I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Marbling + Epoxy = Disappointment
Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 22, 2012 10:58AM

Due to time constraints and the fact that I still can't wrap (no pun intended) my head around the idea that you can make a fish or a flag out of thread, I tend to lean toward marbling as a suitable, fast, attractive decoration. I mix the pigment and, as is often indicated in marbling tutorials, wait a bit so the epoxy holding the pigment is not so thin that colors blend too much. Then I do the whole drag and swirl routine until I feel like I've just tie-died a T-shirt back in 1969. I don't apply any heat when finished so the colors don't blend together. The result is a relatively bumpy finish.

The challenge is obvious; put a perfectly smooth finish coat (or two or three) on a bumpy, lumpy marbled base. I can't seem to get it right. There's a trick in there somewhere that I am completely missing.

Help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Marbling + Epoxy = Disappointment
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: August 22, 2012 01:24PM

Hello Jim.

I put the marble down and the next day I put a medium thick clear coat on, wait two day's then sand it into a nice round then add whatever thickness I want.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Brian King (216.48.130.---)
Date: August 22, 2012 01:44PM

I always add a second coat of hi-build epoxy after the pigment added coat has fully dried. Occasionally it may require a third coat to really get the area smooth(non-lumpy) to the touch. If I am adding a sticker or some type of wrap on top of the marbled area I add 2 more coats of low-build.

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (64.191.173.---)
Date: August 22, 2012 03:33PM

My process is that I put down the base coat with color (sometimes I'll paint a matte/black blank another color before the basecoat). I also use a disposable $.99 paint pallete, and go ahead and mix my marbling colors with epoxy. Then I wait a little over an hour before I start adding the top colors; Kenneth Price suggested to me to give it some time to set up, and I found I like an hour or so the best. With just the basecoat down, you can heat it up some and move it around to get it level. Then I start adding my other colors and doing my marbling an hour later. The next day, add your threads to the ends if desired, and add two more coats.

This is one of the recent ones I did. I painted metallic blue on the blank, then when it dried, I added a basecoat of metallic blue. This prevented the white from showing through the basecoat. My top colors were two different blues and white. Once it all dried, I added the thread, and two more coats of epoxy. [www.rodbuilding.org]

*my basement is high 60's or low 70s so 1 hour seems to be a good wait time for me. If it was warmer, it would be less time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/26/2012 10:40PM by Jeremy Reed.

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns14.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: August 22, 2012 03:41PM

Hi Jeremy,
That's a great job. I'm going to have a crack at it shortly so thanks for the advice.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: August 22, 2012 03:56PM

Jim,

Dont wait as long before starting your marbling effort. This way it has a little more time to "lay down". Then add a nice heavy coat of lite build over it the next day and let that sit and lay down. Smooth as silk.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

DR

Posted by: Craig Mullins (12.47.193.---)
Date: August 22, 2012 03:57PM

I have been doing a bunch of marbling and I actually prefer the flowing and clouding you get when you use heat. You can move some parts more than others and create waves and lines much like the patterns in Cipollino marble. Just my preference I guess...

Oh, the finish turns out perfectly flat too. One top coat and you're good to go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/22/2012 03:59PM by Craig Mullins.

Date: August 22, 2012 04:54PM

Nice work Jeremy, Duane too.. You guys are making this sound way easier than I find it to be. I found a really nice pearl pigment but it's slightly translucent and it takes a lot to get any opacity. Do you think maybe it's thickening the epoxy to the point where I'm getting some higher than average peaks and valleys? It sets up nicely, but maybe I'm using too much. Tried mixing with a little bit of Testors and it worked fine. Maybe more Testors and less pearl would help. Tried turning at higher speeds (was at 6 or 8 rpm's) while applying but that didn't seem to help either.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 22, 2012 05:06PM

Make sure the pigment you add is mostly solid and use only enough to get the opacity you want. Adding any sort of liquid to the epoxy is going to change its properties to some extent, well so does the solid, but not nearly as much as any liquid solvent you get in there.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 22, 2012 05:10PM

Painting under first sounds like the Trick to get true colors

Date: August 22, 2012 05:51PM

No problems with the epoxy setting up and I'm using a base coat. It's not the "under" work, it's the "over" work that's getting me. I'll try working sooner (although I've never waited an hour like Jeremy), a little heat, less pearl and then sandpaper if it's still not right!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: August 22, 2012 06:22PM

After you do all the work

Let it sit overnight

Then start the top coats let each one dry -- to the touch before adding another coat

Patience

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: August 22, 2012 07:03PM

Gents,
See Mike Barkley's Library post.
Pigments only, no draining of solvents! All other advice given still applies.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (---.static.insightbb.com)
Date: August 22, 2012 09:19PM

Thanks for the compliments. I'm just now getting it to work the way I like it. The first few ones not so good. On mine, I am using testors paints. I use a little wooden pick to scrap the pigment from the bottom of the little jar. On some colors such as metal flake colors, I've found that shaking it up first helps to get a truer color. I like my marbling where the lines are more defined as opposed to blending, so that's why I wait about an hour or so before adding the top colors. I put a dot down, then I use a little pick and make starfish with each dot I put on the basecoat. Sometimes I'll hit it with a little heat with the heat gun after I get it all done, just to smooth it out a little. I'm also usually using Billy's suggested mix of finish, mixing Threadmaster and ProKote. I haven't had the chance to use pigments yet so I know nothing about them.

This is the little palette I use to mix up the top coat colors. [www.joann.com]

What's remaining in the little pods can be used as winding checks once they dry.

I forgot to add, my basement is usually 70 degrees or sometimes less, that is why I'm able to wait on hour or so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2012 06:47PM by Jeremy Reed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster