helped and provided me with the answers and advice that I needed, I probably never mentioned it but you were a great mentor. Tom your book was a great companion to Dale Clemens "Advanced Custom Rodbuilding" and walked me through the process with good and sound methods and advice.. I've recently gathered up my rod building stuff and cleaned it all up. It's been sitting for years. It's time to make some more rods. I'm in the process of re-discovering my hobby.. I guess this message not only serves as a thank you to my mentors but it is also a warning to all the others on this forum. I'm sure there will be more questions.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thank you Ken Preston, Tom Kirkman
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 22, 2012 06:14PM

Welcome Back!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Richard Curry (---.65.187.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 23, 2012 03:44AM

Tom Kirkman'

I have also just got back in to rod building , I read you'r book " Rod-Building Guide"and was very pleased
with how easy it is to follow. I later got a gift from my son of a book by Dale Clemens "Advanced Custom Rod building" , it came in the form of a Kindle reader ,(i think that is what they call it) it is hard to back up say 10or 20 pages to find something you want to re read. I wish my son had got me the book, but I do read his work and learn from it. I read about the art of weaving thread.I worked with it some, but found it hard to go back and re read what Dale was talking about because of the Kindle, not his writing.
Have you written any thing on the art of Weaving on rods? I would like to find a book just about weaving on rods. Do you know of any that are easy to follow as you'rs are?
Again thank you for you'r book. I hope to see more of you'r writing soon.

Richard Curry

What is life without fishing ?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 23, 2012 07:27AM

I'm glad you found it easy to follow - that was my intent when I accept the publisher's inquiry. To offer something that most any new builder could easily follow and understand. The publisher hasn't asked me to do anything on weaving and with the other books out there now I doubt they will.

Have you read Jim Upton's book on weaving? That's where I'd start, at least after having read the articles (also by Jim) on weaving in RodMaker.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: August 23, 2012 08:39AM

George -
Thank you, I'm flattered! I'm always willing to help out whenever I can. I'm certain you will get lots of help on this forum.

Posted by: Richard Curry (---.65.187.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 23, 2012 11:26AM

Tom-
I have a subscription to Rod-maker magazine, I truly love it .I must re new this week ,before I do, can you tell me what issue Jim Upton wrote about weaving/ I need to get it when I renew,ok?
Again, thank you for the work you do for this Forum and Rod maker magazine,. You have given so much knowledge to so many of us I feel so lucky to have this forum .

Richard Curry

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 23, 2012 11:28AM

I'll have to go in and look. I'll try to get back to you this afternoon on the volume and issue number. It's been a ways back.

Posted by: Richard Curry (---.216.19.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 28, 2012 01:29AM

Tom,
I have a problem , You did not give me the name of the book by Jim Upton on weaving. I looked up his name on Amazon .com got no where went to Books- a-Million they had nothing on him , so do you know where I can find the book? Do you have a e-mail address for him? I would like to get some help to learn more about this art .
Thank you for your help. I hope to come to the Expo in Feb. if I can come up with the cash to wake the trip.
Richard Curry

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: August 28, 2012 07:16AM

Hello Richard.

The name of the book is "A Guide to Thread Weaving For The Custom Rod Builder". By James Upton.
A lot of the sponcers on the left sell it.

As far as articules written by Jim are 5/3-pg. 24 "The Wonder Weaver", 5/4-pg.10 "Introduction to Weaving", 7/4-pg.17 "Thread Art Glossary", 9/3-pg.14 "A Simple Weaving Jig", 9/3-pg.35 A drawing of a weaving jig.

Now if I got any wrong or left any out I think Tom will let us know about it.

I belive that Jim Lupton is one of the best weavers in the industry and one of the best inovaters in the rod building industry.

Tight Wraps.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Richard Curry (---.216.19.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 28, 2012 04:13PM

Hello Bob,

Thanks for the info. Now to find book. Can you tell me 5/3 pg.24 "The wonder weaver" . If I read this long hand as " VOLUME 5 ISSUE 3 page 24. am I right? (V5 I 3 pg.24) I know I may be thick headed but I am new to this kind of short hand. If I am right I'm good to go and thank you for you'r help.
I am finding that this art of rod building is teaching me how much I have to learn about the craft . The more I learn the more I find I need to know. So again thank you and Mr.Kirkman MR. Clemens and so many others for you'r help..
Richard Curry
Maysville GA.

Posted by: Richard Curry (---.62.91.75.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: August 31, 2012 12:54AM

Bob,

OK Bob , I don't know how I missed the book , I found it at Mud Hole.com. I buy most all my parts from them. Good service from them about a six day turn around. Well live and learn. Thank you again for you'r help.
Richard Curry
Maysville GA.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: August 31, 2012 08:50AM

Hello Richard.

I've been away, but yes volume 5 Issue 3 page 24.

You are very Welcome!

Tight Wraps and enjoy the adiction that is Rod Building!

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster