I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rod guide selection.
Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: August 21, 2012 08:32PM

I am going to place an order tomorrow for a 9' 5wt. PacBay quick line blank. I have never seen one of these, but have heard they were very good. I would really like to hear from anyone that has built one of these. I am going to use wire single foot guides except for the stripper and maybe the next guide up. These will be a ceramic guide of some sort. I am looking for guide size and placement suggestions for this rod.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod guide selection.
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 21, 2012 09:32PM

They're very nice blanks. I have one but have not built it yet. For me, it'd be Minima guides all the way. Probably 12, 8 and then 5's on out.

Date: August 21, 2012 10:17PM

Tom:

Sorry for being so dumb, but I have never seen the Minima guides. I did a quick search on Google. These appear to be a single foot guide. Would you use a single foot stripper as well, or go to a double foot? Can't figure out the difference between the Minima 3 and Minima 4. I have built lots of fly rods, but this is all new ground for me.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Drew Pollock (---.100-30-64.ftth.swbr.surewest.net)
Date: August 21, 2012 11:34PM

I've built an 8wt Quickline. It's a nice blank that is better than it's price would indicate. The gloss black finish is really nice.

I would reconsider the ceramic guides. Keep the rod light. Consider REC single foot running guides, to minimize weight and because they are excellent, nice guides, and perfect on a 5wt fly rod.

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: August 22, 2012 12:50AM

Tom
It seem you like that Minima 4 as running guide.
I use it for my Spinning and Casting rods and really like them.
What are for you pro and con versus single foot wire guide (say PB SF guide or REC) ?

I think they weight more than SF Wire guide so you soul have a good reason.
I'm going to use Minima 4 as stripper (lighter than ceramic) to see of they worl for me.
But I'm not yet ready to try them as running, so I like to ear from who use them.
I tried in the past ceramic single foot, way to heavy for me.

Tanks.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: August 22, 2012 07:49AM

Any weight difference between those guides is negligible. The Minima 4's have rings that are flanged on both sides. I typically use double foot stripping guide, another double foot for the transition guide, and then all single foot runners. You could use single foots all the way out if you wanted, the line doesn't care.

Date: August 22, 2012 07:57PM

I placed my order today. 9’ 5wt Quick Line blank, and minima 4 guides. I didn’t like the looks of the Pac Bay Model MTV Minima tip top, so went with the Model P. I really liked the looks of their Model MT, but they don’t make it in the Minima 4. The question that I have is why do these companies make guides down to size 4 or smaller, but don’t seem to make a matching tip top, or did I miss something? I am really excited about starting this build. I can see it in my mind, and I haven’t been able to do that for the last couple of builds. Very simple Black a silver from butt to tip top.

I want to thank the people at Anglers Workshop for putting up with me. They are working on their new web page, and I lost my paper copy of their catalog. They were very patient while working through getting this order placed. Great custom service.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster