I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex Coat Cure Time....
Posted by: Art Cory (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: February 14, 2003 01:39PM

assuming you've done it all perfectly, the mix, application, etc., how long do you all wait before fishing the rod? the instructions say eight hours but I don't really buy that, so a couple days or does the rod need to sit for a couple of weeks to really give it time to cure super hard? oh yeah, I'm using Flex Coat Lite.

I'm on the home stretch, last step, of my first project. thanks to everyone for the invaluable info.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex Coat Cure Time....
Posted by: Emory Harry (---.client.attbi.com)
Date: February 14, 2003 01:45PM

Art,
My experience with Flex Coat, and I don't think that other epoxies are very much different, is that it takes a good week, depending upon temperature, for it to get completely hard. However, I think that it is saft to use in a couple of days.

Posted by: Jeff D. Fultz (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 14, 2003 02:26PM

I have applied Flex Coat to wraps on a fly rod at 9pm on a Tuesday night and then taken that same rod out for a test session on the river at 9am the next morning. I have done this in 90 degree temps and below 0 temps. I have never had anything happen to finish doing this. I am, however, carefully to not scratch the finish when testing a rod like this. Flex Coat may not be the prettiest finish, but it sure is super easy to work with. I mostly use a few other finishes for customers rods, which require longer curing times, but if I need to get a rod out the door, Flex Coat is my choice. I would recommend at least a 24 hour curing period before handing a customer there new rod, I doubt they could scratch the finish very easily at that point.

Jeff - Platte River Rods

Posted by: Tom Kohl (Petro Chem) (---.worldcom.com)
Date: February 14, 2003 02:33PM

Hi Art-

I agree with Emory. You can use the rod as soon as the next day.... but I like to wait. If the rod is for a customer, I hold it for at least a few days before delivering it. Especially if it will be shipped in a tube and (mis)handled by UPS.

If I can dent the finish with a fingernail, I'm hesitant to use it. I will wait until I can't before using it.

Tom Kohl
Petrochemical

Posted by: Robert Box (---.245.166.242.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: February 16, 2003 09:33PM

Just finished FC-lite on 2 rods this weekend, with 12hrs between coats. At 60F-70F, they're still a little soft after 24hrs. wont fish them till next weekend. When i cant dent my test glob on tinfoil, theyre good to go.
Aint this fun!
RB

Posted by: Benbow Cheesman (---.mobile.uscc.net)
Date: September 21, 2017 03:25PM

Yes it's fun. Question: is it necessary for the first coat of epoxy to be completely hard before applying the second coat?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster